Biscan moving on

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby KARMANI » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:13 pm

Source: LFC.tv

Igor Biscan today admitted he's unsure what his future holds - but he's vowed to end the season on a high and help Liverpool qualify for next season's Champions League. 
The Croatian midfielder decided against leaving Anfield before Christmas and his decision has been rewarded with regular first team action in the second half of the season, including a Carling Cup final appearance against Chelsea.

But despite his improvement as the campaign has progressed, and despite earning cult hero status with the Kop, he admits his Anfield days may be drawing to a close when his contract expires at the end of the season.

He told Liverpoolfc.tv: "The way things are looking now I think I'll be leaving at the end of the season. I want to do well for myself over the rest of the season and in doing so I'll do well for the team. If I'm going to leave the club then it's important I play games to show the other teams what I am capable of.

"I am happy with the way this season has gone for me. I had a chat with the manager before Christmas and he told me I wasn't in his plans. In that situation you need to think about your future but I never thought about leaving. Even though I wasn't guaranteed first team chances, I didn't want to go. I wanted to stay until the end of the season to do my best if games did come along for me.

"After that some players got injured, I got back into the team and since then I think I have done well enough to earn my place and play more regularly.

"This season has probably been my best season since I came to the club so I have to be happy with that."

Biscan admits he's come through some "very difficult times" at Anfield since his arrival from Dinamo Zagreb back in 2000.

His inability to establish himself as a first team regular under Gerard Houllier made him question the wisdom of his decision to come to Merseyside, but the support he's received from the Liverpool fans made him more determined than ever to make a success out of his career at Anfield.

He said: "At times it hasn't been easy for me. In fact it has sometimes been very hard. But when you play for big clubs you know you'll have good periods and bad periods. If you come through the bad times then that's what makes you a better person and a better player.

"Our fans have been great with me. It gives me a really nice feeling and makes me feel special when they chant my name. Liverpool supporters are great because they always support the whole team.

"The fans have given me more confidence and belief in myself. It encourages me a lot to hear them supporting me, especially when I haven't been playing often."

Despite knowing a decision on his future will be made in just a couple of months time, for now Biscan is concentrating all his efforts on helping the Reds build on their derby victory and securing fourth place at the end of the season.

"We were all really pleased at the moment because we played well on the day against Everton and we're now only four points behind fourth place," he said. "We feel now that we have a very realistic chance of finishing in that fourth spot.

"We always believed that we were good enough to get the fourth place and now we have eight games left to go I think we're even more confident.

"It's like we have eight cup finals to play in the league now. We have to treat them all as equally as we did the Everton match. Our next game is against Bolton and we know they're challenging for fourth as well. You never get an easy game against Bolton, and of course we have some injuries at the moment which won't help. But we're still confident."

Boss Rafa Benitez's plans for the Bolton game will be hampered by a crippling injury and suspension list, particularly in attack where he is likely to have no recognised strikers to call on.

Biscan has played in most positions during his time with Liverpool, so does he fancy a spell as striker?

"I have played in attack before on a few occasions so it wouldn't be new for me," he reveals. "But I think the manager will find other options for this game.

"It's a big match for us and the first of many big matches before the end ofthe season in both the Premiership and Champions League.

"I'll just look to train well every day, to play well in every game and then see what the end of the season brings."

Well I hope he certainly does perform for us as Hamann is out for a month, [thank god Alonso will return soon] so I am hoping for the best for the rest of the season.
KARMANI

Postby Ciggy » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:36 pm

"I am happy with the way this season has gone for me. I had a chat with the manager before Christmas and he told me I wasn't in his plans. :( . I would be a bit sad if he left I know hes not the best midfielder around, and hes had some really poor games, and hes played really well in some, but it would be weird if he left no more EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGOR :(
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:19 am

I definately be sad if he left especially on a free transfer because for the money we paid for him plus his wages and what we received in return could be classified as daylight robbery
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:58 am

Hopefully RB won't sell him , he plays well under RB's plan.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby JohnnyAldridge fan » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:30 am

I want him to stay,he has played some good games under benitez,being 4th choice after StevieG ALONSO and Didi he has done ok and well on occasions when he has come in,under Houllier he did nothing..Didi looks like leaving also in the summer which is also a shame.
JohnnyAldridge fan

Postby supersub » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:04 pm

I'm not a big Igor fan,but he has certainly played a big part this season and done reasonably well.I felt he was used as a scapegoat last year,for a lot of inept performances by Sami Hyypia,when playing at centre-half.Wether he will be here at the start of the new season;I doubt it,but I'm sure he will play a major role in midfield for the rest of this season and I'm confident he wo'nt let us down.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:14 pm

He got a hell of a lot of abuse from members in this forum (me included) and became something of a joke . Under Rafa however he has put in some good performances and has occaisionally shown flashes of real class . With the injury situation the way it is he should get a good run of games between now and the end of the season ,hopefully he'll do the biz and maybe earn an extension to his contract .   :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:58 pm

He's a very strange player is Igor. Play the video of his snaking run and perfect slide-rule pass through to Garcia for the opening goal against Leverkusen and you are looking at an absolute top quality midfielder. Similarly his pass out wide then confident finish against Fulham was the sign of top class. However as we are all aware we could fill a veritable library with clips of his ineptitude and apparant disinterest as Rome burns around him.
There can be little doubt that he has improved immeasureably under Rafa. Indeed, if he was infact told that he didn't figure in the boss's plans we can only admire his professionalism for his continued improvement and application (not withstanding the fact that clearly he is playing for his next contract wherever that may be). I for one will miss him and his cult status amongst the fans. I'm sure should he ever return to Anfield he will get the warmest of welcomes. Sentimentality aside however Rafa is right of course, he isn't really good enough.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Noise Noise » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:41 pm

So he has played up front at sometime?

It will be the perfect end to his career at Anfield and would really cement the cult status when he scores the goal that qualifies us for the CL lol!
Noise Noise

Postby JC_81 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:57 pm

Decent season after houllier made him a laughing stock by playing him at centre half.

Bottom line is he is not good enough though, too inconsistent.

Good luck to him
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:03 pm

bigmick wrote:He's a very strange player is Igor. Play the video of his snaking run and perfect slide-rule pass through to Garcia for the opening goal against Leverkusen and you are looking at an absolute top quality midfielder.

That was the moment when I woke up and thought "Fu'ck me ,where did that come from ! ? "

That episode wasn't just luck ,he knew exactley what he was doing (for a change  :D ) ,it makes me wonder if he's one of those players that's got it in him but needs the support of his manager and supporters to tease it out .

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:07 pm

I don't think he will ever have that woof, cos fact is we have better in Hamann, Alonso and Gerrard.

I think he will go to another premiership club and do quite well, similar to what Danny Murphy has done.

sad thing is, it looks like another Houllier buy that we will have lost millions of pounds on.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:22 pm

LFC #1 wrote:I don't think he will ever have that woof, cos fact is we have better in Hamann, Alonso and Gerrard.

You're probably right , but I always see Hamann as a primarily defensive player whereas I'm beginning to think Biscan has always looked better going forward and trying to create something..

Still find myself thinking we haven't seen the best of him and I'm not sure if that's his fault .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:29 pm

I think he has shown glimpses of waht Houllier must of seen in him whwn he signed him.

But for the amount of money we forked out for him, you would expect these showings more consistently. As you say not entirley his fault as he was played out of position, but I am of the opinion that to a certain extent good players can adapt to that. 

He has probably got the most flack of any player (the senegalese clowns excluded) from LFc fans and it is good to see that he has continued to try and put in his best efforts for the club and that has been seen in some of his performances, particularly in Europe this season.

I think Igor may still be a useful player in the sqaud, particularly if an injury crisis such as the one this season ever comes to fruition again, as he has the experience of playing in big games.

As you mentioned woof, with the current injuries, now may be his time to prove to Rafa that he deserves his place in the squad.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:41 pm

LFC #1 wrote:I am of the opinion that to a certain extent good players can adapt to that.

Don't know if I would agree with that LFC, I wouldn't for example expect Alonso to do particularly well playing in the back four ,or Baros playing in central midfield.

Horses for courses etc.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion