Moving forward - Now that the race for 4th is over

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Boxscarf » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:17 pm

I would like to see what Comolli and Kenny have up their sleeves in the summer, especially seeing as Comolli came out in the aftermath of the Carling Cup victory and said that last summers investment won't occur this summer.

Clearly F.S.G are being careful with their money and want to uphold the financial fairplay rules in the process. I do think that it is too early to write off any of Dalglish's signings, who is to say that next season that Carroll, Downing and Henderson won't find a higher gear on a more consistent basis? I have to confess to not being overally happy with Dalglish's signings in the summer, the likes of Adam, Downing and Henderson are hardly exciting signings, but I won't question Dalglish's judgment just yet. Adam in fairness hasn't been too bad this season, though I think to get the best out of Adam he really needs to be playing in a midfield trio. Henderson needs to be playing infield as he looks so uncomfortable being dumped over on the right and Carroll needs to start putting the ball into the back of the net on a more consistent basis.

I do think the arrival of someone like Adam after having players like Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano on your books is a testament to how this club regressed from 2009 to 2011, so hopefully better signings will arrive in the summer to really add those missing ingredients needed to become a Champions League team once more.
Boxscarf

Postby Penguins » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:03 am

Just as an example why buying young british players is a big waste of money I saw this article from 96 when a  football magazine picked out the 20 most promising british players under 20 

1. Michael Owen

2. Michael Branch
Burscrough

3. Jody Morris
St Johnstone.

4. Marlon Broomes
Altrincham

5. Kevin Nicholls
ended career

6. John Curtis
no club

7. Lee Shearer
Faversham Town

8. Darren Fitzgerald
Ards(N.I)

9. Mark Gower
Swansea

10. Jamie Buchan
Cove Rangers

11. Lee Jarman
Haverfordwest County

12. Andy Gray
Barnsley

13. Michael Bridges
Newcastle Jets.

14. Richard Wright
Ipswich

15. Rio Ferdinand

16. Grant Brebner
Melbourne Victory.

17. Paul Hartley
Alloa Atheltic

18. Emile Heskey

19. Michael Walsh
ended career

20. Mark Platts
ended career

My point speaks for itself. British promising young players guaratee nothing besides a big fat price.
Just cause Henderson and Caroll are young we don't know they won't be another Branch and Jarman.
Hopefully not, but some say it like it a forgone conclusion that both will blossom into world beaters sson enough.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:10 am

there`s a difference though, at newcastle andy carroll was a wrecking ball wreaking havoc upon defences, look at what he did to the normally reliable soto and skrtel up at st james park, remember how he outjumped the arsenal keeper to achieve newcastle`s first win at arsenal in donkeys years, remember his hat trick against villa?
most young players do well just to be in a premiership side and to hold their own against experienced players, carroll wasnt just holding his own he was causing every team he came up against real problems.
the likes of michael branch wasnt doing that.
and before you get too down on british players it`s worth remembering that even in recent years a lot of our best players have been british - steven gerrard, jamie carragher, robbie fowler, michael owen, steve mcmanaman etc and the 2 most successful clubs in recent years man united and chelsea both have had a sizable british contingent within those teams eg. united - scholes, giggs, neville, rooney, ferdinand, carrick etc  / chelsea - john terry, ashley cole, frank lampard, joe cole etc
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:45 am

All I ask is that every player plays to their full potential and strives to serve his teammates to their best ability.

Don't be fooled, its a big ask because on any given day we must have 4-5 under performers and we need all 11 ticking in harmony to get the desired effect of what the manager and coach want, which will lead to victories. If a few of them either don't get the plan or aren't good enough to execute it then obviously they must be replaced otherwise we'll never move forward. No rocket science there.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby D___C » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:08 am

In terms of summer, we need a new striker, and a new central midfielder. Thats the two positions that we are seriously lacking in quality, top quality. Suarez needs a top partner upfront, Lucas needs a top partner in the middle of the park.

Suarez, new striker, Bellamy, Kuyt, every team needs four quality forwards.
In midfield we need a passer, a playmaker, to partner Lucas. Gerrard having to come back is a waste of his talents in and around the goal area.

For the remainder of the league season, i'd like to see young Raheem introduced, abit like Kenny did with the young fullbacks last season - although neither of them are in the class of Sterling.
D___C

Postby JoeTerp » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:37 am

Play the kids in the league. Suso, Sterling, Robinson, Kelly (not really a kid) at CB and at RB, Shelvy, Henderson, etc.  And Play Carrol with Suarez as much as possible.  I know it sounds very unlikely, but I would like us to actually keep and play Cole and Aquilani when they return from their loans.  We aren't going to get fair money for their talents, so we might as well play them. 

Save Bellamy for the cup matches, and try not to push Gerrard too hard either.

In the summer, I would try to snap up Marco Reus.  Can play wide and deliver, but is also a cool finisher.  He will be coveted, but not as much as Gotze or Hazard.  Hulk would be great as well, although he is a little old.
JoeTerp

Postby D___C » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:44 am

My word Joe Terp is busy, see alot of Joe on Rawk!

Agree with playing the kids, nothing to lose. Although i wouldn't normally agree with playing Carroll, maybe the rest of this season can be used as a shop window for him, for potential buyers in the summer.
D___C

Postby Octsky » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:56 am

shldnt we give up when it is mathematically impossible to reach 4th?
talking abt playing kids when there is still more than 10 games remaining is uninspiring and sad.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby supersub » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:32 am

race for 4th is not over.....hopefully the players don't give up as easy as some newkitters
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:47 am

Agree with supersub, 4th is not over yet... It's unlikely but all the top teams are dropping points.  As Jouney say... "dont stop....." Oops my like for 70s musiic has spilled over... Sorry :(
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:46 pm

we arent the favourites to get 4th place, there`s no disputing that fact, we `re a long shot but that doesnt mean we cant do it, stranger things have happened.
we are 10 points behind arsenal but we do have a game in hand, a win today backed up with another win on tuesday (big ask i know) and things could get interesting.
there`s practically a third of the season still left to play, there`s a long way to go yet, we just need to start stringing a few wins together.
an impressive performance and a win today against a decent sunderland side would be a good start.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boxscarf » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:50 pm

supersub wrote:race for 4th is not over.....hopefully the players don't give up as easy as some newkitters

We're currently losing 1-0 to Sunderland, that's another three points thrown away.

How many more points can we keep spurning before we say 'this season just isn't our season" in terms of CL qualification?
Boxscarf

Postby tubby » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:52 pm

Our aim for next season is simple - get back to pushing for 4th place. Doing that is going to require several things but the most important for me is a change of management. As I said in the match thread I think he was a good appointment at the time but people have gotten carried away thinking he can take us forward. Tactically I don't think he can keep us going and I think that has become more and more evident in our displays of the last few months. With the exception of Suarez and Enqriue our signings have been awful. They completely dwarf anything we have ever done before IMO and that's saying something.

We need a new change of direction and we need it in the summer. The owners need to be careful with how they handle this as Kenny is an icon, he represents Liverpool Football club and asking him to move aside won't be an easy thing to do so I really hope both the owners and Kenny can work out whats best for the club to take us forward.

I don't know what the spending policy will be in the summer, will it be sell before we buy or will we get a cool 100mil to spend and then whatever we make from sales. What we need is the latter but if we get latched on with the former then we are fkd imo. I never rated Downing from the start and like many others I jumped on the Carroll bandwagon. Can Carroll do better with better service? Probably, but we need other options aside from him as he can't be trusted to lead the line yet.

It's make it or break it for us this summer. FFS I hope we get things right.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:55 pm

supersub wrote:race for 4th is not over.....hopefully the players don't give up as easy as some newkitters

it's over and has been for weeks. Time to take off the rose tinted glasses and stop pretending it's 1989. We're 2 points off 10th place FFS
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:57 pm

tubby wrote:Our aim for next season is simple - get back to pushing for 4th place. Doing that is going to require several things but the most important for me is a change of management. As I said in the match thread I think he was a good appointment at the time but people have gotten carried away thinking he can take us forward. Tactically I don't think he can keep us going and I think that has become more and more evident in our displays of the last few months. With the exception of Suarez and Enqriue our signings have been awful. They completely dwarf anything we have ever done before IMO and that's saying something.

We need a new change of direction and we need it in the summer. The owners need to be careful with how they handle this as Kenny is an icon, he represents Liverpool Football club and asking him to move aside won't be an easy thing to do so I really hope both the owners and Kenny can work out whats best for the club to take us forward.

I don't know what the spending policy will be in the summer, will it be sell before we buy or will we get a cool 100mil to spend and then whatever we make from sales. What we need is the latter but if we get latched on with the former then we are fkd imo. I never rated Downing from the start and like many others I jumped on the Carroll bandwagon. Can Carroll do better with better service? Probably, but we need other options aside from him as he can't be trusted to lead the line yet.

It's make it or break it for us this summer. FFS I hope we get things right.

I think one of the problems is that can see what kenny is thinkg. late subs, playing deep. all very strange.
should he be sacked? no, not in my view.

do i trust him to buy better players, well thats a hard one.
some of his buys have not paid off but that can be said for our last 4 managers.
I would give him another year but i tell you know that if he gets stick from the fans he will walk.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion