Stoke City vs LIVERPOOL - Sunday 12 Jan 2014 - 16.10ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby parchpea » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:27 pm

damjan193 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:42 pm wrote:It was all very fair and noble by Rodgers to admit that it was a soft penalty in the post-match interview (calling it a "Spanish penalty" :D) but I don't think he should be doing that. He should be more aggressive like Ferguson or Mourinho and put more pressure on refs. He should have at least said that we deserved a bit of luck for a change.

I know what you mean and that's the way things have been done in the Premiership era but to me that's a culture Ferguson introduced and I like
that Rodgers goes his own way.

This fella is terrific with the media and he represents the club perfectly in my opinion, honesty and integrity is a blessing not a negative and
f@ck what everyone else does or has come to expect from that whiskey nosed tw@t and the ego at Chelsea.

Rodgers should be applauded for his honest appraisal, but regrettably it wont get any coverage because the sports media thrive on drama.

Maybe he was attempting to get his £8k back from the FA  :D a rare blip for him.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby The Good Yank » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:32 pm

NANNY RED » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:02 pm wrote:Just watched the Sturridge goal again, What fantastic composure he had to get that. Brilliant from the lad after being out so long. Nice to have him back.

Welcome back Nan!!! Bout time we got a dose of estrogen around here.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:52 pm

parchpea » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:27 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:42 pm wrote:It was all very fair and noble by Rodgers to admit that it was a soft penalty in the post-match interview (calling it a "Spanish penalty" :D) but I don't think he should be doing that. He should be more aggressive like Ferguson or Mourinho and put more pressure on refs. He should have at least said that we deserved a bit of luck for a change.

I know what you mean and that's the way things have been done in the Premiership era but to me that's a culture Ferguson introduced and I like

This fella is terrific with the media and he represents the club perfectly in my opinion, honesty and integrity is a blessing not a negative and
f@ck what everyone else does or has come to expect from that whiskey nosed tw@t and the ego at Chelsea.

Rodgers should be applauded for his honest appraisal, but regrettably it wont get any coverage because the sports media thrive on drama.

Maybe he was attempting to get his £8k back from the FA  :D a rare blip for him.

Hey I'm not against fair-play and sportsmanship but only if it goes both ways. Unfortunately we've been terribly treated by both the media and referees and I've never heard any manager who's played against us say that we've been unlucky to lose against his team (even though we have been unlucky a lot of times).

Rodgers was very fair with his comments and what he's doing is respectable, but saying things like that just takes some pressure off the refs for future games so I'm not so sure if that's the smartest thing to do.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:19 am

damjan193 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:52 pm wrote:
parchpea » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:27 pm wrote:

Hey I'm not against fair-play and sportsmanship but only if it goes both ways. Unfortunately we've been terribly treated by both the media and referees and I've never heard any manager who's played against us say that we've been unlucky to lose against his team (even though we have been unlucky a lot of times).

Rodgers was very fair with his comments and what he's doing is respectable, but saying things like that just takes some pressure off the refs for future games so I'm not so sure if that's the smartest thing to do.

I really do take your point and you may well be right and to back up what you are saying the Mancs would have had several decisions go their way had Ferguson been in
charge this season. He put pressure on officials like no other, he was the Godfather of the Prem but it didn't wash in Europe.

Flipside to me is if your honest you may also get the calls as your fair and the officials know that, so its a win win, but then again I may be being very naïve.

4/6 to finish top 4 now, let us pray  :bowdown
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:13 am

Cracking game!

Suarez, Sterling & Sturridge = awesome!
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:08 am

Get in your fcking redmen even in those god awful purple away shirts  :buttrock  :buttrock
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Focus » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:31 am

I am concerned about Skrtel lately. He has a tendency to pull opponents' shirt in our penalty area during set pieces and had the refs saw it, they could have given a penalty. He did it multiple times in so many games this season. Hope he won't repeat them.

Was it a pen? To me, technically it was because Sterling is light weight and he was pushed albeit softly. Many refs would not have given a pen, but in this game, the ref's decision was more favourable to us.
Great to see Danny back and scoring and celebrating with his wavy dance.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby laza » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:38 am

Red Focus » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:31 pm wrote:I am concerned about Skrtel lately. He has a tendency to pull opponents' shirt in our penalty area during set pieces and had the refs saw it, they could have given a penalty. He did it multiple times in so many games this season. Hope he won't repeat them.

Was it a pen? To me, technically it was because Sterling is light weight and he was pushed albeit softly. Many refs would not have given a pen, but in this game, the ref's decision was more favourable to us.
Great to see Danny back and scoring and celebrating with his wavy dance.

Well Skrtel toned down a bit from a  couple of seasons ago it was full  on rugby tackles. TBH I don't how he has gotten away with it for so long because he isn't exactly discreet with type of marking, like you im concerned its going to bite us sooner rather then later
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:00 am

The Good Yank » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:14 pm wrote:Granted that game was a bit ugly, but it was entertaining as hell.  3 points is 3 points.  Would love to have watched that game as a neutral. 

Our defending was shocking at times.  Gonna give credit to a couple of spots that may seem a bit odd.

Aside from our usual suspects, I think Cissokho played much better today.  The lad has had a nightmare of a season so far
but I thought it looked like he's settling into the side and the league.  People always talk about giving players time to  "settle in"
maybe it's happening. 

Our midfield was appalling.  Inverting Lucas and Gerrard is something that should happen on the training pitch.  Not during a League game.

Gotta give credit where it is due though and that's to Mark Hughes.  He's turned a Rugby team into an actual Football team. 

When a kid you have coached gets signed by a club you will obviously have an interest as to how they play.
Hoping Juan Agudelo does good things at Stoke upon his move from the MLS.

Ok Jonno was worse today but Cissokho is absolute shyte, can't defend and can't attack, no one wants to pass to him so you can see how the other players feel about him. Opposition obviously see him as a weak link as nearly all Stoke's attacks were down our left in the 1st half. At one point he tried a step over with no one around and nearly fell over the ball. Ok his shot was deflected in but if Shawcross hadn't got in the way it would have hit the corner flag. Not EPL standard never mind Liverpool standard.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:46 am

Kenny Kan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:13 am wrote:Cracking game!

Suarez, Sterling & Sturridge = awesome!

Saved our Bacon . Without those three I doubt we would have got anything out of the match.

Stoke looked like they might score almost everytime they came at us, particularly worrying from a team that's only averaged one goal per league game. As Didi Hamman pointed out post match we've got to start keeping more clean sheets and not assume we'll  just outscore the opposition in every match.

Offensively we're title contenders, unfortunately defensively we hover around mid table.   :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:32 pm

Defensively a shambles at times. A delight to watch going forward though. I'd have to go back to the Evans era the last time I enjoyed our attacking play so much.

Great result. Everton, Man City and Chelsea all didn't win there this season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:49 pm

Delighted with the win obviously and we must be the most exciting team in the league to watch for neutrals.

But we cant go on like we are defensively.
Both full backs are nowhere near good enough and for me neither is Lucas if we want to move to the next level.
If we replaced him with a top player with a bit of energy and prescence then that for me would make a big difference.
Enrique and Flanagan are both not far from returning. If we dont buy a full back both would walk back into the side for me.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:07 pm

Doesn't help that three of our best back four (Sakho, Agger, Enrique) aren't in the side and Johnson has been woefully out of form. We haven't had a settled back four all season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redno7 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:43 pm

would you buy a new defender this month?
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby Homebooby » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:02 pm

parchpea » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:27 pm wrote:

He's definitely got the media liking us again and looking elsewhere for the mudslinging, which is a welcome break from the last couple of regimes for sure.
Homebooby

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games