Stoke City vs LIVERPOOL - Sunday 12 Jan 2014 - 16.10ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:30 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:24 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:21 pm wrote:Apart from Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling, most of the players had a pretty shaky performance, very much like against Hull, but a partnership that I never want to see again is Toure and Skrtel in defense. There were worse players today than those two, but that's a combination that will never work.

It's not their fault, I blame Johnson and Cissokho...they were the shining ***** in the sewer pipe today, leaving Toure and SKrtel to pick up the pieces.

I agree. Like I said, there were worse players today (Johnson and Cissokho in particular) but trust me, that combination will never work.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:31 pm

That wasn't pretty but we had to win that game, especially after being two goals up, to lose that would have been devastating for our morale.
So hats off to the lads for pulling that result out of the fire, at a ground we haven't won at in a decade as we'll.
Our strike force is absolutely superb, they've bailed us out once again but our midfield and fullbacks were very, very average. Imo We need to forget about signing Salah and concentrate on strengthening our defence, we need at least one quality fullback and a DM. With the likes of Suarez, Sturridge, coutinho and sterling vying for just 3 places in the starting XI (and let's face it Luis Is undroppable) I don't think strengthening our forward line is a priority ATM, especially when everywhere else looks like a shambles.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:33 pm

damjan193 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:30 pm wrote:
7_Kewell » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:24 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:21 pm wrote:Apart from Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling, most of the players had a pretty shaky performance, very much like against Hull, but a partnership that I never want to see again is Toure and Skrtel in defense. There were worse players today than those two, but that's a combination that will never work.

It's not their fault, I blame Johnson and Cissokho...they were the shining ***** in the sewer pipe today, leaving Toure and SKrtel to pick up the pieces.

I agree. Like I said, there were worse players today (Johnson and Cissokho in particular) but trust me, that combination will never work.

I agree, but in times of need they will do. Lets not forget that 3 of our first team defenders are injured at present, plus Flanno.

According to Physioroom.com, Flanagan is back on 25th Jan  and Enrique is back on the 28th...I think that'll improve our defence no end.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kartiek » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:41 pm

We really need to do something about our fullback situation in this window.

I've criticized Johnson A LOT in the past for not being good enough for Liverpool, but his form right now is atrocious - he is certainly better than what he is showing us right now. He needs to get his act together, for our sake and his own.
kartiek

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:45 pm

I actually thought Cissokho played better than Johnson today. The latter was very half-hearted in his play.

I'm not quite sure if I understood the midfield though. Was Gerrard playing deeper with Lucas given the license to roam in the first half?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:02 pm

Just watched the Sturridge goal again, What fantastic composure he had to get that. Brilliant from the lad after being out so long. Nice to have him back.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:05 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:45 pm wrote:I actually thought Cissokho played better than Johnson today. The latter was very half-hearted in his play.

I'm not quite sure if I understood the midfield though. Was Gerrard playing deeper with Lucas given the license to roam in the first half?

Actually saw Lucas inside the Stoke penalty area at one point   :wwww  . Yeah, Gerrard was the holding midfielder, looks like that's the position that's planned for him for the future, don't have a problem with that but although his range of passing is top shelf he's gotta be more economical with his "Hollywood" passing, too many times today his long passes were anticipated and intercepted by the opposition.

I've always been a fan of Johnson but I'm gradually agreeing with the those that are questioning his contribution to the team. Today he was dreadful showing virtually no appetite for the game.

As for Cissokho ? He's still sh'ite.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby devaney » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:28 pm

Woof - it was obvious he played for the deflection - brilliant goal - give poor old Aly a bit of credit  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:10 pm

Ugly game. Don't know if we deserved to win, but didn't deserve to lose either. Nobody looked too sharp, but I will say Sturridge looked really good when he came on, I was really surprised. That was never a pen in a million years for me, but we sure haven't had the pen calls go our way this year, I'm just glad we won by 2 so we don't have to keep hearing about it.

Hate playing these away so it's a big win. Just hope we can pull are Sh*t together for the next game.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby The Good Yank » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:14 pm

Granted that game was a bit ugly, but it was entertaining as hell.  3 points is 3 points.  Would love to have watched that game as a neutral. 

Our defending was shocking at times.  Gonna give credit to a couple of spots that may seem a bit odd.

Aside from our usual suspects, I think Cissokho played much better today.  The lad has had a nightmare of a season so far
but I thought it looked like he's settling into the side and the league.  People always talk about giving players time to  "settle in"
maybe it's happening. 

Our midfield was appalling.  Inverting Lucas and Gerrard is something that should happen on the training pitch.  Not during a League game.

Gotta give credit where it is due though and that's to Mark Hughes.  He's turned a Rugby team into an actual Football team. 

When a kid you have coached gets signed by a club you will obviously have an interest as to how they play.
Hoping Juan Agudelo does good things at Stoke upon his move from the MLS.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:36 pm

outscoring your opponents is what its all about and today we were fortunate to be able to do that.
some scary defending at times and another poor goal conceeded from mingy. congratulations to glen johnson who again managed to be the worst player on the pitch, he needs to sort himself out pronto or ship out.
i shudder to think of what we would be like without our front men, again they produced and allowed us to walk away with all 3 points  :nod suarez was fantastic and when sturridge came on they lit the place up.
nice to finally get a win there after all this time as ugly as it was  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:11 pm

Bizarre day really playing pretty poorly yet knocking 5 in at Stoke which is no mean achievement even with the rub of the
green.

That Cissokho though, Christ, 3rd choice I now but he is terrible and not even God knows what the deal is with Johnson who again looked
elsewhere rather than concentrating on his job. His contract negotiations should be interesting. Mignolet is having a bad patch with some
erratic keeping, needs to be consistent.

Going forward we are a real handful though and Stoke couldn't deal with it today.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:25 pm

NANNY RED » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:02 pm wrote:Just watched the Sturridge goal again, What fantastic composure he had to get that. Brilliant from the lad after being out so long. Nice to have him back.

Fecking hell, Nan's back  :D

Good to him you around again too  :;):
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:42 pm

It was all very fair and noble by Rodgers to admit that it was a soft penalty in the post-match interview (calling it a "Spanish penalty" :D) but I don't think he should be doing that. He should be more aggressive like Ferguson or Mourinho and put more pressure on refs. He should have at least said that we deserved a bit of luck for a change.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:27 pm

NANNY RED » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:02 pm wrote:Just watched the Sturridge goal again, What fantastic composure he had to get that. Brilliant from the lad after being out so long. Nice to have him back.
so true, such a great player.

Never a bench warmer as some may suggest
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games