LIVERPOOL VS HULL CITY - Official match thread

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby FootballPictures » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:20 am

Great pictures + video from Liverpool FC - Hull City on www.footballpictures.eu !
FootballPictures

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:34 am

akumaface wrote:Torres was unbelievable. It was like he was toying with the defender. What amazes me was his chance of pace and his finishing. His header and footwork are both above average. Just an amazing player. I tried not to be negative about this but we really do have to sort out our defense on Set piece and CB. At times they were confused again. Overall, we capitalized on our chances. I also thought the left side with Riera and Insua, the way they crossover and move forward opened up a lot of space. Our left side looked very good indeed.

I agree that Torres is just an absolute monster of a player.  His power, his pace, his skill in close quarters and, as you've highlighted, his change of pace are all out of the very top drawer.  He could have had 6 himself yesterday, I think, if Rafa had left him on.  I'm glad he didn't though.  It's a long season and our fortunes fundamentally depend on the lad.  Also, the more he torments defenders the more likely they are to try and kick him up in the air.  It must be the height of frustration to have him turn you and your teammates inside and out repeatedly and the temptation would be there to get some back.  The last thing we need is to lose him to some rush-of-blood challenge from a spiteful defender.

I also agree that we looked strong down the left yesterday.  It's not that Johnson and Benayoun played poorly--they didn't--but they were outshone by Insua and Riera.  Those two were linking up very well indeed and getting in behind McShane (who might well have got his walking papers with another ref) almost at will.  The interchange that led to our first was sublime.  What I like is how much balance we have across the pitch at the moment, with Insua and Riera probing down the left and Johnson and Kuyt/Benayoun linking up down the right.  Withe Stevie playing a deeper role we look more potent through the middle as well and it's all clicking into gear.

A word on Babel in response to Dazzer.  As one of the lad's biggest critics on here I'll hold my hand up and say he's looked almost a different player at times over the last few games.  The big improvement is in attitude--he seems well up for it and is haring around like a madman, chasing lost causes and finally causing the opposition problems.  With that said, we shouldn't get too carried away.  There are still those painful moments where he looks bereft of a clue: about what to do with the ball, about what positions to take up, about where his teammates are.  He did excellent work to pick out Kuyt in the build up to his first goal but minutes before he completely failed to notice Lucas to his right in acres of space on the counter.  I hope the awareness aspect grows with confidence and some more matches under his belt but I suspect it will always be an issue.  In any case, he's contributing now and is working his way back towards being that impact sub we got such use out of in his first season.  He's still not first 11 material for me by some distance but if he can come off the bench and run at tired defenders the way he did yesterday I'd have him in my match squad all day long.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Dazzer » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:30 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
akumaface wrote:Torres was unbelievable. It was like he was toying with the defender. What amazes me was his chance of pace and his finishing. His header and footwork are both above average. Just an amazing player. I tried not to be negative about this but we really do have to sort out our defense on Set piece and CB. At times they were confused again. Overall, we capitalized on our chances. I also thought the left side with Riera and Insua, the way they crossover and move forward opened up a lot of space. Our left side looked very good indeed.

I agree that Torres is just an absolute monster of a player.  His power, his pace, his skill in close quarters and, as you've highlighted, his change of pace are all out of the very top drawer.  He could have had 6 himself yesterday, I think, if Rafa had left him on.  I'm glad he didn't though.  It's a long season and our fortunes fundamentally depend on the lad.  Also, the more he torments defenders the more likely they are to try and kick him up in the air.  It must be the height of frustration to have him turn you and your teammates inside and out repeatedly and the temptation would be there to get some back.  The last thing we need is to lose him to some rush-of-blood challenge from a spiteful defender.

I also agree that we looked strong down the left yesterday.  It's not that Johnson and Benayoun played poorly--they didn't--but they were outshone by Insua and Riera.  Those two were linking up very well indeed and getting in behind McShane (who might well have got his walking papers with another ref) almost at will.  The interchange that led to our first was sublime.  What I like is how much balance we have across the pitch at the moment, with Insua and Riera probing down the left and Johnson and Kuyt/Benayoun linking up down the right.  Withe Stevie playing a deeper role we look more potent through the middle as well and it's all clicking into gear.

A word on Babel in response to Dazzer.  As one of the lad's biggest critics on here I'll hold my hand up and say he's looked almost a different player at times over the last few games.  The big improvement is in attitude--he seems well up for it and is haring around like a madman, chasing lost causes and finally causing the opposition problems.  With that said, we shouldn't get too carried away.  There are still those painful moments where he looks bereft of a clue: about what to do with the ball, about what positions to take up, about where his teammates are.  He did excellent work to pick out Kuyt in the build up to his first goal but minutes before he completely failed to notice Lucas to his right in acres of space on the counter.  I hope the awareness aspect grows with confidence and some more matches under his belt but I suspect it will always be an issue.  In any case, he's contributing now and is working his way back towards being that impact sub we got such use out of in his first season.  He's still not first 11 material for me by some distance but if he can come off the bench and run at tired defenders the way he did yesterday I'd have him in my match squad all day long.

Good post bob and I have to say I agree but I am type of fan they will support my players through the bad times and the good times unless they do or say something that makes club look bad I will defend them untill the cows come home.But thats just me very loyal to much for my own good sometimes.  :)

With that said, we shouldn't get too carried away.  There are still those painful moments where he looks bereft of a clue: about what to do with the ball, about what positions to take up, about where his teammates are.  He did excellent work to pick out Kuyt in the build up to his first goal but minutes before he completely failed to notice Lucas to his right in acres of space on the counter.

The lad is still young bob and even the best players in world don't get it right 50% of the time or most of top 6 clubs would win 22-0 every game cut him some slack.I meen what is he 22 years old we wasn't demanding this sort of perfect performance of Gerrard at this age or Carra I meen every player makes mistakes and god know they do.Even Gerrard now can do some stupid passes ones even I know I could do better. :oops:

This whole effort thing as well I don't see it tbh I know he don't like defending maybe he is tackle shy ? who knows but he always seems to try for me and that will grow the more he falls in love with our club.But us fans slagging him off every time he puts in a bad one isn't gonna speed up that process.all I am saying is lets wipe the slate clean with babel give him another 2 years to prove his worth and if he can't show us by 24 he is a world beater then fairs fair and maybe moving would be best thing for him and the club.
Dazzer
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:29 pm

Bad Bob wrote: He could have had 6 himself yesterday, I think, if Rafa had left him on.  I'm glad he didn't though. 

Obviously you don't have Torres in your fantasy football team Bob  :angry:

:D
account deleted by request

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:33 pm

Bad Bob wrote:

Top Post that fully agree , Babel has been playing well as of late , the lad should keep his head down and not get carried away , keep performing like this and he can be our backup for kuyt on the right and also cover torres if needed . Good good goal as well
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:56 pm

Babel is best used as an impact sub, lets just leave him at that. :D
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:35 am

Paul Merson said Hull where the better team on saturday, seriously WTF is his deal, sick of this gobsh!te slagging us off all the time.

He really hates us with a passion.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:50 am

Ciggy wrote:Paul Merson said Hull where the better team on saturday, seriously WTF is his deal, sick of this gobsh!te slagging us off all the time.

Merson is a twunt - but to be fair, in the post-match round up he said Hull were competin "even stevens" up until 2-1 and then they were well beaten

http://www.skysports.com/video/clips/0,23791,12602_5574015,00.html
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:40 am

bigmick wrote:I think we'll win 6-1.

lottery numbers please :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tommycockles » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:06 pm

Ciggy wrote:Paul Merson said Hull where the better team on saturday, seriously WTF is his deal, sick of this gobsh!te slagging us off all the time.

Hahahahahahahahaha!

Let him hate us as long as he looks like a thick sh.it! So-called experts!
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:01 pm

Good win, better than the 2-2 last season, but let's not get carried away. They were a poor side, much less of a contest than last season and even then we should have gone for it more and won it in the second half back then. I think I saw a stat that they'd won two of their last 28 Premiership games, they are in freefall and put them down as one of three going the same way.

Good hat-trick from Torres, but it was a bit like a replay on PES or something for with sidesteps etc in the penalty area. Leeds put up more fight, our next three games could shape our season.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:06 pm

Owzat wrote:Good hat-trick from Torres, but it was a bit like a replay on PES or something for with sidesteps etc in the penalty area.

his ability to shift the ball from one foot to the other is quite frankly exceptional.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Rush Job » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:36 am

Ciggy wrote:BRING ON YER MANCHESTER YERNAITED,
BRING ON YER COCKNEYS BY THE SCORE
AN WE''LL TAKE YER TWO BY TWO
AN KICK FECK OUTTA YOU
CAUSE LIVERPOOL ARE THE TEAM THAT WE ADORE  :buttrock

What a lovely young lady you are.
Such a way with words. :D
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby beng » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:05 am

Evaluate players' efforts in the game with  HULL CITY
http://www.voteplayers.com/Matches....47.aspx
beng

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games