The race to stay in the race - Has begun.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby taff » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:41 am

I think Chelsea and Arsenal to an extent are still in it.  The Mancs have found form and we havent been 100%.  Bit like a few months ago but in reverse.  Things will change and the title is not decided now.  Of course the Old Trafford game is huge but to be honest Im just chuffed that we are a threat and commonly seen as being in the hunt even if the Mancs have gained the media favour back towards them if it ever wasnt with them.

Its a strange season as results are a bit all over the place which is why I think that its not going to be the smooth run in for the mancs that has been predicted.

But isnt it great that we are anxious over every game now :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DanAn » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:21 am

I think it will come down to how we play in the easy fixtures for me. We need to put an end to the "unlucky" draws though.

As a unit we are playing well in all area's of the game. The defence has been rock solid (with the exception of Dossena). Hyypia has turned us from a poor team at corners to IMO the best in the premiership. The central midfield pairing has in general dominated games with Alonso starting to bang in a few. Our wingers have aso stepped up this year. Kuyt was on fire when played on the right and I think Riera has been fantastic too. Benayoun has perhaps been a little hot and cold while Babel has been woeful. Gerrard has been nothing short of fantastic though.

That leaves our strikers. To be honest they've been poor all year. Torres never really got started, Kuyt has gone missing since played up front and Keane has been average at best.

For me it come down to Torres. If Torres can get on a run of games and find form (which I think is a distinct possibility) then I think we could go on a real hot streak and find ourselves at the top of the table come June.
DanAn

Postby tonyeh » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:34 pm

Number 9 wrote:
tonyeh wrote:If Liverpool lose to Everton tomorrow night and it's certainly a possibility, then they can say goodbye to the title, because Utd WILL NOT lose to WBA or Sunderland and they'll extend their distance and I also think there is the possibility of Liverpool drawing to Wigan in the game after next and losing to Chelsea after that.

Tomorrow night's derby, for me anyway, is the point where we either stay in the race or fück it away. Although, I fear that Benitez's idiotic and foolish nonsense last week has already doomed Liverpool's chances.

On a side note, I certainly wouldn't write off Chelsea just yet. They've had a blip, but they are a strong outfit, albeit with some internal problems.

what an absoulute wankstain!

Id love to set you on fire!¬!!really

Well, that's a covincing arguement.   :D
tonyeh

Postby tonyeh » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:52 pm

GYBS wrote:
tonyeh wrote:If Liverpool lose to Everton tomorrow night and it's certainly a possibility, then they can say goodbye to the title, because Utd WILL NOT lose to WBA or Sunderland and they'll extend their distance and I also think there is the possibility of Liverpool drawing to Wigan in the game after next and losing to Chelsea after that.

Tomorrow night's derby, for me anyway, is the point where we either stay in the race or fück it away. Although, I fear that Benitez's idiotic and foolish nonsense last week has already doomed Liverpool's chances.

On a side note, I certainly wouldn't write off Chelsea just yet. They've had a blip, but they are a strong outfit, albeit with some internal problems.

can you tell me the lottery numbers for next sat please mate as you see to have a crystal ball that works . One thing this season is showing everyone is there is no guarentee win and 3 points no matter who you are playing .

Absolutely, nothing's guarunteed. But I still think tonight is going to be a defining moment in Liverpool's title ambition and our subsequent games are harder than Utd's.

Liverpool cannot afford any more silly draws or nonsense like leaving 50 million pounds worth of striker material rotting on the bench.

We've thrown away numerous chances this year, squandered our incredibly good fortune and surrendered top spot to our most dangerous rivals.

S@int is quite correct, Liverpool have not played well in most of their games this season and they need to seriously up the ante to stay in the race, especially now since Utd have found their stride after a dodgy start.
tonyeh

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:59 pm

devaney wrote:
Number 9 wrote:

Not worth responding mate but I am with your sentiments entirely !!

shall we have a whip around for a few quid of petrol?
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:03 pm

Lee J wrote:
devaney wrote:
Number 9 wrote:

aren't these comments a little.... eeerrr... inflammatory?

:lookaround

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:05 pm

Lee J wrote:
devaney wrote:
Number 9 wrote:

Just light Barry's breath, it will be like a flamethrower  :D
account deleted by request

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:08 pm

s@int wrote:
Lee J wrote:
devaney wrote:
Number 9 wrote:

Just light Barry's breath, it will be like a flamethrower  :D

:D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SuperK » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:50 pm

No chance.

4 draws in 6 is not Champions material.

Drawing board this way please.

:O
SuperK

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:52 pm

SuperK wrote:No chance.

:laugh:  :D  :laugh: WAPDONG ALERT WAPDONG ALERT !!!!!!!!
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:03 pm

Today will be defining, in the sense that we will start to show real character now because we have to.  We have to be ruthless no matter who our opponents are. We have to show no mercy and take no prisoners.

Today is when it starts for Liverpool FC.  From the dressing room though the tunnel onto the pitch and kick-off.  We will show Mwanck U that we are not afraid.  We can handle it. We can win the Title.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby GYBS » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:10 pm

SuperK wrote:No chance.

I spy with my little eye something begininng with M

Manc Wum  :p
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SuperK » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:32 pm

:buttrock

Torrekeano!!!

:love:
SuperK

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:37 pm

redsince2001 wrote:yeah yeah .... just think how much of this looking ahead you guys would have done had manu drawn yesterday .

it's all about perspective guys ... lets keep it simple ... one game at a time.

it's football... nothings certain
:)

Well said ,all these accomplished visionaries that inhabit this forum have the Reds completely out of the running ,as for me I will continue to have the belief and support my team vocally every week .As for the premonitions I will leave them to the budding psychics.
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby fivecups » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:08 pm

bigmick wrote:One or two people kind of missing the point of the thread but it's an interesting one anyway. Obviously nobody can accurately predict a string of results, but it's not being overly pessimistic to point out that over the next couple of months the Mancs have got easier games than we have. Obviously if we win all ours, it doesn't matter a feck but by the same token, we can't really afford to be giving too many points up to their lead.

FWIW I'd definately take us going to Old Trafford still one point behind, but that's going to be no mean feat. Obviously if we get there still within touching distance, a win for us would be hugely damaging for them. Despite not being a member of his fan club, if the pressure really is on I'd back Rafa to come up with a tactical masterplan for the one game which would give us a huge chance. This would have been even more the case if we could have gone there needing only a draw, but unfortunately that looks unlikely. Even if we go there needing a win I can see him putting something together, but if we are say seven points behind, the Mancs won't be under any real pressure and I'd fancy them to turn us over comfortably.

We absolutely MUST be within a point or two for the game to really matter, and if it really matters I'd give us a shout to get a result. The point of the thread though (if indeed any of them ever have a point) is simply to look at how difficult it is going to be to get there still within touching distance.

Completely agree with you Mick - United have an easier run over the next seven games. It's certainly possible that we could be playing them at OT 4 or 5 points off the top of the table - even if we are the league's not over. We can beat anyone on our day and our end of season run-in is pretty good. We are definitely not favorites for the league this season for many reasons that have been outlined in recent threads but there's no question in my mind that we can win it. It's the beauty of sport. Who really knows what will happen over the next few months? We certainly finished strongly last season.

I'm also going to say that even if the worst happens tonight we're still not out of it. It'll be pure :censored: but we'll still be one point off the top with 48 still to play for.

Now we'll see what are players are really made of.

I said before the season started that if we were in contention come April I'd be satisfied, as Taff said it's great just to be in this position.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion