Moving forward - What to do: short term vs long term

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby sgs » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:54 pm

1. First, I never liked Roy Hodgson. He was made to be what he is not by the media/pundits, and yes, fans, who had a thing for Rafa Benitez. But he never appointed himself!

2. Rather his appointment was the culmination of several misguided decisions by Christain Purslow who was well in over his head in a position and at a time where the team was so badly run that such a football illiterate was actually in a position to make critical decisions, sometimes all by himself!

3. However, it must be said that in moving forward, we must not replace one bad decision by a poor chief executive, by a knee jerk reaction in the face of poor results.

4. What am saying in effect is that we must hold our noses if necessary and support the current manager to rescue as much as possible from this season. That is the short term.

5. In the long run, we must support and encourage the long term thinking of the new owners, and understand that there are no quick fixes, and that includes Dalglish as caretaker...

6. Yes, teams have made mid-season change in managers, but IMO Dalglish sadly belongs to the past, and as Roy suggested, rightly I might add, his place in LFC today should transcend the managers position. The clamour for Dalglish is based on fantasy...

7. The current division among fans need to end; we all want the same things. Never mind who was right or wrong; who is hypocritical or not. Our energies are better focussed on the long term.

This season is lost- we must accept that and focus on rescuing as much as possible without doing further harm. Thats how I see John Henry's approach.

8. Too many mistakes have been made at LFC because we were focussed on the short term. I think we are lucky to finally have someone who insists on getting it right, not just for today, but for much longer.

9. Rather than seek the quick ouster of Roy, we need to encourage the search for a new manager in the long term who fits the club.
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby maguskwt » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:10 pm

Toyota?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:39 pm

sgs wrote:1. First, I never liked Roy Hodgson. He was made to be what he is not by the media/pundits, and yes, fans, who had a thing for Rafa Benitez. But he never appointed himself!

2. Rather his appointment was the culmination of several misguided decisions by Christain Purslow who was well in over his head in a position and at a time where the team was so badly run that such a football illiterate was actually in a position to make critical decisions, sometimes all by himself!

3. However, it must be said that in moving forward, we must not replace one bad decision by a poor chief executive, by a knee jerk reaction in the face of poor results.

4. What am saying in effect is that we must hold our noses if necessary and support the current manager to rescue as much as possible from this season. That is the short term.

5. In the long run, we must support and encourage the long term thinking of the new owners, and understand that there are no quick fixes, and that includes Dalglish as caretaker...

6. Yes, teams have made mid-season change in managers, but IMO Dalglish sadly belongs to the past, and as Roy suggested, rightly I might add, his place in LFC today should transcend the managers position. The clamour for Dalglish is based on fantasy...

7. The current division among fans need to end; we all want the same things. Never mind who was right or wrong; who is hypocritical or not. Our energies are better focussed on the long term.

This season is lost- we must accept that and focus on rescuing as much as possible without doing further harm. Thats how I see John Henry's approach.

8. Too many mistakes have been made at LFC because we were focussed on the short term. I think we are lucky to finally have someone who insists on getting it right, not just for today, but for much longer.

9. Rather than seek the quick ouster of Roy, we need to encourage the search for a new manager in the long term who fits the club.

Why is this season lost already ?
We are still in 2 cups and should be trying to finish in the top 4 if possible.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby yellsub66 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:13 pm

I agree with Ben Patrick.

How can you say this season is lost already? This season's premiership is wide open with Chelsea, the Scum, Man City , Spurs and the Gunners all dropping points left right and centre. If we can go on a sustained run then we will be right in the mix for the Champions League places.

We won't go on a sustained run with a frustrating, useless 'footballing dinosaur' managing the club!! :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Hodgson should be sacked immediately! Can you imagine any of the other 'Big' clubs I just mentioned, putting up with the dross we are currently playing??

Hodsgon should go immediately and he can take Carragher, Poulson and Konchesky with him!!

"This season is lost"...what a joke..Shankly must be turning in his grave!
yellsub66

Postby bigmick » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:19 pm

yellsub66 wrote:I agree with Ben Patrick.

How can you say this season is lost already? This season's premiership is wide open with Chelsea, the Scum, Man City , Spurs and the Gunners all dropping points left right and centre. If we can go on a sustained run then we will be right in the mix for the Champions League places.

....................................................................................

We won't go on a sustained run with a frustrating, useless 'footballing dinosaur' managing the club!! :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Hodgson should be sacked immediately! Can you imagine any of the other 'Big' clubs I just mentioned, putting up with the dross we are currently playing??

Hodsgon should go immediately and he can take Carragher, Poulson and Konchesky with him!!

Have you got a split personality mate  ???
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:28 pm

:laugh:
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yellsub66 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:50 pm

bigmick wrote:
yellsub66 wrote:I agree with Ben Patrick.

....................................................................................

Have you got a split personality mate  ???

I mean't if we can go on a sustained run with a new or caretaker manager in place...not Hodgson obviously!!

You know I watched the game in the pub on Saturday, surrounded by several Stoke fans!! I was so embarrassed by our pathetic performance that I think they genuinely felt sorry for me at the end!! Liverpool are becoming a joke team. We had our bad days under Rafa..but we were never viewed as a joke!!
yellsub66

Postby dundreamin » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:01 pm

The seasons lost WTF!  thats the problem these days fickle fans who want everything now. We,ve just been through one of the most turbulent times in our history.it's not going to be sorted out within months maybe years. But to write the season off is crass stupidity. GET A GRIP. I dont concede defeat until it's impossible. REMEMBER ISTANBUL? ???
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:03 pm

i'm going to be painfully positive too.

The season isn't lost, heck even the league is wide open. If we strung together 10 wins we'd be in the title race...IF  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sgs » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:10 pm

7_Kewell wrote:i'm going to be painfully positive too.

The season isn't lost, heck even the league is wide open. If we strung together 10 wins we'd be in the title race...IF  :D

U can always dreaam!
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby sgs » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:12 pm

dundreamin wrote:The seasons lost WTF!  thats the problem these days fickle fans who want everything now. We,ve just been through one of the most turbulent times in our history.it's not going to be sorted out within months maybe years. But to write the season off is crass stupidity. GET A GRIP. I dont concede defeat until it's impossible. REMEMBER ISTANBUL? ???

Its called realism dude! Istanbul is Istanbul....
sgs

Postby tubby » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:12 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
sgs wrote:1. First, I never liked Roy Hodgson. He was made to be what he is not by the media/pundits, and yes, fans, who had a thing for Rafa Benitez. But he never appointed himself!

Why is this season lost already ?
We are still in 2 cups and should be trying to finish in the top 4 if possible.

I think some may hold that view because in terms of team rebuilding why give money to someone your gonna sack in a few months.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:13 pm

sgs wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:i'm going to be painfully positive too.

U can always dreaam!

DReeeammm
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dundreamin » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:25 pm

stop being defeatist.We are still LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB the one and only. We are unique we are special and we are and always will be THE GREATEST FOOTBALL CLUB ON EARTH so think on. YNWA
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby tonyeh » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:30 am

sgs wrote:Its called realism dude! Istanbul is Istanbul....

...or is it Constantinople?

Hmmmm.

As for the season being "lost", there's plenty in it yet. Liverpool haven't been playing well, no, but thay have had some good performances and if that can be harnessed, 4th is achievable.

They're 3 points off of Bolton in 5th spot for Christ's sake and it's not inconcievable that ALL of the teams currently above (Stoke, Villa, Newcastle, Spurs, Sunderland and Bolton) will drop points. In fact, they may all do so in their next matches, which would see Liverpool 3 points off of City (assuming they don't win their next game either).

4th spot has to be the aim, AFAIK, and City are still a shakey outfit, plus there's still a couple of cups to play for.

Looking at the points, not the table number, the Season is far from "lost".
tonyeh

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion