Moving forward - Now that the race for 4th is over

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mart » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:23 am

alwayslfc wrote:If FSG wants to get us back to the glory days, they MUST help to sell us to some oil rich Arab multi billionaire as a first step. If we continue with the current 'poor' owners, we are going no where and we'll become a permanent mid table side.

No its enough to get back into CL. But we cant have too many years without CL-football.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:27 pm

alwayslfc wrote:The best result we can get against Everton is a draw and that would be a great relief. With the way we're playing, we deserve to get beat again. Actually, I knew after watching the Carling Cup final, our season is doomed. Though we won the cup, I noticed that our finishing is ***** and we struggled against a championship side, there was no way we would finish 4th I said to myself and unfortunately Liverpool have gone beyond that and looks like 7th place finish will be hard. Oh dear, this is bringing back the nightmares of the Hodgson tenure all over again. Looks like KD is no saviour.

One of major root problems, other than those dud British signings, KD no longer has what it takes etc which I can go on and on...,  I would say, our owners are not rich enough. Yes, I thank them for clearing our debt problem BUT they are poor compare to the owners of City, Chelsea and PSG who will sign Suarez in the summer when we'll finish around 10th place. Football today is ALL ABOUT MULTI TRILLIONAIRE OWNERS AND CHAMPIONS LEAGUE and currently we don't have both.

If FSG wants to get us back to the glory days, they MUST help to sell us to some oil rich Arab multi billionaire as a first step. If we continue with the current 'poor' owners, we are going no where and we'll become a permanent mid table side. So our root problem IMO,  is that our owners are not rich enough.

Wow.. seriously are you for real?

That is the funniest thing i have EVER read on this forum!!!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:35 pm

alwayslfc wrote:The best result we can get against Everton is a draw and that would be a great relief. With the way we're playing, we deserve to get beat again.

well i won't bother going then. thanks for that convincing argument.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby D___C » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:45 pm

mart wrote:No its enough to get back into CL. But we cant have too many years without CL-football.

This is the key point some of the dinosaurs among our fanbase must understand (no offence gents), but each year we miss out on CL we are being left further behind. Harking back to how things were done in the past is irrelevant, its a different game. 20 years ago if we finished 7th we would be no further back than the team that finished 2nd.

If you spend over 100 million and make the squad weaker, and the club stands to finish with the lowest points total in the Premier League era, then the managers job will be under intense scrutiny. As it should be, we are a big club afterall.

My concern is we have newly signed players for extortionate fees, one of whom beyond extortionate, that are eating into the clubs coffers with massive wages. The damage that those signings have done has been devastating, but whats most important now is how that damage can be limited. Getting them out the door, off the wage bill, and recoup close to half of what we spent, that would be a result. Then we build again in the summer and whatever happens next season will be judgement.
D___C

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:59 pm

D___C wrote:
mart wrote:No its enough to get back into CL. But we cant have too many years without CL-football.

This is the key point some of the dinosaurs among our fanbase must understand (no offence gents), but each year we miss out on CL we are being left further behind. Harking back to how things were done in the past is irrelevant, its a different game. 20 years ago if we finished 7th we would be no further back than the team that finished 2nd.

If you spend over 100 million and make the squad weaker, and the club stands to finish with the lowest points total in the Premier League era, then the managers job will be under intense scrutiny. As it should be, we are a big club afterall.

My concern is we have newly signed players for extortionate fees, one of whom beyond extortionate, that are eating into the clubs coffers with massive wages. The damage that those signings have done has been devastating, but whats most important now is how that damage can be limited. Getting them out the door, off the wage bill, and recoup close to half of what we spent, that would be a result. Then we build again in the summer and whatever happens next season will be judgement.

ignoring your neurotic last paragraph for a moment, who do you blame for the signings?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby D___C » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:21 am

I'm not certain who is to blame, because its never been made clear who sanctioned the signings.

My gut feeling is that it is primarily Comolli at fault for signing Andy Carroll.

Reason;
Would you allow a temporary manager, someone on a 5 month contract, sign someone for 35 million?

There was absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that Kenny would get the job beyond 5 months, infact it looked likely that he wouldnt as it was well documented Mr Henry sought a young manager full time. With that in mind, theres no way you would allow such a major outlay, a player signed for 5 years, be made by someone who was only expected to "mind the shop" for 5 months. Furthermore, Kenny took the job knowing that he had to accept Comolli, he was not in a position to bargain as the main reason he got the job was because of fans calling for it. Without fan input he wouldnt have sniffed the job, he was not on Mr Henrys radar. Kenny wouldn't have been considered for any other top team in the country, any application wouldn't have been looked at, he got it because of his connection with us, it was a good PR move by Mr Henry. Such was the impresssive form in those 5 months Mr Henry had no option but to have a rethink and so he got the job full time.

Having said that, Kenny also has to shoulder much of the blame as he never once went against the signing. He wouldnt manage a team with a player forced upon him, temporary position or not. But then again, in many of the club's most important games Carroll has been rooted to the bench, hardly a sign of a manager who has belief in you, or was willing to make you the 8th most expensive player ever.

Whatever the truth is, i doubt we will ever know as Kenny is not the type to air dirty linen in public. He would always put the club before himself.
D___C

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:12 pm

D___C wrote:I'm not certain who is to blame, because its never been made clear who sanctioned the signings.

My gut feeling is that it is primarily Comolli at fault for signing Andy Carroll.

Reason;
Would you allow a temporary manager, someone on a 5 month contract, sign someone for 35 million?

There was absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that Kenny would get the job beyond 5 months, infact it looked likely that he wouldnt as it was well documented Mr Henry sought a young manager full time. With that in mind, theres no way you would allow such a major outlay, a player signed for 5 years, be made by someone who was only expected to "mind the shop" for 5 months. Furthermore, Kenny took the job knowing that he had to accept Comolli, he was not in a position to bargain as the main reason he got the job was because of fans calling for it. Without fan input he wouldnt have sniffed the job, he was not on Mr Henrys radar. Kenny wouldn't have been considered for any other top team in the country, any application wouldn't have been looked at, he got it because of his connection with us, it was a good PR move by Mr Henry. Such was the impresssive form in those 5 months Mr Henry had no option but to have a rethink and so he got the job full time.

Having said that, Kenny also has to shoulder much of the blame as he never once went against the signing. He wouldnt manage a team with a player forced upon him, temporary position or not. But then again, in many of the club's most important games Carroll has been rooted to the bench, hardly a sign of a manager who has belief in you, or was willing to make you the 8th most expensive player ever.

Whatever the truth is, i doubt we will ever know as Kenny is not the type to air dirty linen in public. He would always put the club before himself.

Do you think KK should be sacked?
Do you like Mourinho and would you like him as a replacement?
Thommo's perm

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:56 pm

D___C wrote:

i agree we paid over the odds for some of the new signings but i really doubt any of them are getting the colour of 100k a week.
no way did we sign carroll who was probably on 20-25k a week at newcastle and give him a 400% payrise straight off the bat,likewise with hendo,downing,adam and enrique.
these players have potential to be good and id say there wages are linked to how well they improve and whether they sign new contracts or not but at the min id say they got a nice payrise but nothing near extortionate.another reason is that fsg were also concerned about the wage bill when they took over so i doubt they would sanction large signing fees combined with large wages for a gamble on relatively unproven players.
on the signings we bought id say carroll and suarez were bought on the say so of comoli and maybe kenny knew about it but thats all.both players fit the bill of what fsg want in players ie:young and have potential with a possible resale value.
what we signed in the summer i believe they were targets approved by kenny and comoli.so the way i see it is kenny spent 50mil on 5 players and comoli spent the torres cash on 2.so combine the both and the net spend is very little from fsg's pocket.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:11 pm

I still don't see how some fans think we haven't improved. Ok the results havent really improved but the way we play certainly has in a lot of games. We just don't score enough goals for the chances we create. We've complately outplayed United, City, Spurs and Arsenal at home in the League but not had enough to show for it. We've beaten City, Chelsea (twice), Arsenal and Everton away from home. Our defence is as solid as I can remember. The only games this season when I've been seriously disillusioned with how we've played are City and United away, Bolton away, and Sunderland away. Every other game we've been the better team and had the chances to win the game.

People need to realise that unfortunately we are no longer as attractive a proposition as we used to be when it comes to signing the very top players. We nearly went out of business 18 months ago, we've sold our best players in recent years and the competition now for champions league places involves 6-7 teams as supposed to 4 in the past. The players who came in for me, were made to stabilise the club, whilst cutting the wage bill by getting rid of the deadwood in the process. The owners clearly have a long term plan, but it may take a while to come to fruition.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:29 pm

stmichael wrote:I still don't see how some fans think we haven't improved. Ok the results havent really improved but the way we play certainly has in a lot of games. We just don't score enough goals for the chances we create. We've complately outplayed United, City, Spurs and Arsenal at home in the League but not had enough to show for it. We've beaten City, Chelsea (twice), Arsenal and Everton away from home. Our defence is as solid as I can remember. The only games this season when I've been seriously disillusioned with how we've played are City and United away, Bolton away, and Sunderland away. Every other game we've been the better team and had the chances to win the game.

People need to realise that unfortunately we are no longer as attractive a proposition as we used to be when it comes to signing the very top players. We nearly went out of business 18 months ago, we've sold our best players in recent years and the competition now for champions league places involves 6-7 teams as supposed to 4 in the past. The players who came in for me, were made to stabilise the club, whilst cutting the wage bill by getting rid of the deadwood in the process. The owners clearly have a long term plan, but it may take a while to come to fruition.

Sense at last!  I have said this on numerous occasions, people have very short memories of how bad it was at our club.

We have been spoilt over the years with the strikers at this club

St John
Toshack
Keegan
Dalglish
Rush
Aldridge
Fowler
Owen
Torres

There are not many clubs in world football that can reel off a list like this.  Scoring goals has never really been such a big issue as it is right now.  I hope the owners go and get a top goal scorer but it isnt that easy as St Mick has saud as we are not the attractive club we once where to some players.

We are missingone very important piece of the jigsaw, a goal scorer, lets not carried away and cry about being the worst team ever, thats just nonsense
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:56 pm

stmichael wrote:I still don't see how some fans think we haven't improved. Ok the results havent really improved but the way we play certainly has in a lot of games. We just don't score enough goals for the chances we create. We've complately outplayed United, City, Spurs and Arsenal at home in the League but not had enough to show for it. We've beaten City, Chelsea (twice), Arsenal and Everton away from home. Our defence is as solid as I can remember. The only games this season when I've been seriously disillusioned with how we've played are City and United away, Bolton away, and Sunderland away. Every other game we've been the better team and had the chances to win the game.

:buttrock
Thommo's perm

Postby D___C » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:33 pm

We did not outplay Spurs at home, we barely had a shot on target. Gareth Bale missed the best chance of the night when clean through. We were battered at their place. The Man U game at home a draw was about right. Scholes dominated the midfield, and they were camped in our half for the last 25 minutes. I agree we outplayed Arsenal and should have won that game easily. Where we sit in the league is our level, 6th/7th. A good indicator is goal difference. We have plus 4, Sunderland have better.

The history is irrelevant, the fact is we didnt go out of business and have new owners who have given Kenny more money to spend than any previous manager at the club. Going backwards is not stabilising the club. In Luis Suarez we signed one of the hottest properties in Europe, so don't excuse us signing dregs. We replaced cheap deadwood with very expensive deadwood.

Maxi last season contributed more than Downing this season
Ngog last season contributed more than Carroll this season
Merelies last season contributed more than Henderson this season

If you spend over 100million and make the squad weaker, and stand to finish with our lowest points total in the Premier League era, your position will come under intense scrutiny. To answer another posters question, i said no to Kenny being sacked in another thread as i believe every manager should get a second crack at getting it right.
D___C

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:47 pm

D___C wrote:

We did not outplay Spurs at home, we barely had a shot on target. Gareth Bale missed the best chance of the night when clean through. We were battered at their place. The Man U game at home a draw was about right. Scholes dominated the midfield, and they were camped in our half for the last 25 minutes. I agree we outplayed Arsenal and should have won that game easily. Where we sit in the league is our level, 6th/7th. A good indicator is goal difference. We have plus 4, Sunderland have better.

The history is irrelevant, the fact is we didnt go out of business and have new owners who have given Kenny more money to spend than any previous manager at the club. Going backwards is not stabilising the club. In Luis Suarez we signed one of the hottest properties in Europe, so don't excuse us signing dregs. We replaced cheap deadwood with very expensive deadwood.

Maxi last season contributed more than Downing this season
Ngog last season contributed more than Carroll this season
Merelies last season contributed more than Henderson this season

If you spend over 100million and make the squad weaker, and stand to finish with our lowest points total in the Premier League era, your position will come under intense scrutiny. To answer another posters question, i said no to Kenny being sacked in another thread as i believe every manager should get a second crack at getting it right.

Do you think Mourinho would be a good replacement should KK get the sack?
Thommo's perm

Postby D___C » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:14 pm

Hes the best manager in the world, and would knock whiskey nose off his perch as the best in this country... so yes.
D___C

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:44 pm

D___C wrote:Hes the best manager in the world, and would knock whiskey nose off his perch as the best in this country... so yes.

Good to have you back Kerry
:nod
Thommo's perm

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion