CARDIFF CITY VS LIVERPOOL - 26 february 2012, ko: 16:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:10 pm

CARLING CUP FINAL

The last time we played them, was when Fowler was with the Bluebirds, and we won 2-1 thanks to goals from Gerrard and El Zhar.

Referee is Mark Clattenburg.

Cardiff's Route to the Final
Cardiff City needed extra time to overcome Oxford United 3-1 away in the first round of the competition and more extra time to beat Huddersfield Town 5-3 at home in round two. They then battled to a 2-2 draw after extra time at home to Leicester City and needed a 7-6 win in the resultant penalty shoot-out to see them through.

Key Players - Cardiff City
Peter Whittingham – Cardiff’s magician is the man most likely to create something special to beat Liverpool. His form has been as spectacular as we have come to expect, scoring goals and creating them on a regular basis. It will be a tough battle against Liverpool’s talented midfield but it is one he will relish.

Kenny Miller – A lethal finisher who has cup final experience with Rangers. He has played in plenty of big occasions over his career and the prospect of being an underdog won’t phase him.

Tom Heaton – The hero of the Semi-Final, this is a tough ask for Heaton who has been forced to play second fiddle to David Marshall for league action. Despite not being a regular in the side he has been solid when called upon and has the chance to immortalise himself in Cardiff City history here.

Liverpool's Route to the Final
Liverpool started with a comfortable 3-1 away win at Exeter City followed by a narrow 2-1 away win over Brighton. The same score saw them through round four away at Stoke City.

The tie of the quarter finals saw Liverpool travel away to Stamford Bridge where they beat hosts Chelsea 2-0. Hard opposition in the form of Manchester City faced the Merseysiders in the semi-final but they got off to a good start with a 1-0 win away at Eastlands. It nearly all went wrong in the return leg when Manchester City twice took the lead and but Craig Bellamy equaliser 16 minutes from time to send Liverpool through to the final.

Liverpool FC
This is the line-up I would like to see:

--------------Reina

Johnson--Skrtel--Agger--Enrique

Kuyt--Gerrard--Adam--Bellamy

-------Suarez---Carroll

I reckon, a 4-0 win for Liverpool with Suarez, Bellamy, Skrtel and Johnson netting the goals.

An interesting stat is that Cardiff City has a far superior record against us, beating us 18 times, drawing twice and losing 9 times. They have scored 56 goals against us, and conceded 39.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:12 pm

oh hell, i thought the game was this week :( sorry
maypaxvobiscum

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:06 pm

open for business again
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Kenny is going to have some selection headache I think.  Do we start Carroll?  Are Bellamy and Agger fit to play?  Would Carra be considered giving his experience in finals? 

I wouldnt mind seeing the below team although I think Hendo, Adam and Downing will all start.  Could play the same team that started against Brighton with Agger coming in for Carra
             Reina
Johnson  Skrtel Agger  Enrique

Spearing Gerrard 
Kuyt                              Bellamy
             Suarez Carroll
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:31 pm

We should win this, its a tricky final because you never know those smaller side what they are capable of in the cups, but we have enough quality to win it.

I'll go for a 2-1 victory for Liverpool
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:38 pm

in many ways it reminds me of birmingham in 2001 when we were clear favourites and struggled big time. we could easily have lost the game in extra time.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:46 pm

stmichael wrote:in many ways it reminds me of birmingham in 2001 when we were clear favourites and struggled big time. we could easily have lost the game in extra time.

West Ham in 2006 too
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:57 pm

We need to give them some respect and just be patient.  It annoys me hearing some fans hoping for a 4 nil win.  I just want us to collect the bloody trophy at the end!
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:27 pm

It's the new Wembley, no one knows how we will play here, it could turn into a second home or a bogey ground within 90 mins.

There's no way I'd start Bellamy. Keep the same team as sunday and after 60 mins see how we are.

Bellars has to be on at the end though, it'd mean so much to him.

Cardiff 1 - 4 Liverpool (Suarez, Carroll, Gerrard, Bellamy)
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:50 pm

Kudos to Cardiff for making the final but I hoping for a workmanlike performance and 2-0 win

Just great to see us back at Wembly
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:55 pm

Roger Red Hat wrote:There's no way I'd start Bellamy.

Really? One of the first names on the team sheet for me.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:13 pm

I hear ya, but, I'm one of those people who probably wouldn't change a winning formula. I'd play the team we had vs Brighton but then bring him on

I love Bellamy, he'd be in my team every game but who would you drop? Carroll? Suarez?
Last edited by Roger Red Hat on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:35 pm

stmichael wrote:
Roger Red Hat wrote:There's no way I'd start Bellamy.

Really? One of the first names on the team sheet for me.

Same here.  Not only is he one of our most dependable players as a starter, but it's against his boyhood club and will push him to do better.

If we were to basically keep the same lineup, which I expect us today, but bring in Agger for Carra possibly, then I could see Bellamy replacing Hendo with Downing moved to the right.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Greavesie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:23 pm

God knows what Kenny will put out, Carroll Gerrard and Suarez looked promising in their first start together.

Collecting the trophy at the end is the only thing I want, couldn't give a stuff how

YNWA
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby GRAHAM01 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:39 pm

play them all swap bells for downing ?? that's what i would do
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<