Dirk kuyt  interview - Seems a great bloke

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:36 pm

Two months since his dream move from Feyenoord, Dutch striker Dirk Kuyt talks to liverpoolfc.tv about his new teammates, his own clothing brand and how he feared his sick dad would never visit Anfield. Oh, and how his Scouse is coming along. 

You've been here two months now Dirk. How are you settling in?

The people in and around the club have been very nice to me and my family, trying to help us every day with finding a house and other things, so I'm settling in very well. My wife and my daughter are with me and we're staying at the moment in an apartment which the club found for me. We've just found a nice house in South Liverpool so we're going there in one or two weeks.

Which players have been helping you acclimatise to your new surroundings?

Every player has tried to help. The local guys like Carra and Gerrard, and also the Dutch guys like Bolo Zenden. I had been driving to the training ground with Craig Bellamy because his house was also not ready, but now it is ready so I have to drive on my own. Sometimes we drink something after a match with each other, so it's really great.

What have you been doing in your spare time?

I've just been trying to find a house. You don't have a lot of time because when you play a lot of matches you are always focussing on your game. When there is time left I've tried to visit the city or eat something in a good restaurant. I think the city is very nice, the people are friendly and the restaurants are really great.

Have you picked up any Scouse yet?

When they speak not too fast I can understand. I like it when a city has its own language because the village I come from is the same. It's very difficult when Gerrard, Robbie or Carra speak to each other – especially Carra.

Has the club lived up to your expectations?

The club is very big. I already knew that, but it has impressed me how familiar everybody is with each other for such a big club. It's like a family club. You always hear stories about big clubs being not so familiar but not here. They also have supporters all over the world – it's unbelievable. When I played with the national team in Ireland there were so many Liverpool supporters, and I know there are also a lot in Holland. Every week when I go to get family or friends from the airport there are always Liverpool fans coming over from Holland.

What was the reaction in Holland to your transfer?

They think I made a good decision and that Liverpool is a good club. A lot of Feyenoord fans have said they want to come and watch me. I'm sure once they have watched one game, especially at Anfield, they will be Liverpool fans.

Is it right that you have your own clothing brand over there? If so, when will Liverpool fans be able to get their hands on the latest Dirk Kuyt clobber?

There is something called the Dirk Kuyt Foundation to help poor people. We have a line in clothes and all the money goes to the foundation. When you are a player you are always in the spotlight and maybe it's good to help other people. I can reach a lot of people. I think it's important for everybody to do something for the world. Maybe I will bring the clothes to England – that is something we need to talk about.

Do you feel under pressure because of the size of the club and the amount of money Liverpool paid for you?

No. When you are a professional player for whatever team there is always pressure. There was pressure at Feyenoord. Now I'm at Liverpool it is the case that we have to win every game. This is normal and also part of the fun of the game.

Which players did you know about before you arrived?

I knew all the players because the Premiership is very popular in Holland. I liked watching Liverpool and can remember the Champions League final. It was incredible. We were with the national team and we saw the game. It was one of the greatest games I've ever seen. Sometimes you can come back from 3-0 at half time. But when you are 3-0 down to AC Milan, one of the best teams in Europe, and you win - I still can't believe it.

Which players are the most vocal in the dressing room before a match?

All the players have the most respect for Stevie, Carra and Robbie because they mean a lot to Liverpool. They are great players and great people. Everybody tries to help each other before the game but Carra and Stevie are very important.

What did Rafa say to you before he brought you on to make your debut against West Ham?

He said just go and do your thing – nothing more, nothing less. I just tried to do what I did for Feyenoord. It was a big moment for me. I couldn't wait for this game. All my family were there in the stadium so it was a special moment for all of us.

And how did it feel to score your first goal against Newcastle?

It was a great feeling. When you make a goal you get a special feeling and you can't wait to score more. It's great to score at Anfield.

After scoring a goal you kiss your hand twice. Why?

I always did it in Holland. I kiss the place where I would wear my ring - once for my wife and once for my daughter.

Is it right Arjen Robben and Ruud van Nistelrooy convinced you to join Liverpool?

I spoke to a lot of players from the national team who played in England. I spoke to Ruud and Robben but also van der Saar and van Persie. They told me the Premier League would be great for me. They told me Liverpool was a very nice club.

Has the Premiership been what you expected?

I like to play every game against top players. In Holland you play against good opponents when you play Ajax or PSV, but here it is like this every game. You have to keep going for 90 minutes against all the teams to get a win. In Holland it can be a bit easier.

People here are already comparing you to the likes of Mark Hughes and Kevin Keegan. How do you feel about that?

I know the names but I didn't see them play a lot. I think they were very important players in England so it's great that people are comparing me to them. I just try to work, do my best for the team and to make goals. I've not come to Liverpool for myself – I've come to be part of a team.

So which players did you look up to growing up in Holland?

Marco van Basten, Ruud Gullit and Frank Rijkaard were real heroes to me when they were at AC Milan. I would watch the goals of van Basten every weekend.

When Rafa signed you he told Liverpool supporters that you would bring assists as well as goals. How does creating a goal compare with scoring one?

A goal gives you a great feeling but it's important to pass the ball if someone is in a better position. This also gives you a good feeling. But for me the most important thing is to win.

Do you have to adapt your game depending on whether you are playing with Craig, Peter or Robbie?

Every player is different but I know now how they all play because we train a lot with each other and you get to know each player's good things. I think I showed with Bellamy that we're doing well, but also with Peter against Galatasaray. It really doesn't matter to me. We need everybody in the squad if we are going to win trophies.

Is it right that your career may well have taken a very different path?

I come from a fishing village. My father was a fisherman and so were my brothers-in-law. I was in my mind a fisherman but football was the thing I most liked. When I was 10-years-old my father said I must make the decision. He said I must do the thing I liked the most, and that if I was a fisherman I couldn't play football. I think I would have been a good fisherman but I think I made a good choice!

Some fans may not know that your dad is battling cancer back home in Holland. How is he and has he seen you play for Liverpool yet?

He had cancer between the throat and the stomach. He had a big operation three weeks ago but he's doing very well now. The doctors tell us the cancer is out of his body but we still have to pray everything will be all right. He is coming over to England on Thursday and will come to Anfield for the first time on Saturday. That will be a special moment for us because before the operation we didn't know if he'd ever be able to watch me. My dad is really an inspiration for me. Three days before he had his big operation I was in Holland for the nomination of the best player of the year, and he presented the award to me. I told him afterwards that it really meant a lot to me that he did that.

Finally Dirk, what are your ambitions at Liverpool?

Just to win trophies. I want to play here for many years. I've been here only two months but I like it here already.
                  --------------------------

He seems such a genuine nice person. I hope his dad gets to see him score on saturday. Always seems to say the right things and seems to have a genuine liking for the club and the city.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:56 pm

what a top bloke.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:57 pm

Yeah he does come across as a top guy.  Looks an energetic player as well.  Always looking for a goal or to shoot on sight.  I like that in strikers, someone selfish who isn't afraid to have a shot.  It's the only way you'll score after all.

Unless you're Cisse, he shoots on sight but usually aims for the fucking goalie, not the goal.

He should tell himself where the cut off point is in the word goalie.  Anyway, he doesn't play for us anymore......
jonnymac1979

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:00 pm

s@int wrote:After scoring a goal you kiss your hand twice. Why?

I always did it in Holland. I kiss the place where I would wear my ring - once for my wife and once for my daughter.

how awesome is that
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:16 pm

nice positive read for a change- cheers saint. Kuyt comes accross very level headed. what a lift it will give him to see his awld fella in the stands...best of wishes.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Leonidas08 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:38 pm

I cant wait for him to shine as a liverpool striker :)
Leonidas08

Postby redmikey » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:44 pm

down to earth sums it up for me!

not all me, me, me .  top lad dirk ( sorry for saying he would be a white heskey :(  )
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby jkop » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:52 pm

Yup down to earth guy, really hope he does well for Liverpool. :bowdown
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion