LIVERPOOL V RABOTNICKI 2ND LEG - My 1st match thread and probably last

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:18 pm

fivecups wrote:He might take over the ugly b'astard mantle

Shelveys a bit of a looker I must say  :Oo:  :sniffle
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:19 pm

Ciggy wrote:
supersub wrote:An earlier comment about the crowd not singing for Roy is a bit harsh

:D  Who said that :D

Im not having a dig at Roy BTW before anyone kicks off, but why would we sing a song for the new manager in our first game at Anfield?

I will give you one guess and it was just the once it was mentioned as well
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:26 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
Ciggy wrote:
supersub wrote:An earlier comment about the crowd not singing for Roy is a bit harsh

:D  Who said that :D

Im not having a dig at Roy BTW before anyone kicks off, but why would we sing a song for the new manager in our first game at Anfield?

I will give you one guess and it was just the once it was mentioned as well

Benny, chill mate  :;):

Regardless of who sang songs about whom, regardless of how many passes the captain misplaced, we are both happy that we played well tonight so lets leave it there. Yes we both know there will be sterner tests ahead, but the players seemed to be enjoying themselves and that bodes well for the new season.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:33 pm

Just got back from the game .... Jovanovic Gerrard and Cole's movement was at times exceptional ,have to say I was really impressed with the attitude of all the players in their chasing  the ball down ,especially Cole's constant harrying of their midfielder's  ....
But what  was truly refreshing was seeing players constantly  produce quality crosses ,if Torres had been available Tonight we would have run up  a cricket score ......
Before the kick off tonight you could feel the heightened anticipation in the crowd ... Anfield hasn't felt this sensation for a while ,
and for me personally it coincided with the welcome return of our captain who for most of last season was invisible and played with a veritable frown .... Well he's back and he played with freedom spraying precision 40 yrd balls around the pitch with the aplomb we have come to expect .... long may it continue .........
I also thought Kelly was a breath of fresh air at Left back he even took the weight off Carragher and Skrtel at CB and his intervention to stop what seemed a certain goal was Henchoz like  :bowdown
Ok the opposition where for the most part insipid and lifeless but seriously better teams than this will be opened up by Liverpool's new found invention ......
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:35 pm

bigmick wrote:I will give you one guess and it was just the once it was mentioned as well

Regardless of who sang songs about whom, regardless of how many passes the captain misplaced, we are both happy that we played well tonight so lets leave it there. Yes we both know there will be sterner tests ahead, but the players seemed to be enjoying themselves and that bodes well for the new season.[/quote]
Mick how long have you been a Liverpool fan for because theres seriously some paranoia going on right there Liverpool fans have never made a song up for the new manager at his first game in charge at Anfield apart from past player/managers.

This is nothing against Roy but they have never done such a thing, Rafa didnt get songs sung about him his first game in charge neither did Houllier, its weird you should say it.

There would have been a lot of fans happy that Roys our manager at Anfield tonight and some that are not I dont know what song you think they should sing to him? What words, Tunes etc they are made up by beating teams and winning trophys, look at our poor Derek cause he has such a sh!tty dutch name that rhyms with nothing he still doesnt have a proper dity.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:37 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:Kelly was a breath of fresh air at Left back his intervention to stop what seemed a certain goal was Henchoz like  :bowdown

I was reminded of Mark Lawrenson at that particular clearance :)
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby aCe' » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:40 pm

I dont think Gerrard had one of his better games... In-fact, if i was manager I'd sit Gerrard down for a long long talk about his new role in the side (if Roy plans on using him this season the way he did tonight).. Out of the 22 on the pitch im sure Gerrard misplaced more passes than all.. Dont get me wrong, some of his movement on and off the ball was fantastic... You could tell that he was better than anyone else on the pitch... But still...

- Long balls that didnt get to their intended targets...
- Attempting the harder pass when an easier option to maintain possession and spread the backline was available...
- Staying further forward when Lucas was under pressure in the middle of the park with limited passing options...

He's a top player and while having him higher up trying to connect with Cole or create for Torres might very well be the stuff of dreams, the way we were set up tonight implied that he had more than one duty on the pitch and for me he didnt play the role as well as he should have...

Oh and the misplaced passes.. I wouldnt put down to lack of match practice or sharpness.. Its always been a part of his game... Playing higher up its not much of a problem if 3 out of every 5 passes dont connect... Sometimes you only need 1 to put the striker through on goal or the winger behind the fullback... You;re expected to take more risks and thus lose more balls trying the pass or the turn... Down the middle it's a little different and hopefully Gerrard can adjust to the new role as soon as possible..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:43 pm

Ciggy wrote:
bigmick wrote:I will give you one guess and it was just the once it was mentioned as well

Regardless of who sang songs about whom, regardless of how many passes the captain misplaced, we are both happy that we played well tonight so lets leave it there. Yes we both know there will be sterner tests ahead, but the players seemed to be enjoying themselves and that bodes well for the new season.

Mick how long have you been a Liverpool fan for because theres seriously some paranoia going on right there Liverpool fans have never made a song up for the new manager at his first game in charge at Anfield apart from past player/managers.

This is nothing against Roy but they have never done such a thing, Rafa didnt get songs sung about him his first game in charge neither did Houllier, its weird you should say it.

There would have been a lot of fans happy that Roys our manager at Anfield tonight and some that are not I dont know what song you think they should sing to him? What words, Tunes etc they are made up by beating teams and winning trophys, look at our poor Derek cause he has such a sh!tty dutch name that rhyms with nothing he still doesnt have a proper dity.[/quote]
Lynds I remember the "Raffer-Raff-eye-elle"'s as being in the first game at Tottenham mate, but if I'm wrong then fair enough. Maybe it was Cisse's goal which got me all dreamy.

Anyway, from the reception our new manager got on here when he first was appointed (admittedly a reception which has significantly melted since) I feel I kind of want to stick up for him a bit if I think he's not being given a fair crack.

If though as you say it takes the fansd a while to think of a tune, then no probs. My mistake for jumping the gun.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:44 pm

I'm getting worried now but that's twice now I'm in total agreement with you Ace
Last edited by Benny The Noon on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benny The Noon

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:45 pm

aCe' wrote:I dont think Gerrard had one of his better games... In-fact, if i was manager I'd sit Gerrard down for a long long talk about his new role in the side (if Roy plans on using him this season the way he did tonight).. Out of the 22 on the pitch im sure Gerrard misplaced more passes than all

What game was you watching seriously? Gerrard was the diamond that was shining in between the Zirconia's and pieces of broken glass.
Last edited by Ciggy on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:46 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:I'm getting worried now but that's twice now I'm in total agreement with you Ace

I'm assuming it's aCe you are in agreement with and not bigmick :D
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:46 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:I'm getting worried now but that's twice now I'm in total agreement with you Ace

You think you're worried. How do you think he feels :laugh:.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:46 pm

I haven't watched the match but I think I'm going to go with aCe's opinion about Stevie in the middle.  Imo he is still inconsistent in the middle and if he's played week in week out there it will come out for everyone to see.  I just don't see him all of a sudden becoming an entirely different player in the middle.  Some games he looks world class in there but at times he's just not at the races and just doesn't have the focus required to play there, I'd go so far as to say that most games he just doesn't play well there.  We crave for any sort of creativity out of midfield so badly though that when he does play even if he doesn't play that well he's like a breath of fresh air regardless.  Anyway I hope I can download the match and watch it soon sounds like we played well. :)
Zidane

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:46 pm

I agree with him Ciggy - gerrard was just steady for me tonight and his passing on the whole was awful
Benny The Noon

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:47 pm

supersub wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:Kelly was a breath of fresh air at Left back his intervention to stop what seemed a certain goal was Henchoz like  :bowdown

I was reminded of Mark Lawrenson at that particular clearance :)

I agree.... Lawro would be another famed for such impeccable interceptions  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games