The race to stay in the race - Has begun.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:19 am

Well the next few games obviously become even more crucial now. We are I think level on points with the Mancs, and they have a game in hand and us to play at Old Trafford. It's very hard to see anything other than a win for them in their next game at West Brom (I'm not being a doomer and gloomer but I'll be absolutely staggered if they don't win there) which makes our trip to Wigan a big match. We could do with winning that, but a loss would be an absolute body blow.

Not getting overly long term, but their next match after that is Everton at Home. Now partisanship aside I thought Everton played well at Anfield. They defend well, have a decent keeper and two solid centre backs, while they can always cause a problem from set pieces. I live in hope that they might put a spanner in the works of the Mancs, although their glaring weakness for me is Hibbert at right back, and to a slightly less but not much less extent Leighton Baines at left back. I should think that the Mancs will ask a much tougher question of those two lads than Riera and Kuyt did today. You never know though, the game is a potential banana skin for them, and despite eerything I'm sure Everton will give it 100%.

For us, the corresponding fixture is Chelsea, and I fancy us strong in that game. I'd be looking for a gung-ho, 100 miles an hour performance from our lads, and if we get it then we'll blow them away I think. In actual fact, if we can win at Wigan (which definately won't be easy) and then put Chelsea out of the title race, it'll all seem a whole lot different. If Everton can do us a favour at Old Trafford (don't think so but you never know) we will be right back in it again.

Like I say, we're obviously going through a bliip at the moment and we've just got to make sure we keep going and prevent it becoming a bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip. That game at Old Trafford has to be crucial to THEM as well as us, otherwise we'll get rolled.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby inglis5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:07 am

I'm as gutted as everyone about last night's result, I went to bed at 10.00 in a big sulk. I lay awake for most of the night with the image of Cahill scoring the equaliser imprinted on my mind. The season was over, we were (as the Evertonian's politely reminded us at the end) going to win f*ck all.

BUT... this morning, I turned on the tele and I watched more about the US Presedential Inauguration and I was thinking, it sounds a bit cheesy but, can we still win the league? 'Yes we F*CKING can!'

Can we win the league with 17 games to go, only 3 points behind the leaders? 'Yes, we can'
Can we still win the FA Cup knocking Everton out in the process? 'Yes, we can'
Can we still win the Champions League and claim number 6? 'Yes, we can'

I know it feels bad this morning but there is still hope.

At the end of the storm, is a golden sky... and I can f*cking see it! It's a win on Sunday, then we'll see who's going to win f*ck all! Can we still win the treble? 'YES, WE CAN!'

:D
inglis5

Postby stmichael » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:43 pm

The analysis of the run in seems to be comparing Manchester Utd and Liverpool like for like and arriving at somewhat grandiose conclusions. If we take this a step further, surely we should compare the corresponding fixture, Bolton away. Its not that long ago that we went to the Reebok and put in a slightly more impressive display than Utd did at the weekend and won comfortably. I don't really believe Bolton have improved that radically since we played them, nor do I believe that they approached playing Utd in anyway different to how they set up against us.

I'm not convinced there is a media agenda against Liverpool but it does annoy that Utd can nick a last minute winner at Bolton and its seen as a defining moment in this year's title race and hence overshadow what to me was a workmanlike performance.

I don't know what Utd's forthcoming fixtures are, nor do I care. I do however think that they miss Rooney and Ferdinand and if they face better opposition than Bolton they may well come unstuck. Points will be dropped by both Liverpool and Utd before the season is out.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tonyeh » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:52 pm

bigmick wrote:Well the next few games obviously become even more crucial now. We are I think level on points with the Mancs, and they have a game in hand and us to play at Old Trafford. It's very hard to see anything other than a win for them in their next game at West Brom (I'm not being a doomer and gloomer but I'll be absolutely staggered if they don't win there) which makes our trip to Wigan a big match. We could do with winning that, but a loss would be an absolute body blow.

Not getting overly long term, but their next match after that is Everton at Home. Now partisanship aside I thought Everton played well at Anfield. They defend well, have a decent keeper and two solid centre backs, while they can always cause a problem from set pieces. I live in hope that they might put a spanner in the works of the Mancs, although their glaring weakness for me is Hibbert at right back, and to a slightly less but not much less extent Leighton Baines at left back. I should think that the Mancs will ask a much tougher question of those two lads than Riera and Kuyt did today. You never know though, the game is a potential banana skin for them, and despite eerything I'm sure Everton will give it 100%.

For us, the corresponding fixture is Chelsea, and I fancy us strong in that game. I'd be looking for a gung-ho, 100 miles an hour performance from our lads, and if we get it then we'll blow them away I think. In actual fact, if we can win at Wigan (which definately won't be easy) and then put Chelsea out of the title race, it'll all seem a whole lot different. If Everton can do us a favour at Old Trafford (don't think so but you never know) we will be right back in it again.

Like I say, we're obviously going through a bliip at the moment and we've just got to make sure we keep going and prevent it becoming a bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip. That game at Old Trafford has to be crucial to THEM as well as us, otherwise we'll get rolled.

Oops...I thought Utd's game after next was against Sunderland. But that's the other Utd. 

I too can't see them getting anything other than a win at WBA though. But maybe Everton could hold them to a draw after that. Either way, I'm sure there'll be a few Liverpool fans watching that game.

I still think our game at Wigan will be tough, given Liverpool's recent form and I don't even want to think about the game aganst Chelsea.
tonyeh

Postby stmichael » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:55 pm

tonyeh wrote:given Liverpool's recent form and I don't even want to think about the game aganst Chelsea.

yeah because chelsea have been absolutely magnificent recently haven't they? :Oo:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tonyeh » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:01 pm

stmichael wrote:
tonyeh wrote:given Liverpool's recent form and I don't even want to think about the game aganst Chelsea.

yeah because chelsea have been absolutely magnificent recently haven't they? :Oo:

They're still a strong outfit, I wouldn't write off Chelsea just yet and they may have a point to prove after the narrow loss to Liverpool that last time out.
tonyeh

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:04 pm

tonyeh wrote:
stmichael wrote:

They're still a strong outfit, I wouldn't write off Chelsea just yet and they may have a point to prove after the narrow loss to Liverpool that last time out.

But you would write us off ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:34 pm

great point there leon - people are happy to write of our chances at the drop of the hat but wont write off the chances of arsenal or chelsea ????!
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:53 pm

GYBS wrote:great point there leon - people are happy to write of our chances at the drop of the hat but wont write off the chances of arsenal or chelsea ????!

I'm not sure people are necessarily "happy to write us off at the drop of a hat", but it's not that surprising that doubts are setting in as we are in the middle of a bliiiiiiiiip. Now clearly, unless we snap out of it fairly soon we will be gone for all money. That's not being doom and gloomy, disloyal, a knee jerker or anything similar, it's simply the way it is.

If for instance we went to Wigan and drew, before losing at Home to Chelsea (AND I'M JUST PONTIFICATING HERE-I AM NOT SAYING THAT'S WHAT I THINK WILL HAPPEN) would we still be in it?

Well a lot would depend on what the Mancs have done obviously, but if they have won two matches in the same period then IMHO it would be over. We'd be six points behind, having played one game more and with an inferior goal difference. We'd also still have to visit Old Trafford.

You'd get a protracted period on here with people going crazy at anyone who showed signs of "losing the faith" or "lacking belief" or "forgetting Istanbul" which would last threee or four weeks, then everyone would settle down for the battle to get into the Champions League.

As for Arsenal and Chelsea. Well Arsenal are an interesting one. I thought they might have trading possibilites despite the fact IMHO that they are totally out of it. Trading means for those who don't know you back em at a big price, hoefully wait till they've wona  couple and then lay them for a smaller price. Last I looked though they were 34/1 (may even be shorter after they beat Hull) which is too short, and they've got some tricky games looming soon. Gone for all money IMHO.

Chelsea have more possibility that Arsenal, and particularly after the Stoke win which was absolutely huge for them. I say that not because Stoke are any good because they aren't, but because they won it with two very late goals. Turnarounds like that can bring a team back (and they looked like they were on the brink) so they might be able to resurrect themselves. The key match for them is at Anfield obviously. If they win there they'll feel they have a chance, if they lose they're absolutely gone. A draw could well kill us both off.

This whole notion though (not just from you GYBS) that if in any way you voive a negative or realistic point of view that you are a doomer or gloomer, clueless, knee jerker etc gets a bit tiring after a while. It implies that you are spouting off sh!t without even thinking about it.

Now many people thnk I spout off sh!t which is absolutely fair enough, but I do actually think about it. It's not just some "OMG we're Fecked!!!!!" heat of the moment reaction, I actually look at it and think about it. The vast majority of the stuff I go on abouty as well I've been going on about at least for weeks, and sometimes years.

No hat dropping in my case anyway. We still are in with a chance, but we must win a lot of our remaining games. I should think we can afford to draw one of the Wigan and Chelsea matches, but then we need to win 7 out of the next 8 or something similar to really be in it.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:00 pm

Agree with what your spouting off :D .. I guess this losing faith is because we are trying to go for the title and considering our lack of taking the chances of extending the lead and with mannure removing us from the top people are starting to wonder what will happen. I dont know if this is a blip or if we will play like this for the rest of the season. If this is a blip then we have had quite a few so far. I think we have missed out on about 5-6 chances of taking advantage of others losses.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:29 pm

The point is mick people are writing us of in the league saying we have no chance to win yet say that chelsea are still in with the chance ? how is it that considering they are playing worse than us and are below us in the table and have lost one of their best players ??
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:34 pm

I would have to say the way chelsea have a chance we are in the same boat. Even though they have been prett poor i wouldnt cast them aside. They are only 2 points behind us and you never know they could pull out odd victories from no where. Look at what mannure have been doing and everton another example, a team playing shyte but still winning games.
I see mannure as the favourites and after us and chelsea. Arsenal/villa comming after with an unlikely chance.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:35 pm

exatly madmax- chelsea still have a chance just like we have a chance
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:44 am

We can still win but now we have to hope mancs drop more points then we do I think in the liverpool manc game our only option is to get dirk to break ronaldos legs its the only option !
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:40 am

We need to do our upmost to stay within a game ( 3 points ) of them and keep the presure on, all we can do really.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion