LIVERPOOL VS ANDERLECHT THREAD - build up and reaction

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:50 am

One moan from last night though. Was I the only one screaming shoot when Gerrard had acres only to see him thread it through to someone and it fall apart. Now I know he is trying to help those out who are short of goals but if we are to be ruthless with team, Gerrard of all people shouldn't give up opportunities to score.

I want to see some of stevie's rockets
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:55 am

rafa delight and mourinho moan

we are champions, champions of europe

ynwa :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:58 am

Really happy with the performance and result last night, just what we needed.

3 major positives came out of last night apart from the win obviously:

1.  Only one change from the team at the weekend, maybe a change in heart from Benitez here, I don't think more than about 1-2 players should be changed from week to week so we can get some consistency.

2.  Gerrard on the right again.  Myself and a few others on here have been saying it for ages, he's the only player we have capable of playing there and we have plenty of good centre mids to allow him to play wide for now.

3.  Morientes on the scoresheet, really hope he goes from strength to strength now and shows us what a good player he is.  Unfortunately I still think we will only see the very best of him in Europe, but I'd be glad to be proved wrong.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:10 am

john craig wrote:2.  Gerrard on the right again.  Myself and a few others on here have been saying it for ages, he's the only player we have capable of playing there and we have plenty of good centre mids to allow him to play wide for now.

Sounds daft John but I actually think we look better in central midfield aswell when Stevie plays wide right. It allows Alonso the freedom to sit, with Sissoko doing the box to box thing. I said on here the other day that Gerrard is a better right-midfielder than either Wright-Phillips or Beckham in my opinion, I guess it's just a question of whether he would stand playing there on anything like a regular basis.
Hopefully if we can work out a fluid formation which we seemed to be working on last night whereby Gerrard can drift in off the right-side and Sissoko drifts out to cover, then Stevies Hollywood tendancies can still be accomodated, (please don't take this the wrong way, Gerrard is our best player and we have to get him on the ball where he can hurt the opposition the most).
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anfield rapper » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:18 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
akumaface wrote:Why we are so different from the way we play in the EPL??? Is it because of the jersy and can we wear that when we play league games?

I The reason its different is the style of play. Champions league gives the team so much more time on the ball, we settke into a rhythm so much quicker. The premiership is more hectic, you gotta win a midfield battle for 10 mins before anything significant comes out of the game

Yeah i think this is particularly true about Garcia. I am a big fan of Garcia's (what a goal last night  :buttrock ) but he doesn't hold the ball very well. In the premiership this is exposed because of the tightness of the games.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:08 pm

bigmick wrote:
john craig wrote:2.  Gerrard on the right again.  Myself and a few others on here have been saying it for ages, he's the only player we have capable of playing there and we have plenty of good centre mids to allow him to play wide for now.

Sounds daft John but I actually think we look better in central midfield aswell when Stevie plays wide right. It allows Alonso the freedom to sit, with Sissoko doing the box to box thing. I said on here the other day that Gerrard is a better right-midfielder than either Wright-Phillips or Beckham in my opinion, I guess it's just a question of whether he would stand playing there on anything like a regular basis.
Hopefully if we can work out a fluid formation which we seemed to be working on last night whereby Gerrard can drift in off the right-side and Sissoko drifts out to cover, then Stevies Hollywood tendancies can still be accomodated, (please don't take this the wrong way, Gerrard is our best player and we have to get him on the ball where he can hurt the opposition the most).

I hear what you're saying Mick.  You could be right about Gerrard being a better right mid than Beckham or Wright-Philips for England.  Personally I think Beckham is finished and has been since before the last European Championships, he shouldn't be near an England shirt, Wright-Philips is a bloody good player and will get better, but not playing every week at Chelsea will slow his progress.

In terms of Liverpool, we looked a much more balanced team last night.  I don't think there's any reason why Gerrard can't do that role on a more regular basis.  He can vary things by hitting the by-line and making runs infield and into the box, a similar role to what Ljungberg and Pires do for Arsenal.  It would give us good width and hopefully allow Gerrard the freedom so he is not spending spells of the game isolated on the touchline.  Gerrard certainly has the ability and versatility to excel in that position and it would also make the most of his good pace.

As for the centre, well Alonso is too good to drop and in my opinion so is Sissoko.  And obviously Gerrard is our best player, so you have to play all three and last night is certainly the way to go about doing that.  With Sissoko and Xabi in the centre I'd be confident we'd win the vast majority of midfield battles even without Gerrard in there.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:38 pm

It was a good performance last night and is it possible that we played with the same mentality 2 games in a row in different compatitions.

Only the one change up front but the defence and midfield carried on were we left off on Saturday, the midfield provided pace, power, stamina and aggresion andmost of all quality and we looked like a team once again.

Players were enjoying themselves we could go direct, or down the wings, little one touch moves on the edge of the box, we played to each others strenthes and at times it was great to watch.

sissoko had his best passing game of the season, not best game but passing wise it was much improved he and Alonso dominated the game from start to finish, and the back four was quality again, as they normally are when messers Josemi and Traore arnt involved.

Id go to Villa on Saturday with the same mentality and wouldnt tinker to much, only possibly bringing Cisse in for Crouch but other than that, there is no need to break up a winning team.

I wouldnt go as far to say a corner has been turned (after all we have played West Ham and Anderlect) But a win on Saturday would give the lads as big a boost as any although most looks like they have got there confidence back.

Just please God hope Rafa doesnt change it tomuch or revert to 1 upfront.

Oh and 1 last thing, we had quality coming from the bench which didnt break up the play Zenden had a crackin half an hour puttin some great balls in, cisse got his now customery goal and Kewell got an assist but still looks like he lacks a yard of pace.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby AlanHansen » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:46 pm

bigmick wrote:Sounds daft John but I actually think we look better in central midfield aswell when Stevie plays wide right. It allows Alonso the freedom to sit, with Sissoko doing the box to box thing. I said on here the other day that Gerrard is a better right-midfielder than either Wright-Phillips or Beckham in my opinion, I guess it's just a question of whether he would stand playing there on anything like a regular basis.

The team look more balanced with him out on the right but he isn't a winger - he hasn't got that yard of pace or the moves to get beyond the last defender and his crossing is average - look at the west ham game.
AlanHansen

Postby stmichael » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:54 pm

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby jeffiroquai » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:57 pm

great clips....Thanks St. Mick.

Here in the states, all I got was Chelsea on the telly and no highlights at all of the 'pool.
'Obviously Rafa is notorious for chopping and changing but he is chopping and changing with cream and caviar.'-Steve Coppell
jeffiroquai
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:23 pm

AlanHansen wrote:The team look more balanced with him out on the right but he isn't a winger - he hasn't got that yard of pace or the moves to get beyond the last defender and his crossing is average - look at the west ham game.

yes I know he's not a winger. That's why I said that I thought Gerrard was a better right-sided midfielder than either Beckham or wright Phillips. Wright-Phillips is the best and indeed only winger out of the three.
My personal opinion is that we shouldn't play with wingers but should play with wide midfielders. I've been over it a million times though so I'll not bore everyone senseless with the reasons now. There is a difference between a right midfielder and a right winger you're quite right though.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:24 pm

incidentally, did anybody else hear bagpipes in the kop last night? :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:37 pm

AlanHansen wrote:The team look more balanced with him out on the right but he isn't a winger - he hasn't got that yard of pace or the moves to get beyond the last defender and his crossing is average - look at the west ham game.

Must be watching a different player to me. I think he can attack like a tricky 'winger' but he'll also get back and do the defensive duties associated with the more solid variety of 'wide midfielder'. He also has the pace and stamina to come infield to get into the box, knowing that he can make it back again.

Gerrard is such a unique player; the 'perfect' modern footballer, if you will. He can do it all. He can pass, tackle and score goals. He is tall, and he is quick. He also has boundless energy. And, the two reasons he is so effective out wide: he can beat a man, and he can whip in a deadly cross.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby davo_LFC » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:03 pm

someones been reading the paul tomkins article :D

totally agree st michael

gerrard is the complete midfielder and certainly has the pace and trickery and energy to beat his man and IMO he is one of the best crossers there is :)
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby AlanHansen » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:19 pm

bigmick wrote:

yes I know he's not a winger. That's why I said that I thought Gerrard was a better right-sided midfielder than either Beckham or wright Phillips. Wright-Phillips is the best and indeed only winger out of the three.
My personal opinion is that we shouldn't play with wingers but should play with wide midfielders. I've been over it a million times though so I'll not bore everyone senseless with the reasons now. There is a difference between a right midfielder and a right winger you're quite right though.

I dunno, Moro, Garcia and Crouch(maybe) would benefit from someone who can get to the byline and get crosses in, I think Gerrard would be wasted on the right, he's better up the middle.
AlanHansen

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion