MANCHESTER CITY VS LIVERPOOL - 1st team to beat man city at home?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:23 am

Ciggy wrote:Bit more confident of getting 3 points on sunday now, cheeky b@stard City fans booing their players off its the first time in 50 years they have gone on a ten game run at home unbeaten.

We retain fourth, fingers crossed Chelsea get beat,  we win on sunday we go 3rd with our game in hand we are right back in the mix. :)

Oh and Id throw a bid in for Santa Cruz or swap him for Crouch if Hughes is interested.

what u expect , they have been winning 9 games in a row at home , now their 100% winning record is gone , hopefully we will be the first team to beat them at home this season . Records are meant to be broken , like some1 mentioned in this thread earlier
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:28 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:We get an extra day preparation plus Kewell will be back. We can play any 2 of Mach, Alonso and Gerrard, even all 3 with Gerrard out on the right.

Only worrying thing is whether one of Hyypia or Agger will be available to partner Carragher.

Hyypia headache forces Benitez to re-shuffle Liverpool defensive options
By Peter Lansley
Friday December 28 2007

Rafael Benitez is facing a defensive conundrum before Sunday's crucial match away to Manchester City as Sami Hyypia struggles to recover from the ankle injury suffered in the St Stephen's Day victory away to Derby.

The 34--year--old former Liverpool captain has played more frequently this season than anyone at Anfield had envisaged but, with their title ambitions hanging precariously, Benitez will have to choose between patching up Hyypia, rushing Daniel Agger back from a three--month layoff or throwing Jack Hobbs into the fray only three weeks after Reading exposed Liverpool's frailties by beating them 3--1.

Liverpool emerged from a narrow escape on Wednesday at Pride Park and had Steven Gerrard not scored a last--minute winner, their slim title prospects would have dwindled to minimal. As it is, Liverpool, in fourth place, are nine points adrift of leaders Manchester United, as they prepare to face a City side who are fifth.

"We made it difficult for ourselves at Derby," Ryan Babel, the Liverpool forward, said. "If we hadn't won, I think people were going to ask themselves, 'Are Liverpool really strong enough for the title?"

Xabi Alonso has also been returning to fitness after a double metatarsal break and the midfield player accepts that it is not possible to come back into the team in top gear after the kind of absence he and Agger have endured. "I'm getting that match fitness that you need," the Spaniard said. "After playing against Chelsea [in the Carling Cup defeat] last week, I was delighted to get another 90 minutes. I am getting there after almost three months out."

Gerrard's goal came with barely 40 seconds left on the clock and Alonso is adamant that the team must control games better if they are to keep challenging for the title. "We did not have the ball and weren't creating chances, so we can't be happy with the first 30 minutes of that second half," he said. We have to learn and not repeat what happened at Derby again."

While the defence is creaking, Fernando Torres and Gerrard have been in fine goalscoring fettle. "Torres and Gerrard can give something extra to the squad because they have already been playing at the highest level for a couple of years," Babel said. "You can expect those type of performances from them. But they need us to help them. If they do all the work they can't develop things for the team."

Benitez's desire to act swiftly once the transfer window opens next month has only been sharpened by the defensive injury problems, but he promised not to write off his team's chances of finishing the season strongly yet again to compete with Arsenal, Chelsea and United.

"These points are won now and we are a little bit closer," he said. "When people ask if we have a realistic chance of the title they are really trying to tell me something. Let's wait and see. We have Manchester City next, and that is very important for us. The most important thing for me is that we stay close ... and we still have one game in hand. You never know what can happen." (© The Times, London).

Our worst fears have been confirmed

Source:http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/hyypia-headache-forces-benitez-to-reshuffle-liverpool-defensive-options-1254204.html
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Dotty » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:38 am

Is Bale a morf of a monky :D

i would not by him on this point alone imagine the stick from the visiting supporters with a player who looks like that.

has there ever been anyone that looked that much like a monkey in an LFC shirt. Please let me know.

Anyway Man city

this is a must game my team would be

Reina
Arbeloa
JC
Hobbs
Riise
SG
Mascha
Alonso
Benny
Torres
Babbel

Fight pace with pace a front with SG and Benny out wide they will have to track back and with Babbel and Torres upfront well they will :censored: themselves.

Would love a win  2-1

would be happy to come away with a share of the points

come on YNWA :bowdown
image001.gif
Red Dotty

Postby Seano Kop » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:41 am

nope, a share of the points wont be good enough. We cant think like that. If we want to be contenders, we must win these games. And we must win them now!
Seano Kop

Postby Red Dotty » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:48 am

Seano Kop wrote:nope, a share of the points wont be good enough. We cant think like that. If we want to be contenders, we must win these games. And we must win them now!

I Just think we are going to a team that have not been beaten at home. They will be out to prove they can compete and they have a manager that although could not cut it at international level is showing his worth, not forgetting some good players.

Yes it would be great to win every game and i for one hope we do win but this is a tough game and if we do draw, that will again be the end of our title challeng for some people.

Not to create an argument but they are my thought for sharing the points

sorry
image001.gif
Red Dotty

Postby burjennio » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:01 am

It really was in terms of balance quite simply a question of which of the two allows Gerrard to function at full throttle, and at the moment it's the Argentinian. Lando has consistently stuck to this "most important player at the club" thing and fair play to him for it, but I'm equally adamant that he's totally incorrect. The two most important players at the club at the moment are Gerrard and Torres, by an absolute distance and this is why we need to buy a partner for Torres, and we must play the best partner for Gerrard if he plays centrally. Given the captain scores goals from midfield at a rate that most strikers would be proud of, all the "unseen" work in the World isn't going to render another midfielder as being more important than him, it really is that simple. As I thought some time ago, Masherano's willingness to "defer" to Gerrard and do all the donkey work while passing both the glory and the ball to him whenever he wants it, do give him a slight edge when playing as his partner.

:nod

Coulnt agree with you more - he gives Gerrard the freedom he hasnt had since Hamann left. I noticed Gerrard was playing very deep against Derby with Alonso as a partner , kinda like he does for England, it wasnt until they equalized that he started to attack more and we started playing with some urgency in the 2nd half
burjennio

Postby Red Dotty » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:37 am

burjennio wrote:
It really was in terms of balance quite simply a question of which of the two allows Gerrard to function at full throttle, and at the moment it's the Argentinian. Lando has consistently stuck to this "most important player at the club" thing and fair play to him for it, but I'm equally adamant that he's totally incorrect. The two most important players at the club at the moment are Gerrard and Torres, by an absolute distance and this is why we need to buy a partner for Torres, and we must play the best partner for Gerrard if he plays centrally. Given the captain scores goals from midfield at a rate that most strikers would be proud of, all the "unseen" work in the World isn't going to render another midfielder as being more important than him, it really is that simple. As I thought some time ago, Masherano's willingness to "defer" to Gerrard and do all the donkey work while passing both the glory and the ball to him whenever he wants it, do give him a slight edge when playing as his partner.

:nod

Coulnt agree with you more - he gives Gerrard the freedom he hasnt had since Hamann left. I noticed Gerrard was playing very deep against Derby with Alonso as a partner , kinda like he does for England, it wasnt until they equalized that he started to attack more and we started playing with some urgency in the 2nd half

But we also thought it was a cert 3 points, Then they woke up :D
image001.gif
Red Dotty

Postby Foximus » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:30 pm

Kewell simply has to play this game, some of the players are starting to feed off each others games i.e - Gerrard and mascherano, Kewell and Torres.  This is what makes a team so dangerous, look at ManU..Id even start Crouch for this one as i think he can get one on top of the City back 4.
Foximus

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:28 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:We get an extra day preparation plus Kewell will be back. We can play any 2 of Mach, Alonso and Gerrard, even all 3 with Gerrard out on the right.

Only worrying thing is whether one of Hyypia or Agger will be available to partner Carragher.

Hyypia headache forces Benitez to re-shuffle Liverpool defensive options
By Peter Lansley
Friday December 28 2007

Rafael Benitez is facing a defensive conundrum before Sunday's crucial match away to Manchester City as Sami Hyypia struggles to recover from the ankle injury suffered in the St Stephen's Day victory away to Derby.

The 34--year--old former Liverpool captain has played more frequently this season than anyone at Anfield had envisaged but, with their title ambitions hanging precariously, Benitez will have to choose between patching up Hyypia, rushing Daniel Agger back from a three--month layoff or throwing Jack Hobbs into the fray only three weeks after Reading exposed Liverpool's frailties by beating them 3--1.

Liverpool emerged from a narrow escape on Wednesday at Pride Park and had Steven Gerrard not scored a last--minute winner, their slim title prospects would have dwindled to minimal. As it is, Liverpool, in fourth place, are nine points adrift of leaders Manchester United, as they prepare to face a City side who are fifth.

"We made it difficult for ourselves at Derby," Ryan Babel, the Liverpool forward, said. "If we hadn't won, I think people were going to ask themselves, 'Are Liverpool really strong enough for the title?"

Xabi Alonso has also been returning to fitness after a double metatarsal break and the midfield player accepts that it is not possible to come back into the team in top gear after the kind of absence he and Agger have endured. "I'm getting that match fitness that you need," the Spaniard said. "After playing against Chelsea [in the Carling Cup defeat] last week, I was delighted to get another 90 minutes. I am getting there after almost three months out."

Gerrard's goal came with barely 40 seconds left on the clock and Alonso is adamant that the team must control games better if they are to keep challenging for the title. "We did not have the ball and weren't creating chances, so we can't be happy with the first 30 minutes of that second half," he said. We have to learn and not repeat what happened at Derby again."

While the defence is creaking, Fernando Torres and Gerrard have been in fine goalscoring fettle. "Torres and Gerrard can give something extra to the squad because they have already been playing at the highest level for a couple of years," Babel said. "You can expect those type of performances from them. But they need us to help them. If they do all the work they can't develop things for the team."

Benitez's desire to act swiftly once the transfer window opens next month has only been sharpened by the defensive injury problems, but he promised not to write off his team's chances of finishing the season strongly yet again to compete with Arsenal, Chelsea and United.

"These points are won now and we are a little bit closer," he said. "When people ask if we have a realistic chance of the title they are really trying to tell me something. Let's wait and see. We have Manchester City next, and that is very important for us. The most important thing for me is that we stay close ... and we still have one game in hand. You never know what can happen." (© The Times, London).

Our worst fears have been confirmed

Source:http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/hyypia-headache-forces-benitez-to-reshuffle-liverpool-defensive-options-1254204.html

Use Arbeloa alongside Carragher, he is a natural defender who can play all along the back line.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:39 pm

DEFENSIVE HEADACHE FOR RAFA

Rafael Benitez is facing a defensive headache ahead of this weekend's trip to Manchester City. 
The Reds could be without Sami Hyypia after the Finnish defender limped out of the Boxing Day victory over Derby with an ankle injury.

With Alvaro Arbeloa still recovering from flu and Daniel Agger on his way back from a broken metatarsal, youngster Jack Hobbs could be handed a starting role at the City of Manchester stadium.

"Sami has an ankle problem, it is a difficult situation," said Benitez. "Arbeloa has flu so this could now be a real problem.

"Daniel Agger is closer, he has been training this week. We will wait to see how Sami is but we can use Jack or we could push Agger to play, we will wait and see.

"And Jamie Carragher has four yellow cards so that just makes the problem more worrying.

"But Agger and Hobbs are both training and Arbeloa will recover from his bout of sickness. All that will be a big boost for us."

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:07 pm

I'd go for:

Reina

Riise
Hyypia
Carragher
Arbeloa

Kewell
Mascherano
Alonso
Gerrard

Torres
Kuyt

Subs:

Itandje
Leiva
Benayoun
Babel
Hobbs
LFC2007

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:34 pm

LFC2007 wrote:I'd go for:

Reina

Riise
Hyypia
Carragher
Arbeloa

Kewell
Mascherano
Alonso
Gerrard

Torres
Kuyt

Subs:

Itandje
Leiva
Benayoun
Babel
Hobbs

i'd go with that...especially with Gerrard on the right.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:30 pm

from soccernet...

Benitez looks for Liverpool to improve

Rafael Benitez insists the 'best is yet to come' from Liverpool and their goalscoring sensation Fernando Torres.

Benitez knows the Reds must continue their winning ways at Manchester City on Sunday and then against Wigan next Wednesday to retain the momentum they need for a continued Premier League title challenge.

With Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City all dropping points this week, Benitez can sense an opportunity - starting at Eastlands against Sven-Goran Eriksson's fifth-placed side.

Torres, with 15 goals in 18 games, is a certainty to start - the young Spaniard's precision a key element for Liverpool.

Benitez dismisses suggestions that all realistic hope of the title has gone.

With the Reds nine points behind leaders Manchester United - albeit with a game in hand - the manager said: 'My team can do better, and so can Fernando.

'He has settled well in England - but he can still learn more. Our season has not been bad, but it could be better. We are in a good position. It could be better, but the best of us is still to come.'

Benitez sees plenty of signs from his team that they are capable of significant improvement.

'We move the ball quickly; we make a lot of chances - and we must keep doing this but also we must be more clinical,' he prescribes. 'We must score in key moments - that has been the area where we can improve more.

'I believe we can still win the league, but we must concentrate on continuing the way we have been over Christmas.

'Before the holiday period we hoped for a good spell; now we have six points and two wins, and we will see what happens against Manchester City and Wigan.'

Benitez expects to be without defender Sami Hyypia, who has an ankle injury, and must decide whether to risk Danish youngster Daniel Agger in his first match for three months following a broken metatarsal.

He could alternatively switch Alvaro Arbeloa into the heart of defence alongside Jamie Carragher, or draft in teenage rookie Jack Hobbs.

But even with such problems, the Spaniard still has confidence in his squad.

'Now we are a little bit closer to the top, at the end of the holiday period we may be a bit closer still,' he suggests. 'Others have dropped points - we must make sure we do not.

'We have confidence we can win away games; we have produced good away form. At the moment we cannot make any more mistakes, but if our rivals drop points like they have done we could find ourselves in a fantastic position.'

Much will depend on Torres continuing his hot streak, but Benitez still wants more from the ex-Atletico Madrid star.

He says: 'Fernando is playing well, scoring goals and showing character and quality. He has settled down really well in England and he is playing well but can play better.

'He is only 23; he can improve and learn. He can play better than we have seen so far.'

Benitez maintains he will be able to do business in the transfer window.

'We will try to find the right player at the right price. We have talked - there are no problems, because we do think the same way,' he said of himself and Liverpool's owners.

'We will continue to work, like every club, to improve our squad. We will try to do the same; if we can find the right players at the right price maybe we can do some business.

'If we cannot, we will try to improve what we have. But I believe I can go to the board and ask if the right player comes along - and I think they would say yes.

'We are not thinking about selling any of our players, because we will need them for the rest of the season.

'We have the FA Cup, the Premier League and the Champions League. We are not thinking about letting anyone leave.'

-----------------------------------------------------

wow it is quite rare that benitez points out a player for praise and he's doing just that with torres...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby nvr » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:39 pm

I would go out with a more defensive midfield and introduce the second striker if need be:

Man City is not getting the results for the last 3 or 4 games, they might be extra agressive.
nvr

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:53 pm

LFC2007 wrote:I'd go for:

Reina

Riise
Hyypia
Carragher
Arbeloa

Kewell
Mascherano
Alonso
Gerrard