Moving forward

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:49 pm

To be fair to him he did a good job when Alisson was injured earlier on in the season and he made some vital saves but it does have to be said we’ve been dumped out of both the FA Cup and CL within the space of a week and errors by him have contributed significantly to that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member
 
Posts: 10841
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:54 pm
Location: Liverpool

Postby kazza » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:32 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:49 pm wrote:To be fair to him he did a good job when Alisson was injured earlier on in the season and he made some vital saves but it does have to be said we’ve been dumped out of both the FA Cup and CL within the space of a week and errors by him have contributed significantly to that.

He made some saves but always had mistakes in him and never exuded calm confidence, something so important in a goalie, backup or otherwise.
User avatar
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 4722
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Third rock from the sun

Postby kazza » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:05 pm

From the Echo

Nine players could leave Liverpool as transfer status of squad assessed
Liverpool will have some important decisions to make during the next transfer window
.
Football will resume at some point. And once the season is over, so too will the transfer merry-go-round.

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp and the club’s recruitment team, headed up by sporting director Michael Edwards, have constructed a squad that has swept to glory during the past 12 months.

European Cup winners last season, world champions this and a record 25 points clear at the Premier League summit, the Reds are at their greatest height in decades.

After a relatively quiet transfer window last summer, the Reds are expected to do more business this time around.

There will, of course, be departures, with Adam Lallana and Nathaniel Clyne both coming to the end of their contracts, while Pedro Chirivella is also set to depart in a similar fashion.

They won’t be the only ones linked with a possible move away. But what should Liverpool do with those current players to have question marks over their futures?


Adrian

The Spanish goalkeeper enjoyed a remarkable rise as a Liverpool player, pressed into a debut less than a week after his surprise arrival in August, winning all 11 Premier League appearances and a hero in the UEFA Super Cup.

However, recalled after another injury to Alisson Becker, recent mistakes have contributed to exits from the FA Cup and Champions League and led to calls for his sale.

Keep or sell? Keep. As a backup, he remains perfectly adequate.

Dejan Lovren

Lovren has had a rollercoaster Liverpool career but the emergence of Joe Gomez and the form of Joel Matip over the last 15 months has severely limited his playing time at centre-back.

A poor performance - although he certainly wasn’t the only one - during a surprise start in the Premier League defeat at Watford has perhaps sealed his fate.

Keep or sell? Sell. Lovren has been a better servant than his critics give him credit for, but a parting of the way is inevitable.

Gini Wijnaldum

Wijnaldum has been an integral player ever since arriving almost four years ago and has started all bar one Premier League game this term.

The worry is that he still hasn’t signed a new contract with his current one due to expire in 15 months.

Keep or sell? Keep. Even if Wijnaldum doesn’t agree a new deal, Klopp demonstrated with Emre Can that he is happy to retain players who would be of use despite being in the last year of their contract.

Xherdan Shaqiri

Shaqiri was a snip from relegated Stoke City in the summer of 2018 and more than played his part during the first six months of his time at Liverpool.

Since then, though, the form of others and, more pertinently, incessant injury problems have meant he has played just 216 minutes in the Premier League in more than a year.

Keep or sell? Sell. Shaqiri would have had a part this season but there’s a sense the Reds have perhaps started moving on with Takumi Minamino’s arrival.

Naby Keita

It’s easy to forget the excitement the Guinean engendered as Liverpool fans waiting for his belated arrival in 2018.

There have been flashes of inspiration and brief spells of continued impact, but for a variety of reasons they haven’t been maintained long enough.

Keep or sell? Keep. There’s plenty more to come from the Guinean if he gets a break – in every respect.

Divock Origi

Origi came out of the cold to score a raft of important goals last season, not least in the final stages of the Champions League.

But despite being in from the start at the beginning of this term, it hasn’t quite gone to plan for the Belgian, who has struggled for consistency.

Keep or sell? Sell. It seems almost sacrilegious to say of such a crowd favourite, but it’s perhaps time – especially if a new striker is incoming.


Loris Karius, Marko Grujic and Harry Wilson

The loan trio will be back at Anfield when the season concludes.

By that point, Karius would have gone more than two years since featuring for the Liverpool first team, Grujic two-and-a-half and Wilson more than three.

Keep or sell? Sell all three. Grujic has impressed at Hertha Berlin, Wilson likewise at Bournemouth and both will command sizeable fees. Karius has had a trickier time at Besiktas but he’s unlikely to play for the Reds again.
User avatar
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 4722
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Third rock from the sun

Postby kazza » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:09 pm

kazza » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:05 pm wrote:From the Echo

Nine players could leave Liverpool as transfer status of squad assessed
Liverpool will have some important decisions to make during the next transfer window
.
Football will resume at some point. And once the season is over, so too will the transfer merry-go-round.

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp and the club’s recruitment team, headed up by sporting director Michael Edwards, have constructed a squad that has swept to glory during the past 12 months.

European Cup winners last season, world champions this and a record 25 points clear at the Premier League summit, the Reds are at their greatest height in decades.

After a relatively quiet transfer window last summer, the Reds are expected to do more business this time around.

There will, of course, be departures, with Adam Lallana and Nathaniel Clyne both coming to the end of their contracts, while Pedro Chirivella is also set to depart in a similar fashion.

They won’t be the only ones linked with a possible move away. But what should Liverpool do with those current players to have question marks over their futures?


Adrian

The Spanish goalkeeper enjoyed a remarkable rise as a Liverpool player, pressed into a debut less than a week after his surprise arrival in August, winning all 11 Premier League appearances and a hero in the UEFA Super Cup.

However, recalled after another injury to Alisson Becker, recent mistakes have contributed to exits from the FA Cup and Champions League and led to calls for his sale.

Keep or sell? Keep. As a backup, he remains perfectly adequate.

Dejan Lovren

Lovren has had a rollercoaster Liverpool career but the emergence of Joe Gomez and the form of Joel Matip over the last 15 months has severely limited his playing time at centre-back.

A poor performance - although he certainly wasn’t the only one - during a surprise start in the Premier League defeat at Watford has perhaps sealed his fate.

Keep or sell? Sell. Lovren has been a better servant than his critics give him credit for, but a parting of the way is inevitable.

Gini Wijnaldum

Wijnaldum has been an integral player ever since arriving almost four years ago and has started all bar one Premier League game this term.

The worry is that he still hasn’t signed a new contract with his current one due to expire in 15 months.

Keep or sell? Keep. Even if Wijnaldum doesn’t agree a new deal, Klopp demonstrated with Emre Can that he is happy to retain players who would be of use despite being in the last year of their contract.

Xherdan Shaqiri

Shaqiri was a snip from relegated Stoke City in the summer of 2018 and more than played his part during the first six months of his time at Liverpool.

Since then, though, the form of others and, more pertinently, incessant injury problems have meant he has played just 216 minutes in the Premier League in more than a year.

Keep or sell? Sell. Shaqiri would have had a part this season but there’s a sense the Reds have perhaps started moving on with Takumi Minamino’s arrival.

Naby Keita

It’s easy to forget the excitement the Guinean engendered as Liverpool fans waiting for his belated arrival in 2018.

There have been flashes of inspiration and brief spells of continued impact, but for a variety of reasons they haven’t been maintained long enough.

Keep or sell? Keep. There’s plenty more to come from the Guinean if he gets a break – in every respect.

Divock Origi

Origi came out of the cold to score a raft of important goals last season, not least in the final stages of the Champions League.

But despite being in from the start at the beginning of this term, it hasn’t quite gone to plan for the Belgian, who has struggled for consistency.

Keep or sell? Sell. It seems almost sacrilegious to say of such a crowd favourite, but it’s perhaps time – especially if a new striker is incoming.


Loris Karius, Marko Grujic and Harry Wilson

The loan trio will be back at Anfield when the season concludes.

By that point, Karius would have gone more than two years since featuring for the Liverpool first team, Grujic two-and-a-half and Wilson more than three.

Keep or sell? Sell all three. Grujic has impressed at Hertha Berlin, Wilson likewise at Bournemouth and both will command sizeable fees. Karius has had a trickier time at Besiktas but he’s unlikely to play for the Reds again.

Sell Adrian, Lovren, Shaqiri, Karius, Grujic, Wilson, Origi. We could get over 100 million for them
User avatar
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 4722
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Third rock from the sun

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:55 pm

I'd keep Wilson and Grujic because they deserve a chance to see what they can do. I wouldn't have a problem with anyone else on that list leaving.

The thing is that there is a few senior players in there that wont be replaced and we will try to rpeplace what we can on the cheap and promote from within but that will leave an even bigger reliance and expectation on the first 11.  To relieve that we will need to sign at least 4 players capable of at least providing proper competition to the 11.

The drop off in quality needs to be addressed this window.
User avatar
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member
 
Posts: 6995
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:35 pm
Location: ireland

Postby kazza » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:34 pm

red till i die!! » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:55 pm wrote:I'd keep Wilson and Grujic because they deserve a chance to see what they can do. I wouldn't have a problem with anyone else on that list leaving.

The thing is that there is a few senior players in there that wont be replaced and we will try to rpeplace what we can on the cheap and promote from within but that will leave an even bigger reliance and expectation on the first 11.  To relieve that we will need to sign at least 4 players capable of at least providing proper competition to the 11.

The drop off in quality needs to be addressed this window.

I like Grujic and Wilson but put them on the list because they have been on loan for what seems like 3 years, does anyone come back from that? I just figured get good money for them as Klopp does not rate them for how we play and reinvest the money. I would like to see how much money is spent this window by us and all other teams due to the huge loss in revenue which will certainly happen this summer, suddenly I’m not overly optimistic. I feel we are in a pivotal moment and don't want us to be a flash in the pan winner like Leicester, we need to buy quality this summer to build a team that wins more titles. Cannot let up as all will be gunning for us.

With the price of oil around 20 dollars, curious to see whether City have the appetite to spend what the usually spend.
User avatar
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 4722
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Third rock from the sun

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:47 pm

red till i die!! » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:55 pm wrote:I'd keep Wilson and Grujic because they deserve a chance to see what they can do. I wouldn't have a problem with anyone else on that list leaving.

The thing is that there is a few senior players in there that wont be replaced and we will try to rpeplace what we can on the cheap and promote from within but that will leave an even bigger reliance and expectation on the first 11.  To relieve that we will need to sign at least 4 players capable of at least providing proper competition to the 11.

The drop off in quality needs to be addressed this window.


I agree mate, we’ve got tons of honesty and hard work in the team but we could do with more quality. We saw the transformation in our defence when we broke the WR for a keeper and centre half.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member
 
Posts: 10841
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:54 pm
Location: Liverpool

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:45 pm

Robbo and TAA cost next to zip though... Don't always have to break the bank
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
User avatar
bunglemark2
 
Posts: 6203
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:05 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Postby Reg » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:34 am

What's the timeframe for City being expelled from the human race?
User avatar
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 12317
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:24 am
Location: Singapore

Postby kazza » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:52 am

Found this somewhere so reposting, bored of all the Corona talk

Opinion: Five deals Liverpool should make including signings of £166m-rated duo plus sales that could net £73m
LIVERPOOL FC Posted by Jaikuran Randhawa 22 hours agoFollow @jaikuran1998
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailMore956
Opinion: Five deals Liverpool should make including signings of £166m-rated duo plus sales that could net £73m
Despite most of the major football leagues being suspended due to the Coronavirus pandemic, transfer rumours are still dominating the sports headlines and top clubs like Liverpool are a prime example.

The Merseyside outfit are being linked with the signings of several high-profile stars, as well as reports suggesting that some Anfield aces will be sold before next season.


So here’s my take on the five deals Liverpool should make before next season, with the first choice being my personal view on the Reds’ biggest priority and the fifth being the least…

1. Timo Werner

Werner has been lighting things up for RB Leipzig over the last couple of years, the star has already established himself as one of Europe’s top strikers, it’s not surprising to see the ace being linked with an exit.

According to the Metro via Bild, the 24-year-old’s contract includes a release clause of €60m (£50m).

The Metro add that Klopp is keen on signing his compatriot, but the Reds will have to reportedly fend off interest from European giants Juventus, Inter Milan, Atletico Madrid and Chelsea.

Werner has been near unstoppable this season, the forward has bagged 27 goals and 12 assists in 36 appearances across all competitions.

The Germany international’s lightning-fast speed, impressive work-rate and versatility would make him the perfect fit for Klopp’s system.

The Reds could certainly do with another high-profile attacker to challenge the likes of Mohamed Salah, Bobby Firmino and Sadio Mane for a starting spot.

2. Dejan Lovren (Sale)


According to the Express via TuttoMercatoWeb, Lovren is expected to leave Anfield this summer, with Lazio reportedly interested in a move for the centre-back.

The Croatian’s contract expires next summer, meaning that the next transfer window could be Liverpool’s last chance to net some serious cash from the defender’s sale.

This report claims that Liverpool would demand a fee of €20m (£18m) for the 30-year-old.

It’s fair to say that Lovren is at the bottom of the Reds’ pecking order at centre-back when everyone is fit.

It may also be time for Liverpool to sign a younger centre-back to play a backup role or even offer this opportunity to an academy product like Nat Phillips.


Liverpool could net a respectable fee for Lovren that would allow them to bolster their squad in other areas.



3. Marko Grujic (Sale)

Grujic is currently out on loan with Hertha Berlin and German outlet FNP suggest that the Bundesliga side are keen on signing the Serbian permanently in the summer.

The Express claim that Liverpool value the midfielder at £25m, Grujic has been one of Berlin’s top performers this season so it’s hard to see why the Reds would lower this price-tag.

Whilst Grujic is a very promising talent, the ace will turn 24 in a couple of weeks and he’s shown that he’s ready to play a crucial first-team role for a top division club – unfortunately he won’t have this chance at Anfield.

Liverpool’s central midfield ranks are stacked with Jordan Henderson, James Milner, Fabinho, Gini Wijnaldum, Naby Keita, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and promising youngster Curtis Jones.

The sale of Grujic is a move that makes sense for both parties, from a business standpoint the Reds can net a considerable fee for the ace, Grujic will also have the chance to take the next step in his career.

4. Jadon Sancho

Sancho looks set to be the next transfer window’s most talked about player, the Borussia Dortmund sensation is being heavily linked with a move to several top Premier League clubs.

According to former Norway star turned reporter Jan Aage Fjortoft, Liverpool is still Jadon Sancho’s ‘most likely’ destination despite rivals Manchester United ‘working very hard’ to sign the 20-year-old.

Sancho’s price tag is reportedly €130m (£116m at this moment in time).

Sancho has already established himself as one of the world’s most exciting players.
I’d perhaps rank Sancho’s potential signature higher on this latest if it wasn’t for the major condition that Fjortoft claimed Liverpool would need to make in order to seal this deal.

Fjortoft suggests that the Reds would have to sell either Mohamed Salah or Sadio Mane to convince Sancho to head to Anfield.

Salah and Mane are just 27 years old and both are in their primes, it would be incredibly risky for Liverpool to give up either of the team’s most important players, even if its for a potentially generational star in Sancho.

5. Harry Wilson (Sale)

According to the Express, Wilson joins Grujic as a player that Liverpool could sell in order to boost their transfer budget this summer.

The Wales international is currently on loan at Bournemouth, the Express claim that the Reds are confident that they could net £30m from the winger’s sale.

Wilson has looked good for the Cherries this season, with the 23-year-old bagging six goals in 23 Premier League appearances.

With Liverpool’s attacking ranks stacked with their superstar trio, as well as promising talents like Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliott in the mix – it’s hard to see how Wilson could get regular first-team football with the Reds.

Whilst the Reds could net a handsome fee for the winger, I’ve ranked this move at the bottom of my list, as I don’t think that this potential sale should be a priority.

Wilson has shown a great account of himself in the top-flight so far, with the ace being British – there will always be a market for the ace if he can continue this level of performance, so a sale this summer isn’t exactly the be all and all.

Also whilst Wilson wouldn’t be in the first-team picture at Anfield right now, the ace’s X-factor style of play could make him a useful option for the Reds some years down the line.

Wilson has a knack for scoring goals out of nothing, making him an attractive option for many top-flight sides.
User avatar
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<
 
Posts: 4722
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Third rock from the sun

Postby damjan193 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:54 pm

Although both Wilson and Grujic deserve a chance with us, I doubt they'll get it. The money we can potentially get from them is a nice amount though, and that's where they'll serve their purpose for us.

With the sale of those two, signing Werner wouldn't be a problem for us. As for Sancho however, I agree with the article, we'd have to sell either Mo or Mane for us to sign him. And honestly, as much as I love Salah, if I were offered a straight swap between him and Sancho, I wouldn't hesitate and have it right away. So if we can sell a soon-to-be 28 Salah and sign 20 year old Sancho for the same amount we'd get from Salah, that would be good business in my book. Unfortunately, Salah will never be as good as he is with us now with any other club, and the other clubs know this. Everyone is going to be after Mane rather than Salah.

Lastly, I'd like to add to the article that we may see Gini leave as well. Now as with Salah, I'd be really sad to see him go, but he's almost 30 and youthening our midfield is also something we should think about. If we can come up with something similar as exchanging Salah with a younger version of him (Sancho), then that would be good business as well, and good for the future.

So all in all, if we can sell Lovren, Grujic, Wilson, Gini and Salah and replace them with Werner, Sancho and a new younger midfielder, then I'm all for it. In fact, add the likes Shaqiri, Chirivella a few others to the sale list and sign a young replacement for Lovren and we're all set, probably without even spending a dime. Hell, we might even make a profit.
damjan193
LFC Super Member
 
Posts: 7477
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 10:25 pm

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], MSN [Bot] and 18 guests

  • Advertisement
Online Shop Builder Sell online and/or ePOS Till System sell in-store ShopTill-e provides you everything you need... With ShopTill-e you can sell everywhere it's a true Multichannel Retailing system!