LIVERPOOL V RABOTNICKI 2ND LEG - My 1st match thread and probably last

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:49 am

Owzat wrote:
bigmick wrote:N'Gog-8. Much improved.

Yet still managed to feck up two golden opportunities to score, well one via trying to play someone else in

No doubt he has some skill, skill that has developed since his first arrival, the problem is IMO his decision making.

1) Trying to round the keeper when you have an age to shoot is stupid, I can't help but think he is trying to do what Torres does.

2) His attempted pass that went wrong to Gerrard. Unselfish but wrong, I instantly was shouting shoot and I believe that Torres would not have passed. The chance was begging for a little chip over a rushing keeper.

Hopefully this season will be one of fine tuning for Ngog. He gets into nice positions which as we all know is the key to being a good striker. Now he has to refine his finishing and be more decisive.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:54 am

Went last night and took my lad for the first time in the annie rd. He was made up. The only thing that p!ssed me off was people trying to start a mexican wave, f@ck right off with stuff like that.

I thought the team played really well. Some great football was played at times.
Jovanovic surprised me ALOT. I know we were playing a poor and limited side but his movement and touch at times was fantastic.
I also like the little hand slaps he was giving players after a move had come close to a goal. He did it twice to Joe Cole in the second half. That type of thing brings team spirit.
Cole was superb, looks different class to anyone we have had in that sort of position for a good few years.
Torres will love playing with him and you could see Stevie was enjoying himself.
On the misplaced passes i agree that there were too many but i am with Scott and feel if he was playing in the centre against a better side he wouldnt give it away as much as he is sensible enough to realise that better teams will hurt you if they are counter attacking you so often (especially Arsenal).
Kelly was steady and that goal line clearance was brilliant. The lad looks like he could play in a number of positions and not let anyone down. He is also a very good footballer, comfortable on the ball. We definitely shouldnt be looking at bringing in another full back which limits Kellys chances, he is ready now for me.
I thought Pacheco looked lively but his touch at times let him down. He is one that for me wouldnt be a starter yet but looks easily capable of coming on last 10 and providing a spark.
Ngog scored again and looks like he is growing into the role a bit better. He should have done better with other opportunities but all strikers miss chances - even Torres.
I am happy to keep the lad, but he would be 3rd choice for me. We still are desperate for a striker.

All in all really enjoyed the game last night, the positive atmosphere around the ground was great as well.

Cant wait for next Sunday now.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:35 am

and not a vuvuzela in sight :laugh:
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mkingdom » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:07 pm

One phrase kept coming to mind last night....

A joy to watch.

I haven't thought that for a long time.  I know it is early, and it is a honeymoon period and all that for Roy, but, again, taking the opposition into account, we looked good last night.

Joe Cole looked absolute class, and if he and Gerrard play together for most of the season they will terrorise defences.  Add a fit Torres to that, and we will be feared by everyone.

Jovanovic looked like he works as hard as Kuyt, but is quicker, better in the air, and more skillful than I imagined.

Kelly proved the Lyon game wasn't a fluke and he looks class too.

Lucas was steady and composed and could finally be turing into a player, perhaps because he isn't forced into playing as one of two DMs.

Johnson looked unplayable going forward, but with the obligatory couple of howlers in defence, which a better team would have punished.

Overall, the team look like last season never happened, and Cole could completely change the team for the better.

I bet Arsene's $hitting himself :D
mkingdom

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:40 pm

Who did we get in the next round ? haven't seen or heard yet...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:12 pm

JoeTerp wrote:I think Cole was clearly better than Pacheco.  Pacheco was frustrating imo. Waaay to often he had it taken off him, or unsuccessfully tried going around people.  Cole was every, much tidier, provided the cross for the goal, helped out in defense on a couple of occasions

Yep. Man of the Match was Cole, no doubt about it. Did the things well that Pacheco did wrong. Right throughout the game his touch, his vision, his strength and his passing were brilliant.

Of the rest, I'd say Gerrard was the pick for his range of passing and some of his forward runs. Luas also had a very good game alongside him. He didn't offer nearly as much going forward, though he did make a few good forward passes (and a couple that led to v. good chances) and did the defensive/covering work well. Together they looked the part.

Ngog's general play was better than usual it seemed to me, even though he fluffed three or four very good chances inside the box - once more underlining our need for another striker. Jovanovic, decent performance I'd say, struggling to think of anything standout. He came across as incredibly one-footed.

Hard-pressed to say much about the defence other than that Kelly impressed me with his all round game, despite not being a natural LB. Johnson made an impact down the right, twice setting up Ngog inside the box only for him to balls it, and on several subsequent occasions but without really finding the shot or cross he needed. Skrtel and Carra did what they had to do well, but all in all it was a stroll in the park.
LFC2007

Postby Greavesie » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:50 pm

Got to say N'gog frustrated the sh!t out of me last nite. The one on one he got with the keeper was wonderful play and really deservig of a goal. If that was Nando it was only ever going in, unfortunately N'gog couldn't makehis mind up and before he knew it the keeper was at his feet.

His other chance where he tried to play in Stevie was also baffling, perhaps his confidence was shot due to his last error with the one on one but he has to learn when to pass and when to shoot.

His finish for his goal was a good header though and one he can be rightly proud of though
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Redx » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:14 am

Lee J wrote:and not a vuvuzela in sight :laugh:

Thank heavens for that...  :D
Redx

Previous