Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu the Red » Mon May 05, 2014 10:57 pm

damjan193 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:38 pm wrote:Moral of the season: defending IS part of the game.

According to "Southcoastshankley" its laughable to suggest our defence has cost us this season.

Skrtel's world class and we're immense at the back, Mignolet is also a world beater.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon May 05, 2014 11:01 pm

aCe' » Mon May 05, 2014 10:36 pm wrote:Steep learning curve for Rodgers and I'm sure he knows it. His enthusiasm and drive got us to being top of the league with 3 games to go and his naivety and lack of experience probably lost us the title. Overall though, he's had a brilliant season and he'll be applauded by all for his efforts. I have no doubt that he'll learn from that mistake against Chelsea and from repeating it against Palace.

i agree with this.
for me though he has also got serious work to do in the market securing better players or at least ones who improve the system and tactics he persists with. we cant sign another 5 players and end up getting 2 average ones out of it.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Mon May 05, 2014 11:03 pm

The defence did cost us the league, whether we like it or not.

you can't expect to win the league when your team has conceded more goals than Crystal Palace this season.

Let's hope we improve defensively in the summer and we go again
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 05, 2014 11:19 pm

It's too easy to just blame the defence, our midfield hasn't given them much protection
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Mon May 05, 2014 11:21 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 05, 2014 10:19 pm wrote:It's too easy to just blame the defence, our midfield hasn't given them much protection

Agree. Defensive MF never offered the already shaky back four either coverage from incoming or even moving the ball forward.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue May 06, 2014 12:22 am

When we look back at the season we will see a pattern
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue May 06, 2014 12:36 am

Moses for Sturridge  :bump we were clearly struggling yet we didnt bring someone on to help shore it up? awful awful decision. I didnt blame him for the Chelsea defeat, i felt we were unlucky to come away with nothing but the last 20 mins today were shocking.
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Tue May 06, 2014 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sgs » Tue May 06, 2014 1:07 am

metalhead » Mon May 05, 2014 10:03 pm wrote:The defence did cost us the league, whether we like it or not.

you can't expect to win the league when your team has conceded more goals than Crystal Palace this season.

Let's hope we improve defensively in the summer and we go again

The manger did great to bring us to this point, but he cost us the league...

According to him 'we got carried away'....

Comon!!!
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby Santa » Tue May 06, 2014 1:17 am

"Just putting 10 players right on your 18 yard box is not difficult to coach" ...yeah, but it might sometime be the smarter strategy to win you the league this season Brendan.

In fact his unwillingness to consider a tad more conservative Plan B may be what lost us the title this year. Please continue with your brand of beautiful football but stop being stubborn and adapt. After all this is a winning business, not just an entertainment business!
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby friendlyguy33 » Tue May 06, 2014 1:25 am

Barring some unlikely miracles between now and sunday afternoon history will probably show that Rafa was closer to the title in 08/09.

I suspect that if Brendan is allowed to bring in at least two £20 million players this summer and the same defensive and concentration problems occur in next season's title race with a similar conclusion FSG may well drop the axe.
friendlyguy33

Postby The Good Yank » Tue May 06, 2014 2:33 am

I love Rodgers.  It's unreal the turnaround he's had our club done in such a short amount of time.

But.. Today.  Going up 3-0, with 3 points being crucial, and deciding to keep it pouring forward and try to make a dent in a -9 (-6 at the time) goal difference was just daft.  Can't believe what I watched.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Santa » Tue May 06, 2014 2:40 am

I dunno if anyone agrees or feels the same...but I can sense the ego of Rodgers could work against him. He seems to keep wanting to proof a point with his style of cavalier football, and his stubbornness in keeping to one playing style did cost eventually us...not that I'm not appreciating what he have done but this is just how I felt for awhile now.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Johnny Boy » Tue May 06, 2014 7:06 am

Lack of squad depth and defensive errors have cost us - the worry for me is I thought with Flanno coming through and Sakho/Ilori brought in that the defence was sorted out last season.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:48 am

Santa » Tue May 06, 2014 2:40 am wrote:I dunno if anyone agrees or feels the same...but I can sense the ego of Rodgers could work against him. He seems to keep wanting to proof a point with his style of cavalier football, and his stubbornness in keeping to one playing style did cost eventually us...not that I'm not appreciating what he have done but this is just how I felt for awhile now.

no I don't feel that. its just been a case that our defence has been poor all year and the way to cover that is to get more goals than we let in, the sad thing is I don't think next year the other teams will get the bad results they got this year. it could be a long time before we get this close again.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:50 am

The Good Yank » Tue May 06, 2014 2:33 am wrote:I love Rodgers.  It's unreal the turnaround he's had our club done in such a short amount of time.

But.. Today.  Going up 3-0, with 3 points being crucial, and deciding to keep it pouring forward and try to make a dent in a -9 (-6 at the time) goal difference was just daft.  Can't believe what I watched.

to be fair to him we was all over them at 0-3 we got caught out , at 1-3 he made a defence change but our defence was *****.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion