MANCHESTER CITY VS LIVERPOOL - 1st team to beat man city at home?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:13 am

nvr wrote:I would go out with a more defensive midfield and introduce the second striker if need be:

Man City is not getting the results for the last 3 or 4 games, they might be extra agressive.

Change Alonso for Sissoko and I really would pay money to see that team on the pitch. Call it defensive if you will but I can tell you that with that team I can see scoring plenty of goals, of every kind and fashion.

Why playing two strikers if everybody in the forum agrees only one of them is top class?

Why not using the three of our well praised best midfield in the world?

With a strong midfield like that, with simple covers alternated by Mascherano and / or Alonso Kewell and Babel would be allowed to be in near the box more often. So would be Gerrard and with his passes, long shots, and one-twos with Torres they'd do a lot of harm. I know it's a broken record, but Rafa, rotate until you test that again!

:D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:20 am

nvr wrote:I would go out with a more defensive midfield and introduce the second striker if need be:

Man City is not getting the results for the last 3 or 4 games, they might be extra agressive.

But the wimbledon style long ball could undo us on the counter, especially as the fullbacks are pushing forward.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:35 am

Bit worried about defensive options to be honest, Carragher is the only one that we can truly rely on for Sunday.

Finnan has just come back from an injury, even if Agger plays he is being rushed in quicker than we would like and hasn’t played in the first team for months let alone the reserves, Hyypia looks very doubtful, Riise has never been the most reliable defender and has been on poor form, Aurelio is still working his way back to full fitness, Arbeloa has got flu, and Hobbs doesn’t look like a Premiership player yet.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:40 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Bit worried about defensive options to be honest, Carragher is the only one that we can truly rely on for Sunday.

Finnan has just come back from an injury, even if Agger plays he is being rushed in quicker than we would like and hasn’t played in the first team for months let alone the reserves, Hyypia looks very doubtful, Riise has never been the most reliable defender and has been on poor form, Aurelio is still working his way back to full fitness, Arbeloa has got flu, and Hobbs doesn’t look like a Premiership player yet.

But other than that what did the romans truly do for us !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:15 am

Change Alonso for Sissoko and I really would pay money to see that team on the pitch. Call it defensive if you will but I can tell you that with that team I can see scoring plenty of goals, of every kind and fashion.

Why playing two strikers if everybody in the forum agrees only one of them is top class?

Why not using the three of our well praised best midfield in the world?

With a strong midfield like that, with simple covers alternated by Mascherano and / or Alonso Kewell and Babel would be allowed to be in near the box more often. So would be Gerrard and with his passes, long shots, and one-twos with Torres they'd do a lot of harm. I know it's a broken record, but Rafa, rotate until you test that again!

I think I'm inclined to agree with you about that Sabre :D
66-1112520797

Postby Sarge » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:06 am

personally, I don't care who rafa fields...

Bottom line is the players need to be more clinical

If he fields the strongest team but play like sh!te it certainly make no difference
http://www.pbh2.com/humor/soccer-dive-gifs/attachment/soccer-dive-gifs-2/
Sarge

Postby Foximus » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:18 am

Sarge wrote:personally, I don't care who rafa fields...

If he fields the strongest team but play like sh!te it certainly make no difference

Mate, if he doesnt field the strongest 11 we will lose, regardless of how they play.  We need the best possible 11 out there and playing there best football.  Therefore id play 5 midfielders, and Torres as the lone striker. The same team as above but with Alonso rather than Sissoko.
Foximus

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:53 am

Red Dotty wrote:
Seano Kop wrote:nope, a share of the points wont be good enough. We cant think like that. If we want to be contenders, we must win these games. And we must win them now!

I Just think we are going to a team that have not been beaten at home. They will be out to prove they can compete and they have a manager that although could not cut it at international level is showing his worth, not forgetting some good players.

Yes it would be great to win every game and i for one hope we do win but this is a tough game and if we do draw, that will again be the end of our title challeng for some people.

Not to create an argument but they are my thought for sharing the points

sorry

records are meant to be broken
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:57 am

Foximus wrote:

Mate, if he doesnt field the strongest 11 we will lose, regardless of how they play.  We need the best possible 11 out there and playing there best football.  Therefore id play 5 midfielders, and Torres as the lone striker. The same team as above but with Alonso rather than Sissoko.

don't u think torres as a lone striker , he'd be marked very heavily and won't be given a inch to use his pace , heck i don't think he would be even allowed to touch the ball , i'd rather he and crouch start
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Foximus » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:21 am

Toffeehater wrote:
Foximus wrote:

don't u think torres as a lone striker , he'd be marked very heavily and won't be given a inch to use his pace , heck i don't think he would be even allowed to touch the ball , i'd rather he and crouch start

i Thought you had said you dont care who Rafa fields, but anyways maybe your right but id like to see our best 11 players on the field and that would mean just the one striker and 5 in the midfield.
Foximus

Postby Seano Kop » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:47 am

We're a top side. We dont want to drop points to anybody, and we want to break records, that's what top teams do. Quit the negative attitude man, we need to stay positive for the boys! :)
Seano Kop

Postby Foximus » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:20 am

Im not being negative just realistic.  Man City are a really hard proposition at home, and IMHO we should field our best 11 players which would include a 5 man midfield and Torres as a lone striker..thats just my opinion dude..
Foximus

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:37 am

Toffeehater wrote:
Foximus wrote:

I agree mate, I have never been a lover of the lone striker, and I really do believe it can shorten the career of a player, who plays that role in England for very long. In Europe I think its a viable alternative but in the prem where you have 2 brutes kicking at you for 90 mins you need someone to share the knocks with.

I also think that the way we play its very easy for a single striker to become too isolated and reliant on long balls over the top.

Babel, Crouch or even Kuyt would be in my team. (We need a top second striker )
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:56 pm

s@int wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
Foximus wrote:

I agree mate, I have never been a lover of the lone striker, and I really do believe it can shorten the career of a player, who plays that role in England for very long. In Europe I think its a viable alternative but in the prem where you have 2 brutes kicking at you for 90 mins you need someone to share the knocks with.

I also think that the way we play its very easy for a single striker to become too isolated and reliant on long balls over the top.

Babel, Crouch or even Kuyt would be in my team. (We need a top second striker )

The risk of isolation is dispelled by players in movement. In nowadays football you can't be static, and that's where the role of the likes of Kewell and Babel would be important, and that's where Gerrard could use his mobility, either to go deep and start a play, either to roam to the right and create a superiority of 2 against 1 alongside Babel, or occupying the right meanwhile Babel goes to striker positions.

If you're not fixed and static, if you make the correct movements when you haven't the ball, there's no risk of isolation. After all when we play 2 strikers one of them always have been forced to be out of the box and working, and that's a need because you have to seek a balance in defence.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:38 pm

Chavsea and Manure both being held 1-1 at the moment.

If it stays that way, there's a great chance for us on Sunday.

Particularly if Everscum and Arsebone draw.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion