Manchester City V Liverpool 3/2/13 16:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:29 am

thought we were absolutely exceptional.  played the champions off the park for long spells on their own patch. people who still doubt this manager need to revise their opinions after the last week when i've seen a fantastic response from that debacle at oldham.

sturrridge was superb i thought.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:46 am

We owned them. Shame we didn't own all 3pts.

I think that is one of the best performances we've seen this season (there have been some good ones too), we've dropped 4 needless points to this lot this season and they were ordinary. We made them look ordinary, we looked like the home side and bossed that. It's just a f.ucking shame that the hard work we do, and the positions we get ourselves into is usually undone by a moment of stupidity - Reina.

The whole 11 played remarkable and yes I include Downing he worked very hard, he's our equivalent to Milner for Citeh. I've come to the conclusion, that he isn't an attacking threat or a flair player but he's more of a grafter working the flanks like he does. And in all honesty, this team still requires grafters amidst the flair. Same applies to Henderson who again was outstanding, the lad got  proper stuck in and worked his @rse off, he's growing in this side and it's looking good for him.

Gerrard, well his form has really picked up and he's been just as immense. Lucas looked much more comfortable when the whole team doesn't drop to the edge of it's own penalty area. Still think another perhaps more mobile DM wouldn't hurt us though.

Sturridge had an excellent game (think he had a point to prove to this lot) and didn't disappoint,  he held the ball up well, passed well, looked to shoot at the right time, took players on when he needed too. He was great. Enrique and Johnson also worked the flanks well.

I'm really pleased with the performance the signs are very promising indeed, we're heading in the right direction under Rodgers. It's just a f.ucking shame we didn't get the 3pts we thoroughly deserved.

I think 4th spot is gone. Yet, if we keep Suarez, next season we should really (expectantly) be challenging for 4th, that means closing exact games out like this and taking all the points, too many times this season we haven't done that and that's what you need to do, to be a top 4 team.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:01 am

Fantastic performance even with bittersweet dropping of two away points,  when coupled with our home fixture against the Champions. Its somewhat ironic te stat that is bandied about that we havent beaten any of the top clubs this season under Rodgers, it certainly a cruel game sometimes

Still a postive and bright future
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:43 am

Magnificent away performance from the reds ,I thought Enrique and Lucas were absolute class ,and Sturridge looked completely unplayable such was his overall influence on the game. I think there are few players in world football who would have had the class to capitalise on Reina's mistake unfortunately Aguero happens to be one of them.

Its good to see Carragher turning back the clock,and Gerrard looking more productive,once again though keeping our concentration at the back has cost us a valuable three points ,because with that display we deserved to take maximum points . We played some beautiful football at the Etihad ,and Rodgers is quietly proving the doubters wrong .

YNWA
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:46 am

Had a look a the Blue Moon (Man City forum) they're all having a whinge about their team and their manager, and to be fair, like us, many of them felt city we're lucky to get a point .

This in particular made me laugh

we made Carragher look like Franco Baresi

:laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby laza » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:56 am

:laugh:
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:36 pm

Kenny Kan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:46 am wrote:We owned them. Shame we didn't own all 3pts.

I think that is one of the best performances we've seen this season (there have been some good ones too), we've dropped 4 needless points to this lot this season and they were ordinary. We made them look ordinary, we looked like the home side and bossed that. It's just a f.ucking shame that the hard work we do, and the positions we get ourselves into is usually undone by a moment of stupidity - Reina.

The whole 11 played remarkable and yes I include Downing he worked very hard, he's our equivalent to Milner for Citeh. I've come to the conclusion, that he isn't an attacking threat or a flair player but he's more of a grafter working the flanks like he does. And in all honesty, this team still requires grafters amidst the flair. Same applies to Henderson who again was outstanding, the lad got  proper stuck in and worked his @rse off, he's growing in this side and it's looking good for him.

Gerrard, well his form has really picked up and he's been just as immense. Lucas looked much more comfortable when the whole team doesn't drop to the edge of it's own penalty area. Still think another perhaps more mobile DM wouldn't hurt us though.

Sturridge had an excellent game (think he had a point to prove to this lot) and didn't disappoint,  he held the ball up well, passed well, looked to shoot at the right time, took players on when he needed too. He was great. Enrique and Johnson also worked the flanks well.

I'm really pleased with the performance the signs are very promising indeed, we're heading in the right direction under Rodgers. It's just a f.ucking shame we didn't get the 3pts we thoroughly deserved.

GREAT POST !! Thaat type of team and performance could challenge for the title next season.

I think 4th spot is gone. Yet, if we keep Suarez, next season we should really (expectantly) be challenging for 4th, that means closing exact games out like this and taking all the points, too many times this season we haven't done that and that's what you need to do, to be a top 4 team.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:02 pm

laza » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:01 am wrote:Fantastic performance even with bittersweet dropping of two away points,  when coupled with our home fixture against the Champions. Its somewhat ironic te stat that is bandied about that we havent beaten any of the top clubs this season under Rodgers, it certainly a cruel game sometimes

the reason why we havent beaten any of the top teams this season is that we cant absorb sustained pressure like we used to under houllier and benitez.
we blew a 2 goal lead against arsenal, a 2 goal lead against everton, a 1 goal lead against man united and we led city twice at anfield and once at the etihad.
we`ve scored against all the top sides (including chelsea and spurs) but our defence keep on letting us down
in plain language our defence isnt good enough to stop good teams scoring against us.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:06 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:02 pm wrote:
laza » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:01 am wrote:Fantastic performance even with bittersweet dropping of two away points,  when coupled with our home fixture against the Champions. Its somewhat ironic te stat that is bandied about that we havent beaten any of the top clubs this season under Rodgers, it certainly a cruel game sometimes

the reason why we havent beaten any of the top teams this season is that we cant absorb sustained pressure like we used to under houllier and benitez.
we blew a 2 goal lead against arsenal, a 2 goal lead against everton, a 1 goal lead against man united and we led city twice at anfield and once at the etihad.
we`ve scored against all the top sides (including chelsea and spurs) but our defence keep on letting us down

Work in progress.

Rodgers deserves praise, he has spent little money in comparison to his peers yet produced a team who are able on the day compete with anyone.

We still misfires against certain types of opposition but based on the progress we aphave already made I am sure we will continue to improve.

Sturridge looks a class act and hopefully this signing will spur us on to make a charge for fourth.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Entourage » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Going into the United, Norwich, Arsenal and City games I predicted 3 points out of these 4 games and the 3 points coming at home to Norwich, usually I would feel a bit better with 5 points but in the manner of getting a point against Arsenal and City is pretty hard to swallow.

Lapses in concentration have cost us this season, City at home Skrtel switched off and cost us and lead for 14 minutes, Everton go 2-0 up and we concede 2 goals in 13 minutes their first goal was 2 minutes after Suarez scored, we lead for 6 minutes v United before conceding to Rafael, Arsenal away 2-0 up in the 60th minute and by the 67th minute its 2-2 and Sunday we went 2-1 up and 5 minutes later they score the equaliser!

We have held leads against the teams above us this season but the longest lead we have had is for 14 minutes?!
Entourage
LFC Basic Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:11 pm

in plain language our defence isnt good enough to stop good teams scoring against us.

It's the midfield that is the problem. This defense doesn't just go from miserly to porous in the blink of an eye. The team dynamics have changed dramatically and we play open expansive stuff, with 3 central midifelders, some days we're overrun and outnumbered but even when the two wider forwards drop back to a five man midfield,  they're not tacklers or trackers per say, and even still, with the mighty midgets (Lucas & Allen) who have also played (on separtate occasions) our midfield has also been out muscled. With all this indecisiveness going on in front of the back 4 plus the lack of cover (remember we used to have TWO sitters, Masch, Alonso or Lucas) protecting the defense is it an wonder we're out of equilibrium  :D  at the back - not in my mind.

Rodgers HAS NOT QUITE found the balance between defense and attack and if he thinks he has, then the lads certainly aren't 'pulling it off'.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Kenny Kan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:11 pm wrote:

It's the midfield that is the problem. This defense doesn't just go from miserly to porous in the blink of an eye. The team dynamics have changed dramatically and we play open expansive stuff, with 3 central midifelders, some days we're overrun and outnumbered but even when the two wider forwards drop back to a five man midfield,  they're not tacklers or trackers per say, and even still, with the mighty midgets (Lucas & Allen) who have also played (on separtate occasions) our midfield has also been out muscled. With all this indecisiveness going on in front of the back 4 plus the lack of cover (remember we used to have TWO sitters, Masch, Alonso or Lucas) protecting the defense is it an wonder we're out of equilibrium  :D  at the back - not in my mind.

Rodgers HAS NOT QUITE found the balance between defense and attack and if he thinks he has, then the lads certainly aren't 'pulling it off'.

Its also a bit of self belief at the moment, get a few good results against top teams and we will hold leads like that. A few seasons ago we were beating the top teams and tripping up against the lower sides. If you look at the ManU team this year, I don't think they are anything special, in fact its one of their weakest squads for many years but they keep winning, getting late goals and alot of that is down to confidence and self belief.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Entourage » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:44 pm wrote:Going into the United, Norwich, Arsenal and City games I predicted 3 points out of these 4 games and the 3 points coming at home to Norwich, usually I would feel a bit better with 5 points but in the manner of getting a point against Arsenal and City is pretty hard to swallow.

Lapses in concentration have cost us this season, City at home Skrtel switched off and cost us and lead for 14 minutes, Everton go 2-0 up and we concede 2 goals in 13 minutes their first goal was 2 minutes after Suarez scored, we lead for 6 minutes v United before conceding to Rafael, Arsenal away 2-0 up in the 60th minute and by the 67th minute its 2-2 and Sunday we went 2-1 up and 5 minutes later they score the equaliser!

We have held leads against the teams above us this season but the longest lead we have had is for 14 minutes?!

good point mate, we seem to be at our most vunerable just after we`ve taken the lead.
wether that`s down to a lapse in concentration after the euphoria of us taking the lead or wether it`s down to the opposition throwing the kitchen sink at us in an effort to get back into the game or even if it`s just a plain old coincidence one thing is certain and that is our defence has got to improve.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games