Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue May 06, 2014 4:20 pm

We need to bring in another coach who can sort out our garbage defense. Sami Hyypia perhaps?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Santa » Tue May 06, 2014 4:31 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Tue May 06, 2014 3:20 pm wrote:We need to bring in another coach who can sort out our garbage defense. Sami Hyypia perhaps?

Big Sami is who I have in mind as well  :nod
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:16 pm

Saw on SSN at 0-3 Rodgers was telling the team to fall back and defend, good clip of it. should be on again later, I did not see this shot during the game but he was not very happy that we was still so open at the back an was letting rip at Liverpool for not holding back.

due to this I think the players must take a lot of the blame.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue May 06, 2014 5:26 pm

An overhaul of the defense is needed and we need a strong leader at the back. Another Carra or Sami.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue May 06, 2014 6:53 pm

lakes10 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:16 pm wrote:Saw on SSN at 0-3 Rodgers was telling the team to fall back and defend, good clip of it. should be on again later, I did not see this shot during the game but he was not very happy that we was still so open at the back an was letting rip at Liverpool for not holding back.

thats balls lakes, just because he made a gesture at some point in the game to someone to get back quicker doesnt absolve him of anything. if he was so worried about our defending then he would have changed it. he didnt seem concerned about it when the score was 3.2 and he brought on moses did he ?
we started the same as we finished and that was gung ho, he should have shut up shop after their first went in and our players began to show fatigue but he didnt because thats not how he plays.
he's had a great season by all accounts but in this game he got it wrong allowing them to haul back a 3 goal lead.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Tue May 06, 2014 7:00 pm

Well we've got a a manager who has figured out how to do the toughest thing in this league and that's scoring goals. I think most of us need some therapy after last night and its easy to vent and regret this and that, I've certainly done my share of it today. BUT it's been a hell of a season and we still go into our final game with a chance to be champions. If City win both of their remaining games then last nights crazy capitulation will be a little less painful because in truth, most of us realise that it was the Chelsea game that has really done us. We've got some fantastic young players and so long as we can keep the best player on the planet and add some genuine quality to the squad I am confident we will be up there or thereabouts next season.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:35 pm

red till i die!! » Tue May 06, 2014 6:53 pm wrote:
lakes10 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:16 pm wrote:Saw on SSN at 0-3 Rodgers was telling the team to fall back and defend, good clip of it. should be on again later, I did not see this shot during the game but he was not very happy that we was still so open at the back an was letting rip at Liverpool for not holding back.

thats balls lakes, just because he made a gesture at some point in the game to someone to get back quicker doesnt absolve him of anything. if he was so worried about our defending then he would have changed it. he didnt seem concerned about it when the score was 3.2 and he brought on moses did he ?
we started the same as we finished and that was gung ho, he should have shut up shop after their first went in and our players began to show fatigue but he didnt because thats not how he plays.
he's had a great season by all accounts but in this game he got it wrong allowing them to haul back a 3 goal lead.

yes better sack him then!!!
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue May 06, 2014 7:44 pm

who said anything about sacking him?
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:02 pm

3 things that Rodgers learned from the last 2 games:

1. Sometimes, even if it's against your philosophy, you need to play for the result, the performance doesn't matter (learned against Chelsea. This lesson will be essential for the CL).
2. When you have the right result you need to start thinking about your own goal rather than the opponent's (learned yesterday).
3. Henderson is a key player and we need someone else like him if we want our midfield to function.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:03 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Tue May 06, 2014 4:20 pm wrote:We need to bring in another coach who can sort out our garbage defense. Sami Hyypia perhaps?

Wouldn't mind Steve Clarke either.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Redman in wales » Tue May 06, 2014 8:18 pm

He might be rose tinted but Paul Tomkins has some good points:

"Maybe a different manager would have overseen victories in last two games. But Rodgers oversaw 11 straight wins to put Reds top."

Oh and bits from his article:

Well, that was heartbreaking, head-wrecking, soul-destroying.

In the aftermath of a late three-goal collapse, the Reds’ weaknesses were brutally exposed. But it’s easy to suggest that doing things differently was the right answer, because it’s always the right answer when things go wrong.

Against Chelsea, Liverpool should have apparently played them at their own game. Late on at Selhurst Park, at 3-0, the Reds should have shut up shop (even though every single fan I saw on Twitter was talking of goal difference, and going for the jugular.) At 3-1 I saw little talk of defending, just getting a fourth to kill the game.

And did you really want Liverpool to sit back and try and defend the game out at 3-2? Do that and you invite pressure. And if you concede when you are inviting pressure, the wisdom, in hindsight, is that you should have attacked, as it’s the best form of defence. As it was, Liverpool’s defence backed away too much, as seen at Norwich, but it’s a natural reaction in times of stress.

Liverpool have got to where they are by playing the way they have played. If they played a different way it might be better; but given that no-one predicted in August that Liverpool would be top with five days of the season left (even though City should now win the title), there’s a good chance that playing a different way would have led to a worse season, not a better one. This is not a team set up to defend leads, and nor is it a team full of the experience of these kinds of pressures. It is what it is, not what it is not
None of this is to say that Liverpool should be letting a 3-0 lead slip. But some crazy Sh*t happens in football, as seen in Istanbul, and those Milan players had won everything. Pressure does funny things to players, and the pressure got to Liverpool once they – like most onlookers – thought the game was won and it was about goal difference. It was easy, until Palace scored, and then the doubts set in; as they did with Milan.

It’s been a far better season than any of us dare wish for, and no single fan would have said ‘No’ to being in this position after 37 games, if offered it in August

And yes, this may have been the Reds’ best chance of the title, given the way events unfolded, but the side was never fully equipped at this stage. Look at the midfielders and strikers that Manchester City have in reserve – as part of the costliest wage bill in sport – and you see why they could always cope with injuries or off-form players better than Liverpool.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue May 06, 2014 9:12 pm

lakes10 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:13 am wrote:
Santa » Tue May 06, 2014 9:44 am wrote:
lakes10 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:50 am wrote:... at 1-3 he made a defence change but our defence was *****.

defence change...what was that? bring in the dud Moses (who is not a defensive player)? after our two quick fire goals we couldn't continue to add more goals, a wiser head will tell us to shut up shop and cash in our winnings for the day by bringing on Agger instead of Moses. Bringing Coutinho for Sterling is a like for like designed to attack and we concede three quick goals right after that, so no we didn't make any defensive change. Even their second goal was due to us heavily committed to get a goal (we had 7 players in their box when they counter and get their second) at the other end. Naive naive Rodgers, I'm sorry to say that. I believe after the end of the season and having time to reflect, he will learn a lot from these past two weeks and becoming a better manager and tactician. I'm pretty numb right now but I'm looking to next season with a lot of optimism...c'mon guys, We Go Again!

lets not forget
2012/13 Liverpool 38 14 10 14 47 40 +7 52…8th
2013/14 Liverpool 37 25 6 6 99 49 +50 81 1st

Staggering improvement. Wish I could enjoy it more than I am.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed May 07, 2014 6:49 am

Been given a 4 year contract :)
maypaxvobiscum

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed May 07, 2014 1:26 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Wed May 07, 2014 5:49 am wrote:Been given a 4 year contract :)

And rightly so. Best manager in the league at the moment.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Wed May 07, 2014 2:03 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Wed May 07, 2014 5:49 am wrote:Been given a 4 year contract :)

Great News! Best Manager in the League
only me
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion