Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby leeroy74 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:22 pm

congrats to BR! and we're lucky to have him manage us. I reckon a few teams had their eyes on him for this summer. He's a red though, he gets us and he gets what this club is all about.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed May 07, 2014 3:49 pm

That's the best signing we could have made this summer.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed May 07, 2014 6:33 pm

good news and well deserved  :nod
hopefully he also got more control over our transfers  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Focus » Thu May 08, 2014 4:26 am

Talking about transfers. Reports has it that BR will be handed 60M to spend in the next window. Now, BE HONEST. Are FSG serious about winning the title next term? We need quality reinforcements for left and right back positions, playmaker, left and right wingers, defensive midfielder and another clinical striker. To me, we need at least 7 quality signings and do you think 60M would be enough? NO WAY!!! Don't forget, we'll be fighting on 4 fronts to win the title, CL, FA Cup and League cups. There will be loads of cup games to play and we need 2 first team squads to compete. Do you think 60M is enough? FSG and idiot Ayre need to get their heads checked unless of course their ambition is to finish 2nd to 5th every season. As long as FSG remains as owners, fans will be deluded into thinking the current season they're in will clinch the title only come May, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and manure will finish above us.

Van Gaal said he needs 200M to rebuild manure and I think he will get it. Now this show they have owners who are rich and ambitious enough. Are FSG ever going to fund Brendan with 200M? I think we all know the answer to that. To those of you who are fsg lovers, just think, if Man City have FSG as owners and we have their Sheikh, do you honestly think they can pip us for the title? We have a manager who won't lose out to Pellegrini, Mou, ArseWenger and Van Gaal in terms of management. So what will give you the cutting edge? To me, the answer is the owners and our owners are not up their with their owners. So I predict next season will be another almost made it season. Nevertheless, I hope I'm wrong in case you think I am a rival fan in disguise.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu May 08, 2014 5:09 am

Red Focus » Thu May 08, 2014 3:26 am wrote:Talking about transfers. Reports has it that BR will be handed 60M to spend in the next window. Now, BE HONEST. Are FSG serious about winning the title next term? We need quality reinforcements for left and right back positions, playmaker, left and right wingers, defensive midfielder and another clinical striker. To me, we need at least 7 quality signings and do you think 60M would be enough? NO WAY!!! Don't forget, we'll be fighting on 4 fronts to win the title, CL, FA Cup and League cups. There will be loads of cup games to play and we need 2 first team squads to compete. Do you think 60M is enough? FSG and idiot Ayre need to get their heads checked unless of course their ambition is to finish 2nd to 5th every season. As long as FSG remains as owners, fans will be deluded into thinking the current season they're in will clinch the title only come May, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and manure will finish above us.

Van Gaal said he needs 200M to rebuild manure and I think he will get it. Now this show they have owners who are rich and ambitious enough. Are FSG ever going to fund Brendan with 200M? I think we all know the answer to that. To those of you who are fsg lovers, just think, if Man City have FSG as owners and we have their Sheikh, do you honestly think they can pip us for the title? We have a manager who won't lose out to Pellegrini, Mou, ArseWenger and Van Gaal in terms of management. So what will give you the cutting edge? To me, the answer is the owners and our owners are not up their with their owners. So I predict next season will be another almost made it season. Nevertheless, I hope I'm wrong in case you think I am a rival fan in disguise.

FSG won't fund £200M because it would break us regarding FFPR. Man utd won't either.

Don't bother telling me that FFPR isn't real either. City are about to start a season with a 21 man squad that has to be made up of 6 local players. All due to FFPR incursion.

Do your research on FFPR before nonsense like that is posted again.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Focus » Thu May 08, 2014 6:14 am

SouthCoastShankly » Thu May 08, 2014 5:09 am wrote:
Red Focus » Thu May 08, 2014 3:26 am wrote:Talking about transfers. Reports has it that BR will be handed 60M to spend in the next window. Now, BE HONEST. Are FSG serious about winning the title next term? We need quality reinforcements for left and right back positions, playmaker, left and right wingers, defensive midfielder and another clinical striker. To me, we need at least 7 quality signings and do you think 60M would be enough? NO WAY!!! Don't forget, we'll be fighting on 4 fronts to win the title, CL, FA Cup and League cups. There will be loads of cup games to play and we need 2 first team squads to compete. Do you think 60M is enough? FSG and idiot Ayre need to get their heads checked unless of course their ambition is to finish 2nd to 5th every season. As long as FSG remains as owners, fans will be deluded into thinking the current season they're in will clinch the title only come May, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and manure will finish above us.

FSG won't fund £200M because it would break us regarding FFPR. Man utd won't either.

Don't bother telling me that FFPR isn't real either. City are about to start a season with a 21 man squad that has to be made up of 6 local players. All due to FFPR incursion.

I am not saying FSG should fund BR with 200M, far from it. BTW, they can't afford it even if they want to anyway.

My point is, if the reports of 60M funding for this next window is true, then it's a joke for a side with ambition to win the league next term as we have extra tough European games coming up. 60M pounds are peanuts and a mid table club funding IMO. We need 7 quality additions to stand a chance of winning the league and progress as far as possible and preferably win the CL. With 60 mill, how many quality players can you get? 120Million would be reasonable, but 60M is ridiculous.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu May 08, 2014 8:03 am

SouthCoastShankly » Thu May 08, 2014 5:09 am wrote:FSG won't fund £200M because it would break us regarding FFPR. Man utd won't either.

Just as a slight aside SSC, isn't the 21 man squad for European competition only ? saw something the other day that suggested it was, they were comparing how many players recent winners of the CL had used in the competion, the average was around 22. If the reduction is for CL only then I don't see it as a major penalty for City, more of just a slap on their wrist.

@ Red Focus.

re your
To me, we need at least 7 quality signings

We may need 7 quality signings BUT I'd be wary of getting them all in one window. It takes time for a squad to gel into a team . Two quality signings plus 2 good ones added to what we have would do for me.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby leeroy74 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:05 am

Red Focus » Thu May 08, 2014 5:14 am wrote:
I am not saying FSG should fund BR with 200M, far from it. BTW, they can't afford it even if they want to anyway.

and you followed it up with that pearler? I think a quick check on the turnover/money making of FSG would give you an idea
FSG really can afford £200m but they're not idiots and won't dump it all into us. They're business men and they have full wallets for a reason!
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Thu May 08, 2014 10:02 am

leeroy74 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:05 am wrote:
Red Focus » Thu May 08, 2014 5:14 am wrote:

and you followed it up with that pearler? I think a quick check on the turnover/money making of FSG would give you an idea
FSG really can afford £200m but they're not idiots and won't dump it all into us. They're business men and they have full wallets for a reason!

Thank fk for a sensible post. The season isn't over and the knives are out from the usual suspects. FSG have never claimed to be a registered charity regardless of what some people may think. The suggestion that Ayres is an idiot gives a very strong indication that the accuser is somewhat challenged in that area himself. Ayres was largely responsible for not selling Suarez and that one single achievement is the key to why we have done so well this season.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu May 08, 2014 11:35 am

If we get £60,000,000 to spend, then a little bit more on anything we raise in player sales then for me thats more than enough to sufficiently improve our team. We absolutely must sign the right players and we need to sign ones that will get in and be an improvement. Figures of £8,000,000 for Richards and £15,000,000 for Begovic are being mentioned so that would only lead to £23,000,000 of the bugdet spent and the two positions we're dire in at the moment being massively improved. That leaves us in the region of £37,000,000 to sign a centre half who can organise and lead a defence, as well as a wide forward.

Pedro for me would be a massive signing and its widely believed he's looking to leave Barcelona, they're talking about £25,000,000 maybe upto £35,000,000 for him.

The money we'd need for a decent centre half would then be raised by releasing either Agger or Skrtel. While I believe Agger to be far superior, more of an organiser and a better player generally, we'd miss Skrtel's goal rate and his general fitness. So we need to be looking for someone who can organise and hopefully offers a bit of a threat with pace, a William Gallas type (at his best) would be absolutely ideal. Unfortunately, I don't know a centre half of that quality in europe these days, truely class centre halves are becoming a bit like rocking horse sh*t.

I think the addition of Pedro, moving Danny Sturridge down in the pecking order, with Richards and Begovic brought in would improve us massively without really having to change anything and I don't think we'd lose much in terms of goal threat or creative play. I also believe that with keeping the system as is, we'd still score plenty but we'd concede less straight away and start to have a chance of keeping clean sheets against the good sides.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby leeroy74 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:53 am

thats a good post Stu...  agree with all that.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Thu May 08, 2014 11:57 am

Are we even interested in Begovic to begin with?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Thu May 08, 2014 1:04 pm

metalhead » Thu May 08, 2014 11:57 am wrote:Are we even interested in Begovic to begin with?

Not sure, but we should be. He's a world class keeper and for me the best in the country. He's easily in the top seven or eight in europe maybe higher.

I'd put him right up their with Neuer, Casillas, Reina, Buffon, Cech and Hart and absolutely miles ahead of our current keeper. I do believe we could convince him to join and I also believe we could possibly send Mignolet the other way as a make weight.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby lakes10 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:48 pm

Stu the Red » Thu May 08, 2014 1:04 pm wrote:
metalhead » Thu May 08, 2014 11:57 am wrote:Are we even interested in Begovic to begin with?

Not sure, but we should be. He's a world class keeper and for me the best in the country. He's easily in the top seven or eight in europe maybe higher.

I'd put him right up their with Neuer, Casillas, Reina, Buffon, Cech and Hart and absolutely miles ahead of our current keeper. I do believe we could convince him to join and I also believe we could possibly send Mignolet the other way as a make weight.

Sky sports stats say that Mignolet was to blame for 8 goals this season and cost us 3 points. not sure who they worked it out but if true then he has had a good year as the rest are all down to the defence.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu May 08, 2014 3:57 pm

I think that is nearer the mark Lakes. Mign has some faults that is for sure but he is one hell of a shot stopper. Just look at the two brilliant saves he made against Palace. Who knows if it hadn't been for him we may have ended up with no points from that game. My lad and Stu are both trying to convince me that he is poor. As yet I do not believe that to be the case. There needs to be better communication and he needs better defenders in front of him.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext