The race to stay in the race - Has begun.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Madmax » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:41 pm

LegBarnes wrote:We can still win but now we have to hope mancs drop more points then we do I think in the liverpool manc game our only option is to get dirk to break ronaldos legs its the only option !

:D  our kuyt will do us proud i think he will find ronaldos leg an easier target than trying to score a goal or pass the ball properly to one of our players.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:44 pm

Rush Job wrote:We need to do our upmost to stay within a game ( 3 points ) of them and keep the presure on, all we can do really.

Yeah for real and i hope so we will do that. Its important to keep breathing behind thier necks and show them we are still in it and we still want it. With mannure i have realized even when they are under pressure they tend to perform even better. I guess we much match that tendacy of leading the pack
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:46 am

Well it'll be no surprise to anyone that Man Utd won at West Brom. Equally their record signing continued his current form and found the net, which won't have made too many sit up and take notice either. It tends to happen with strikers, they go on little runs. Once they score in one game, they very often score in the next. Footballs funny like that.

The only thing which is a slight concern is that the Mancs seem to be really running into proper form now, and have the look of a juggernaught about them. It's looking fairly clear that our opportunities to fritter points away without seemingly feeling the consequences are pretty much over, and the sprint is well and truly on now. I did hold out a smidge of hope that perhaps Everton might upset them a bit at Old Trafford but given their form (the Mancs that is), but it's looking like something of a long shot.

As it is we are now four points behind with a game in hand, and facing a tricky away match at Wigan. We then follow that up with a tricky home match against Chelsea. No doubt those who poured scorn/ridicule/abuse on anyone who despaired at our Home form, or our reluctance to go for the win at Arsenal would perhaps reconsider given the way things have gone, but who knows. "But we're top of the league" has become this seasons "but we're unbeaten", but from here we must do our utmost to ensure we don't see the same result, which was the leaders disappearing over the horizon.

I wouldn't go as far as saying Wigan is a must win, but it's probably at the very least a must not lose. Chelsea at Home is probably the same. We in all honesty probably need to at the very least to win one and draw one. The very best way to knock the Mancs out of their stride is to put them under some kind of pressure, to make them need a result really badly. My fear is that if they get a lead, they could leave us and everyone else trailing. From there, it may even get sticky trying to qualify for the Champions League.

The pressure now is well and truly on, and we must deliver starting tonight.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liverforever » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:04 am

Your right there bigmick not only do we need to win we need a couple of favours put or way as well.Because villa have a nice bit of form going now and they will be hard to shift with the team on a high.Looking at the hole thing it would be a great if chelsea and the gunners went down tomorrow or drew and all  four including utd and villa went down the weekend.I think if we get this win tomorrow night that the bite just might return to the boy's and things might change i know they will give it there all anyway let's hope they get there reward...come on the pool:)
liverforever

Postby peterc1992 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:12 am

I know lately we havnt been able to grind out results,but does it annoy anyone else here that when United win a game that they have been absolutely terrible in and come away with a 1-0 win...the press say its the mark of champions and that they are great for winning a game that they played :censored: in...while for example when we play shhit and come back to win against man city at the start of the season and against wigan and middleboro,the press and everyother fan in teh country  call us lucky....recks my head to be honest....United winning 1-0 for the last 6 weeks has nothing to do with luck but the fatc tht they hav the 'mark ' of champions and fiar play to them and all
Makes me sick to be honest
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liverforever » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:42 am

I know where you are coming from but it's games like that which make champions  your not playing good but your not turned off  you are alway's waiting for something to happen.That's where we lose out with some of our boy's not naming any they drop the heads if things don't go to plan utd don't the :censored:.
liverforever

Postby Madmax » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:57 am

liverforever wrote:I know where you are coming from but it's games like that which make champions  your not playing good but your not turned off  you are alway's waiting for something to happen.That's where we lose out with some of our boy's not naming any they drop the heads if things don't go to plan utd don't the :censored:.

Yeah for real. Champions are those who win games that are doomed a draw. They fight with passion and pride until the last second. They defend thier hearts out for the team they play for and for the shirt they wear with pride.

I would have to agree with what the peter guy said few posts ago. These 1-0 wins have been doing my head in aswel TBH. Feckin really annoying. But it goes to show its all about the points. You have to learn to win good but yet win very ugly.
With mannure even when a game is 0-0 and there 5 mins left i still feel they will score. Its a common trait with them. Its the hunger to win which they have and alot of teams lack.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:01 am

bigmick wrote:I wouldn't go as far as saying Wigan is a must win, but it's probably at the very least a must not lose. Chelsea at Home is probably the same. We in all honesty probably need to at the very least to win one and draw one.

Understand what your saying mick but considering how mannure have overtaken us and are seeming to have hit form i feel both games are must win. Wigan for me a must 3 pointer and as for chelsea i would probably say the same. Even though a draw might not be a bad result against chelsea.
I just feel its comming at a time where mannure will continue winning games and i cant really see them dropping much points. We have to do the same. That the only way we will win the title this season.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:11 am

Yes we're definately in that period Max, and who knows we probably have been for a few weeks. What I mean when I say they are more "must not loses"  than "must wins" is that if for instance we drew one match and won the other, while the Mancs won their next one we'd only be three points behind (albeit after having played a game more). We'd have an uphill task from that point but we'd still be in it IMHO.

The Mancs aren't going to win every single match (although I concede it looks that way right now) and it's vital that we at least put them under some sort of pressure. I think if we say lost one of our next two and won the other, we'd be four points behind having played a game more. That would leave us if not quite needing snookers, almost certainly needing favours. A loss of one match and a draw in the other could leave us six points behind having played a game more. At that stage we'd be dead in the water I think, and the race to get into the Champions League spots would be well and truly under way.

My biggest concern is not that we don't win the title. I kind of think we've already blown our chances tbh, and in any case we've exceeded many people's expectations by challenging at all. Whatever happens from here on in we have established a base camp for next season, it just remains to be seen how close it will be to the summit once the blizzard has cleared and we can accurately assess. Obviously we all hope when the dust settles we'll be on the highest peak, but hoefully we can at least get somewhere near.

No, my biggest concern is that we fail to qualify for the Champions League. I feel sure under those circumstances we would not only have a new manager, but he'd be looking to build a decent team without the Champions League money. As long as we stay in the hunt that won't happen (the second bit anyway), but if we fall off the pace I have grave concerns.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:31 am

bigmick wrote:Yes we're definately in that period Max, and who knows we probably have been for a few weeks. What I mean when I say they are more "must not loses"  than "must wins" is that if for instance we drew one match and won the other, while the Mancs won their next one we'd only be three points behind (albeit after having played a game more). We'd have an uphill task from that point but we'd still be in it IMHO.

The Mancs aren't going to win every single match (although I concede it looks that way right now) and it's vital that we at least put them under some sort of pressure. I think if we say lost one of our next two and won the other, we'd be four points behind having played a game more. That would leave us if not quite needing snookers, needing favours. A loss of one match and a draw in the other could leave us six points behind having played a game more. At that stage we'd be dead in the water I think, and the race to get into the Champions League spots would be well and truly under way.

My biggest concern is not that we don't win the title. I kind of think we've already blown our chances tbh, and in any case we've exceeded many people's expectations by challenging at all. Whatever happens from here on in we have established a base camp for next season, it just remains to be seen how close it will be to the summit once the blizzard has cleared and we can accurately assess. Obviously we all hope when the dust settles we'll be on the highest peak, but hoefully we can at least get somewhere near.

No, my biggest concern is that we fail to qualify for the Champions League. I feel sure under those circumstances we would not only have a new manager, but he'd be looking to build a decent team without the Champions League money. As long as we stay in the hunt that won't happen (the second bit anyway), but if we fall off the pace I have grave concerns.

well said mick (as usual  :D ) . For real it seems we have exceeded all expectations this season and after missing out on all those chances of extending the lead people are getting worried, and rightly so!

I really want the title like any other fan but if we are still there challenging towards the end but come short i would have to be happy and proud of our club. Atleast i would say we gave it a go this season.

Deep down i feel aswel we might have blown our chances but i feel we will get a clear picture within 4-5 weeks.

Yes we have established a base camp mick this season and we should try and improve in come next season. One thing ponders in my mind apart from riera our team seems like the same as last season. If keane was on fire i would have said theres been major improvements but i could only see slight progression within the squad.

However next season i want to see major improvement and better equiped players brought. Really hope they sort out our right mid position.

Also another thing ponders in my mind is'nt it pointless signing another striker considering we only need torres in the 4-5-1 formation we play? See it pointless of buying another one as i have heard we were going to, striker would be rarely used and most likey be played out of position.
Thats unless we change to 4-4-2 or the secondary striker is cover for torres.

Not really concerned about qualifying for champs league, i think we are well capable of that challenge. But the way this season has been with villa playing brill you never know whats in store. Arsenal wouldnt want to lose out on the champs league either. A major blip in form could have catastrophic consequences.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:46 am

It's a shame we're starting this 'race' on our bellies, having crawled along for a few games and watched the mancs pass us.

The problem is once you start crawling, injuries make it even harder to get back on a winning track. Winning is a habit, once we kicked that habit we've struggled to get back on it. The mancs may not have been playing like Brazil the past couple of months, but they've won, won and won so picked up the habit.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion