LIVERPOOL VS MANCHESTER CITY - News views and predictions

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ethanr » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:25 am

Kenny Kan wrote:We fare better as underdogs: FACT.

Aren't most tho?

You see clubs like Norwich, Swansea, Everton, Stoke (especially Stoke), Sunderland, and Birmingham and Hull when they were up here last season, who continually steal points, or even almost steal points against the top clubs.  They up their game so much because they are pumped.  Then they go randomly lose to each other 3-0 one weekend and lose to a garbage club like Blackburn or Wigan the following.  Many clubs thrive when playing as the underdog.

Probably a mentality thing.. If their manager gets them up for the game telling them how they are gonna surprise everybody by stealing a couple points, then they play to play.  Some clubs seem to come out of the dressing room just playing for the whistle tho, like their manager has told them maybe they'll get lucky and get a draw.  Then they get pummeled.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:46 am

ethanr wrote:
Kenny Kan wrote:We fare better as underdogs: FACT.

Aren't most tho?

You see clubs like Norwich, Swansea, Everton, Stoke (especially Stoke), Sunderland, and Birmingham and Hull when they were up here last season, who continually steal points, or even almost steal points against the top clubs.  They up their game so much because they are pumped.  Then they go randomly lose to each other 3-0 one weekend and lose to a garbage club like Blackburn or Wigan the following.  Many clubs thrive when playing as the underdog.

Probably a mentality thing.. If their manager gets them up for the game telling them how they are gonna surprise everybody by stealing a couple points, then they play to play.  Some clubs seem to come out of the dressing room just playing for the whistle tho, like their manager has told them maybe they'll get lucky and get a draw.  Then they get pummeled.

Down the years though, the likes of Man.U, Ars and Chelsea have all been able to beat the teams they're 'supposed' to beat. Hence the reason they nearly/mostly always finish above us, they are expected to win against the likes of Wigan and Stoke and they do more often than not. When we're 'supposed' to be the BIG team in a fixture, us Vs Wigan for example, we choke and can't put teams to the sword.

However, give us Juve, Barca, R.Madrid, the Mancs, the Chavs et al and we'll give them a run for their money.  :upside:
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby RichardLFC1 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:55 am

Absolutely amazing performance from the lads yesterday. My man of the match Charlie Adam played for the full 90 minutes never stopped once and was literally everywhere.

Saying that Lucas was fantastic aswel. The second half I don't think silva had the ball for more than a second.

The defence were fantastic. Frustrated aguero and balotelli with the little time they got on the ball.

Midfield was very strong. I mentioned about Lucas and Adam but downing was superb gave Richards an absolute roasting with help from Enrique. Henderson showed amazing potential very strong very clever just needs a little more confidence.

Then the forward line kuyt didn't look to sharp but probably due to little game time. Suarez once again was amazing his running he's movement. Very exciting player.

And Kenny gets all the plaudits for me. Very brave to change a winning formular leaving maxi out. Also had the balls to leave carrol out after his brace last year and also to leave Carragher on the bench. But most of all when managers would have panicked and made substitutions he left as it was and only brought carrol on because kuyt.  was trashed.

Well done lads if we play that way against fulham I can see us absolutely twatting them

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:55 am

Great performance against a club that has just recorded losing £200m in a year to get where they are. Before the game they had dropped two points all season. We have taken as many points off them as any other team in their last twelve games which kind of puts things in perspective. Cracking game with everybody working incredibly hard and never for one minute looked like the team that they thrashed 6-1 recently! We are going in the right direction. I feel somewhat sorry for the supporters that are incapable of seeing what Lucas, who I used to detest, brings to the game. He was my MOTM and was every bit as good as Mascha ever was in that position. Kuyt typically gets criticised simply because we didn't win. He does more work than anybody else so he inevitably makes more mistakes. Kuyt's contribution is incredible and it's about time his  knockers tried watching what he does do rather than his occasional mistakes.He was our highest scorer last season and people still whinge. Face reality this team with a bit of luck could be a few points off City and seriously challenging.

The next six games which we are more than capable of winning will define the season. If anybody had said before the Chelsea and City games that you would get four points then most people would have said that would be brilliant. Lets start really appreciating what is happening at Anfield. We can get into the top four but lets concentrate on the positives. I am not a massive fan of Carroll but with a bit of luck he would have been a hero yesterday. His incredibly unlucky miss against Swansea when he hit the underside of the cross bar would have given him a goal and Downing a much needed assist but that is just indicative of the way the season has gone and that will change! United's luck ran out on Saturday so it is a good time to start believing!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Thinkpad » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:31 pm

Kopite-Jud wrote:When we play wide there's only one person in the box! Suarez often isolated with his back to goal at times.
Should have taken 3 points (again)

Drawn in 5 games at home, it's really frustrating

Which is one of the reason why we perform better against teams that have open play (mostly top teams) but struggle against weaker teams that pack their defense and midfield. Not to mentioned having players from those teams hounding our players withe ball. We don't perform under those circumstances and it is largely to the fact that we are not dynamic enough to change the game plan or approach to counter it.
Thinkpad

Postby The Good Yank » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:20 pm

metalhead wrote:
The Good Yank wrote:Thought we played great today.  Unlucky a bit maybe.  My one gripe would be Carroll coming on a bit too late.  Was impressed by Henderson (aside from a few poor touches) with his box to box play.  No easy task playing against that midfield.

Henderson was awful mate, wasteful in possession and invisible most of the game.

I agree that he gave the ball away a bit, sometimes trying the sublime when he should have picked an easier pass.  What I meant was that I thought his play away from the ball was what impressed me.  He did a very nice job tracking back and helping Johnson out to frustrate their front three.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:19 am

only me wrote:Lucas MOTM without a doubt just massive play today.

I think people got caught by the final minutes when we Blitzed them but i thought our overall play wasn't good. We defended too deep and too much time we allowed to handle th ball comfertably and easiily. We should have been at their throats from the first minute and not playing cowerdly at times. You could see the fatigue catching up on the City players and we could have made them work much much more.

A miss for me. I thought we should have won before the game started but the players approach was not completly their.

Henderson handling of the ball ,when he finally did touch it, was of a carpenter and not a football player ,really don't know what needs to be done with him anymore. Downing again 10 minutes felt out of 90 ,not good enough. And for god sake let Big Andy Play give him a chance Kuyt should really be a permenent bench player.

Just watched the game again and based on your post I think it is you who only watched the last five minutes.

City have been scoring for fun and they were incredibly lucky to walk away with anything and all you can do is mainly criticise.Try a bit of encouragement after such a brilliant result.You seem to have failed to notice what City have spent and the fact that they had only dropped two points all season before going to Anfield.Stop whinging and enjoy the renaissance it's good for the blood pressure! With a bit of luck after five home draws that we should have won we could be seriously challenging at the top.We have seen some phenomenal goal keeping performances at Anfield this season and that is going to stop at some stage.

The team is growing in confidence and needs our support and not ridiculous criticism.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:25 am

Before we get too carried away lets recall we drew against Norwich - combined purchase value of the squad 26 million quid. We have to be consistent wekk in week out and learn how to put teams to bed.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:50 am

Reg wrote:Before we get too carried away lets recall we drew against Norwich - combined purchase value of the squad 26 million quid. We have to be consistent wekk in week out and learn how to put teams to bed.

Reg. I'm not getting carried away. This was a club that was in absolute utter disarray less than a year ago. Owners that appeared to be only interested in their own wellbeing rather than the clubs and that's putting it very politely. A manager that was struggling in most areas.Players that were incredibly discontented and displaying their anger on the field.Fans that were so disgusted that they voted by staying away. I seem to remember that during that very sorry period that we had a premiership home crowd attendance of less than 35000!! In less than eight months we have put in mighty performances against Arsenal, Man United and Man City who we have taken four points from six.

We now have considerable strength in depth which hasn't existed for a very long time and was one of my main criticisms against Benitez.The changes that Kenny was able to make to beat Chelsea away certainly highlights the point I am trying to make and to think that was without either Gerrard or Carragher.Yes Swansea,Norwich and Sunderland should have given us a very definite additional six points but that's football and the team is on a massive learning curve.Norwich and Sunderland with any luck whatsoever would have been won by half time. Swansea wasn't a great performance but let's give them a bit of credit. They haven't actually been the pushover that a lot of teams expected.Spurs was my biggest disappointment for a very long time and let's face it they were brilliant and we probably played our worst football for a decade. I can forgive them for that.Everybody can have an off day.

We are in better shape than we have been for a very long time.Top four is achievable but we have got to believe and stop the miserable whinging.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:40 pm