Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue May 06, 2014 9:05 am

"We win as a team, we lose as a team" If that is true then its both the manager's and the players' fault we drew last night and may miss out on the title.
I have been Brendans biggest fan and have said there are comparisons to Shankly and I stand by that. He has brought the smiles back on the faces of the supporters and given us a roller coaster ride of a season with the style of play that has been enjoyed by neutrals all over the world. We have scored nearly 100 goals and are top of the league with one game to go. Suarez has won the two most prestigious awards in this country and has just equalled Shearers goals tally for a season. And dont forget he missed the beginning of the season through being banned. It has been unbelievable what has happened and if I'd have told you that we would be in this position at the start of the season, you would have had me sectioned.
However, the down side is that we have conceded nearly 50 goals and have shot ourselves in the foot once too often. I always maintain that Skrtel and Agger are a better pairing than Skrtel and Sakho, and once again they crumbled under pressure. It was like a car crash in slow motion that you knew was coming but couldnt prevent. Johnson is woeful and Flanagan is still not the finished article. Mignolet pulls off some amazing saves but is vulnerable and doesnt command his box.
We are in a false position considering the players we have at our disposal: Lucas, Aspas, Alberto, Cissokho etc but our scoring has got us where we are, and our defence, or lack of it, will inevitably be the factor which determines our success or failure.
:(
Thommo's perm

Postby Santa » Tue May 06, 2014 9:35 am

lakes10 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:48 am wrote:
Santa » Tue May 06, 2014 2:40 am wrote:I dunno if anyone agrees or feels the same...but I can sense the ego of Rodgers could work against him. He seems to keep wanting to proof a point with his style of cavalier football, and his stubbornness in keeping to one playing style did cost eventually us...not that I'm not appreciating what he have done but this is just how I felt for awhile now.

no I don't feel that. its just been a case that our defence has been poor all year and the way to cover that is to get more goals than we let in, the sad thing is I don't think next year the other teams will get the bad results they got this year. it could be a long time before we get this close again.

Yes no doubt about it the back 4 has been poor all season. We played both Johnson & Flanno so high up yesterday to search for goals but Didi was spot on to say that once we didn't manage to get the 4th goal after about 70th mins, we should think of shutting up shop and closing out the game and put the pressure back to City. Our inexperience and lack of leadership (both on the field and on the touchline) was clear to see and while it has been coming for a while now, we got royally punished today.

But even if we do get better defenders, if the set up of the team is to keep pushing forward at this kamikaze pace, we will get punished again and again. That's why I said Brendan need to stop being stubborn and learn to win in a smarter way and knows when to close out games because we know our forwards will do their jobs more often than not -- hence we will convert more wins from all the draws we got this season.

I can see ManU, Arsenal and Chelsea to invest heavily this summer and teams will now know of our achilles heel so they lesser team will smart up and play the Jose way, so  yeah I can see it will be harder for us next season if we continue with the same.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Tue May 06, 2014 9:44 am

lakes10 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:50 am wrote:... at 1-3 he made a defence change but our defence was *****.

defence change...what was that? bring in the dud Moses (who is not a defensive player)? after our two quick fire goals we couldn't continue to add more goals, a wiser head will tell us to shut up shop and cash in our winnings for the day by bringing on Agger instead of Moses. Bringing Coutinho for Sterling is a like for like designed to attack and we concede three quick goals right after that, so no we didn't make any defensive change. Even their second goal was due to us heavily committed to get a goal (we had 7 players in their box when they counter and get their second) at the other end. Naive naive Rodgers, I'm sorry to say that. I believe after the end of the season and having time to reflect, he will learn a lot from these past two weeks and becoming a better manager and tactician. I'm pretty numb right now but I'm looking to next season with a lot of optimism...c'mon guys, We Go Again!

Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Tue May 06, 2014 10:01 am

Not long ago I read in an spanish newspaper how a football critic dismissed Ancelotti as a good manager for Real Madrid.
His argument was basically that, "You can't trust in a manager who lost a final winning 3-0 at the half time with a rival completely sank" (Milan - Liverpool CL Final, Istanbul).

Well, this weekend, Real Madrid probably lost the title drawing at home against Valencia. Everybody agreed that the manager just ***** it up making rotations in a crucial moment of the season.

My question is: Do you trust in a manager that drew a crucial game winning 0-3 at the 55 minute? Isn't it a sign of clear incompetence?
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Tue May 06, 2014 10:05 am

Alex G. » Tue May 06, 2014 9:01 am wrote:Not long ago I read in an spanish newspaper how a football critic dismissed Ancelotti as a good manager for Real Madrid.
His argument was basically that, "You can't trust in a manager who lost a final winning 3-0 at the half time with a rival completely sank" (Milan - Liverpool CL Final, Istanbul).

Well, this weekend, Real Madrid probably lost the title drawing at home against Valencia. Everybody agreed that the manager just ***** it up making rotations in a crucial moment of the season.

My question is: Do you trust in a manager that drew a crucial game winning 0-3 at the 55 minute? Isn't it a sign of clear incompetence?

Yes i do ,on the other hand fans which have an attention and patience span of a rabbit on MDMA....
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:13 am

Santa » Tue May 06, 2014 9:44 am wrote:
lakes10 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:50 am wrote:... at 1-3 he made a defence change but our defence was *****.

defence change...what was that? bring in the dud Moses (who is not a defensive player)? after our two quick fire goals we couldn't continue to add more goals, a wiser head will tell us to shut up shop and cash in our winnings for the day by bringing on Agger instead of Moses. Bringing Coutinho for Sterling is a like for like designed to attack and we concede three quick goals right after that, so no we didn't make any defensive change. Even their second goal was due to us heavily committed to get a goal (we had 7 players in their box when they counter and get their second) at the other end. Naive naive Rodgers, I'm sorry to say that. I believe after the end of the season and having time to reflect, he will learn a lot from these past two weeks and becoming a better manager and tactician. I'm pretty numb right now but I'm looking to next season with a lot of optimism...c'mon guys, We Go Again!

lets not forget
2012/13 Liverpool 38 14 10 14 47 40 +7 52…8th
2013/14 Liverpool 37 25 6 6 99 49 +50 81 1st
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mramo » Tue May 06, 2014 12:02 pm

As I have said - Rodgers will learn from this.

We all remember Fergie and his 1991/92 team (lost 3 in a row [1 point in 12] after the Liverpool game); and Dalglish of 1993/94 (won 4 points out of 12 before losing to Coventry City)? All stumbled at the last hurdles but with previous experiences overturned their misery the following season with a title win.

We will surely finish above Chelsea (pending a win this Sunday). We have played with limited resources which is a credit to Rodger's squad selection which has included several injuries here and there, however upon the need to change the game he unfortunately did not not have his strongest reserve players at his disposal. Rodgers will welcome the transfer funds to replace the dead wood laying on the bench (ie Moses, Cissokho, Assaidi, Kelly & Aspas).
mramo

Postby Santa » Tue May 06, 2014 12:29 pm

lakes10 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:13 am wrote:
Santa » Tue May 06, 2014 9:44 am wrote:

lets not forget
2013/14 Liverpool 37 25 6 6 99 49 +50 81 1st

Not sure what you mean...if you are referring to the progress that we made since 12 months ago, yes it has been a freakin' unbelievable job by Rodgers and the team

...but at the same time the table comparison will tell us that if we are to have serious aspiration to win the league, then the current defensive crew & tactics are not going to cut it

And if you were to tell me back in August that with one game of the season to go, we are going to be leading and sit at the top of the league table, I would have bashed you head in and pleaded self defence from stupidity. It is that good...  :D 

:bowdown

Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Tue May 06, 2014 12:42 pm

mramo » Tue May 06, 2014 11:02 am wrote:As I have said - Rodgers will learn from this.

We all remember Fergie and his 1991/92 team (lost 3 in a row [1 point in 12] after the Liverpool game); and Dalglish of 1993/94 (won 4 points out of 12 before losing to Coventry City)? All stumbled at the last hurdles but with previous experiences overturned their misery the following season with a title win.

We will surely finish above Chelsea (pending a win this Sunday). We have played with limited resources which is a credit to Rodger's squad selection which has included several injuries here and there, however upon the need to change the game he unfortunately did not not have his strongest reserve players at his disposal. Rodgers will welcome the transfer funds to replace the dead wood laying on the bench (ie Moses, Cissokho, Assaidi, Kelly & Aspas).

I'm not sure if Liverpool will have another chance as clear as this season to win the league.
Next year United will be back on track, and probably Chelsea too, spending massive money.

This year was a golden chance, sadly the train passed too many times and we never took it in the las 25 years. f*ck me.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby Santa » Tue May 06, 2014 12:58 pm

Alex G. » Tue May 06, 2014 11:42 am wrote:
mramo » Tue May 06, 2014 11:02 am wrote:As I have said - Rodgers will learn from this.

I'm not sure if Liverpool will have another chance as clear as this season to win the league.
Next year United will be back on track, and probably Chelsea too, spending massive money.

This year was a golden chance, sadly the train passed too many times and we never took it in the las 25 years. f*ck me.

Yes f*ck you indeed...I bet last August you were saying that United had essentially a championship winning team, Spurs spent £108M well, Chelsea had Mourinho back and City will always spend big and those will be too good for us and look where we are? You're assuming we will not improve or that the other team will already be good for us even before this season ends? well, ok then...  :no

Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:08 pm

defence change...what was that? bring in the dud Moses (who is not a defensive player)? after our two quick fire goals we couldn't continue to add more goals, a wiser head will tell us to shut up shop and cash in our winnings for the day by bringing on Agger instead of Moses. Bringing Coutinho for Sterling is a like for like designed to attack and we concede three quick goals right after that, so no we didn't make any defensive change. Even their second goal was due to us heavily committed to get a goal (we had 7 players in their box when they counter and get their second) at the other end. Naive naive Rodgers, I'm sorry to say that. I believe after the end of the season and having time to reflect, he will learn a lot from these past two weeks and becoming a better manager and tactician. I'm pretty numb right now but I'm looking to next season with a lot of optimism...c'mon guys, We Go Again![/quote]

lets not forget
2013/14 Liverpool 37 25 6 6 99 49 +50 81 1st[/quote]

Not sure what you mean...if you are referring to the progress that we made since 12 months ago, yes it has been a freakin' unbelievable job by Rodgers and the team

...but at the same time the table comparison will tell us that if we are to have serious aspiration to win the league, then the current defensive crew & tactics are not going to cut it

And if you were to tell me back in August that with one game of the season to go, we are going to be leading and sit at the top of the league table, I would have bashed you head in and pleaded self defence from stupidity. It is that good...  :D 

:bowdown[/quote]

:D  :D
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue May 06, 2014 2:14 pm

Alex G. » Tue May 06, 2014 11:42 am wrote:

In which case you totally underestimate Rodger's ability. He already has got this season's out of a squad that should have been just about challenging for fourth.

With the CL money coming in, we supposedly have circa £60M to spend, plus any extra funds derived from sales. We will strengthen and we wil challenge again, that I am 100% sure.

Also you should really start paying attention to the FFPR. City is starting to feel the pressure of breaking even. Chelsea are one of the sides who's wage bill has dropped 25% in 12 months. Whilst Man Utd and Chelsea will undoubtedly spend, it's a tough line to walk. They'll have to get very inventive with sponsorships and the like to balance the books if they spend heavily.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sgs » Tue May 06, 2014 2:26 pm

The management of this game by Rogers borders on 'criminal' negligence...And there's nothing he has said so far that even begins to make sense!
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby devaney » Tue May 06, 2014 3:15 pm

If anybody had told me last August that I was going to be disappointed about coming a possible second and getting back into the CL I'd have thought that they had been at the whisky bottle. My disappointment is an indication of just how far we have come since BR arrived.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 06, 2014 3:48 pm

Brendan Rodgers is the best thing that's happened to this club in donkey's years. He's got far more out of this squad of players than anyone else could have and not by negative means either, we are the team that the neutrals love to watch.
We've been running out of steam since the Swansea game and in the end we've just come up a bit short against a club that has spent a billion quid over the last 5 and a half years.
we went down but we went down swinging, those players have given everything they had and they went out on their shields, can't ask for no more than that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion