RABOTNICKI vs. LIVERPOOL (Europa League) - 29/7/2010

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:46 pm

Roy Hodgson admits he will face a tough decision over who will make Liverpool's line-up for next week's Europa League qualifier against FK Rabotnicki.

The Reds boss was pleased with the performance of his young guns in Saturday's 1-0 defeat in Kaiserslautern but concedes it could be a big ask to play a similar team in Macedonia.

"It is pretty obvious to everyone that is not the sort of team you really want to play on Thursday," he said.

"They deserve credit for the way they went about their business but we will have to think carefully.

"The sports science people are keen we don't throw the World Cup people into action, but to throw this team into the Europa League might be a bridge too far for them."

source

We were supposed to submit our 25 man squad on Friday night, but I don't see it yet on LFC's UEFA page

In theory, there shouldn't be any surprises in the 25 man squad, because we should be able to list all of our senior players on it no problem (we would even have room for Itandje  :angry: if we felt like it   )  You are allowed an unlimited amount of U21 players as part of your squad (although UEFA has stricter rules than the premier league in that they only allow you to count U21 players that have been at your club for 2 years, while the PL lets you count any U21 player.  And BTW, U21 for both of them means U21 on Jan 1 of the year that the competition started, meaning that David N'gog is an U21 player even though he will be 22 when this Europa League is over.

Also, the other difference between UEFA and the PL is that UEFA requires that 4 of your 8 domestic slots in the 25 man roster have to also be trained by the club, not just trained in England, but this has no real effect on us because we have Gerrard, Carra, Spearing, and Darby, and its not like we have more than 4 non LFC 'English' players.

With that out of the way, I would expect this sort of a team in the first leg:
                       Cavalieri
Darby         Kyrgiakos      Ayala     Kelly
Amoo          Lucas         Aquilani    Jovanovic
                                   Eccleston
                  N'gog

with Jova and Eccleston interchangable

I am not a sports scientist, but if both Kyrgiakos and Jova can't play, then Victor Palsson would play CB with Ayala and then either Ince will play LM or Lauri Dalla Valle will play behind N'gog and Eccleston will play on the left.

We have seen Darby play LB and Kelly at RB so far, but I think they should switch.  Why play two players out of position when you could just play one.  I know Darby played in the reserves a lot last year as a LB, but he doesn't look comfortable on that side, and Kelly is much more of a natural footballer that is comfortable anywhere across the backline, and played some LB while on loan a few years ago.  They are both better RBs than LBs, and I think Kelly is the better RB, but I think Darby has the bigger drop off when he switches sides.

Another combo that i wouldn't mind seeing would look pretty much the same but with:

Lucas           Jonjo
                Aquilani
                N'gog

Also, I would hope that Cole, Johnson, Gerrard, Carra, Skrtel, and Agger could all make the bench and maybe come on as subs.
JoeTerp

Postby bigmick » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:59 pm

Surely Pepe can play? I don't think he featured for Spain did he?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:15 pm

bigmick wrote:Surely Pepe can play? I don't think he featured for Spain did he?

I think there is a mandatory 3 week holiday regardless of if you played in or not.  He was still training with the squad every day, and had to be prepared to go in for Iker if he got injured.  Pepe has played in all our league games for a bunch of years now.  I wouldn't want him going 22 straight months without a break.

I don't think Cavalieri playing will be our biggest weakness anyway.
JoeTerp

Postby bigmick » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:50 am

I have extensively researched it, and I think I'm right in saying we have never played this team before. I can also confidently predict we won't again either. Other than that, I'm afraid I haven't got anything to add.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:31 am

Roy Hodgson admits he could yet call upon some of his World Cup stars ahead of Thursday's Europa League clash with FK Rabotnicki.

The Reds boss will once again consult his medical staff before deciding who will travel for the qualifier in Macedonia, but admits he could yet be tempted to call upon some of the more senior members of his squad.

"I don't know what to do at this stage," said Hodgson. "I will have to liaise with them and (head of sports science) Peter Brukner and make a decision by Tuesday on what sort of team I can put out.

"I can promise the Liverpool fans we will put out the best possible team, without compromising the future.

"It is going to be a difficult discussion between myself and Peter because his feeling is we shouldn't use any of them and I am going to be tempted to say I want to use quite a few of them.

"The only players I will take will be the ones that I definitely think will play a valuable part in the game.

"If we are talking about senior players, it would be players prepared to start the game. I would not take Steven Gerrard there to play for the last 10 minutes as a substitute."
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:31 pm

JoeTerp wrote:Roy Hodgson admits he will face a tough decision over who will make Liverpool's line-up for next week's Europa League qualifier against FK Rabotnicki.

The Reds boss was pleased with the performance of his young guns in Saturday's 1-0 defeat in Kaiserslautern but concedes it could be a big ask to play a similar team in Macedonia.

"It is pretty obvious to everyone that is not the sort of team you really want to play on Thursday," he said.

"They deserve credit for the way they went about their business but we will have to think carefully.

"The sports science people are keen we don't throw the World Cup people into action, but to throw this team into the Europa League might be a bridge too far for them."

source

We were supposed to submit our 25 man squad on Friday night, but I don't see it yet on LFC's UEFA page

In theory, there shouldn't be any surprises in the 25 man squad, because we should be able to list all of our senior players on it no problem (we would even have room for Itandje  :angry: if we felt like it   )  You are allowed an unlimited amount of U21 players as part of your squad (although UEFA has stricter rules than the premier league in that they only allow you to count U21 players that have been at your club for 2 years, while the PL lets you count any U21 player.  And BTW, U21 for both of them means U21 on Jan 1 of the year that the competition started, meaning that David N'gog is an U21 player even though he will be 22 when this Europa League is over.

Also, the other difference between UEFA and the PL is that UEFA requires that 4 of your 8 domestic slots in the 25 man roster have to also be trained by the club, not just trained in England, but this has no real effect on us because we have Gerrard, Carra, Spearing, and Darby, and its not like we have more than 4 non LFC 'English' players.

With that out of the way, I would expect this sort of a team in the first leg:
                       Cavalieri
Darby         Kyrgiakos      Ayala     Kelly
Amoo          Lucas         Aquilani    Jovanovic
                                   Eccleston
                  N'gog

with Jova and Eccleston interchangable

I am not a sports scientist, but if both Kyrgiakos and Jova can't play, then Victor Palsson would play CB with Ayala and then either Ince will play LM or Lauri Dalla Valle will play behind N'gog and Eccleston will play on the left.

We have seen Darby play LB and Kelly at RB so far, but I think they should switch.  Why play two players out of position when you could just play one.  I know Darby played in the reserves a lot last year as a LB, but he doesn't look comfortable on that side, and Kelly is much more of a natural footballer that is comfortable anywhere across the backline, and played some LB while on loan a few years ago.  They are both better RBs than LBs, and I think Kelly is the better RB, but I think Darby has the bigger drop off when he switches sides.

Another combo that i wouldn't mind seeing would look pretty much the same but with:

Lucas           Jonjo
                Aquilani
                N'gog

Also, I would hope that Cole, Johnson, Gerrard, Carra, Skrtel, and Agger could all make the bench and maybe come on as subs.

From what I have seen last season when watching the reserves Victor Palsson is a midfielder who I really think can step up and make the grade Joe ,however I wasn't aware he could play CB as well... if that's the case then its another string to his bow
I personally think Hodgson will realise  the burgeoning  talent  this Lad has and utilise him this Season... I hope he also has a look at the Mavinga kid who has impressed also and looks more than comfortable at CB
Excellent post Joe ..... you definitely know your apples where the reserves are concerned ... welcome back fella
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:25 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:From what I have seen last season when watching the reserves Victor Palsson is a midfielder who I really think can step up and make the grade Joe ,however I wasn't aware he could play CB as well... if that's the case then its another string to his bow
I personally think Hodgson will realise  the burgeoning  talent  this Lad has and utilise him this Season... I hope he also has a look at the Mavinga kid who has impressed also and looks more than comfortable at CB
Excellent post Joe ..... you definitely know your apples where the reserves are concerned ... welcome back fella

I would say that VP is a central midfielder first and foremost, but I love his attitude on the pitch and he does reasonably well as a CB.  As one might expect, he doesn't quite read the game from that position as well, so his positioning was off at times, but he did himself proud in any one on one situations.  He isn't a lightweight by any means, and he is still young, but one would certainly expect that he would need to add some more muscle to his frame if he were to consider a permanent switch.  But by looking at all the CBs we currently have: Carra, Skrtel, Agger, Kyrgiakos, Ayala, Wilson, and Mavinga, I don't see that happening.

As far as Mavinga goes, he is currently like Pacheco off at the Euro U19s.  He was my player of the season in the reserves last year.  One of the best tackling CBs I have seen in all my days (which isn't many) watching football.  His success rate on challenges is off the charts.  He also has very good pace that he can use to bail out his teammates with.  Although he is not at the highest levels in terms of composure on the ball, it seems good enough.  He is very left footed though.  He also thought that he was a better LB, so they played him out there, and he clearly was not a better LB.  Also, I think some would say he is a little short or frail for CB.  He certainly plays stronger than he looks, but nobody has seen him go against really strong CBs.  But even though he isn't a giant, he still seems to do very well for himself in aerial challenges (although Ayala is probably better)

The kid to watch this season (and I hope he plays in the reserves and not the U18s) is Suso.  Only seen him in one 30 minute highlight but he absolutely jumped off the screen with his class.  here is a 3 minute version   Doesn't seem to use his right foot for anything but standing on (but so does Messi   :D   )
JoeTerp

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:07 pm

JoeTerp wrote:I would say that VP is a central midfielder first and foremost, but I love his attitude on the pitch and he does reasonably well as a CB.  As one might expect, he doesn't quite read the game from that position as well, so his positioning was off at times, but he did himself proud in any one on one situations.  He isn't a lightweight by any means, and he is still young, but one would certainly expect that he would need to add some more muscle to his frame if he were to consider a permanent switch.  But by looking at all the CBs we currently have: Carra, Skrtel, Agger, Kyrgiakos, Ayala, Wilson, and Mavinga, I don't see that happening.

As far as Mavinga goes, he is currently like Pacheco off at the Euro U19s.  He was my player of the season in the reserves last year.  One of the best tackling CBs I have seen in all my days (which isn't many) watching football.  His success rate on challenges is off the charts.  He also has very good pace that he can use to bail out his teammates with.  Although he is not at the highest levels in terms of composure on the ball, it seems good enough.  He is very left footed though.  He also thought that he was a better LB, so they played him out there, and he clearly was not a better LB.  Also, I think some would say he is a little short or frail for CB.  He certainly plays stronger than he looks, but nobody has seen him go against really strong CBs.  But even though he isn't a giant, he still seems to do very well for himself in aerial challenges (although Ayala is probably better)

The kid to watch this season (and I hope he plays in the reserves and not the U18s) is Suso.  Only seen him in one 30 minute highlight but he absolutely jumped off the screen with his class.  here is a 3 minute version   Doesn't seem to use his right foot for anything but standing on (but so does Messi   :D   )

The Boy Looks a bit special ,deft first touch and exceptional awareness ... not unlike Fabregas in that respect ( Well more like  Fabregas than Pacheco ) The player I have high hopes for though Joe is Young Michael Roberts the Midfielder we signed from Tranmere I watched him virtually run the midfield on his own against Man City   and his tackles and interceptions are like Gerrard in his raw youth ... I totally agree about Mavinga too lightweight but a mouthwatering talent if he adapts his physique mate his tackling is akin to Henchoz who I rate as one of the finest tacklers in the Game in his time at Liverpool

I think Pacheco's emergence in the Spain under 19 team is a real blessing he is suddenly looking like the player we know he can be ... the only downside is it will not just be exclusively Liverpool Football Club who will be sitting up taking notice ... and if he finishes the competition as the most outstanding player then all the Top teams will be sniffing around
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:52 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:I would say that VP is a central midfielder first and foremost, but I love his attitude on the pitch and he does reasonably well as a CB.  As one might expect, he doesn't quite read the game from that position as well, so his positioning was off at times, but he did himself proud in any one on one situations.  He isn't a lightweight by any means, and he is still young, but one would certainly expect that he would need to add some more muscle to his frame if he were to consider a permanent switch.  But by looking at all the CBs we currently have: Carra, Skrtel, Agger, Kyrgiakos, Ayala, Wilson, and Mavinga, I don't see that happening.

The Boy Looks a bit special ,deft first touch and exceptional awareness ... not unlike Fabregas in that respect ( Well more like  Fabregas than Pacheco ) The player I have high hopes for though Joe is Young Michael Roberts the Midfielder we signed from Tranmere I watched him virtually run the midfield on his own against Man City   and his tackles and interceptions are like Gerrard in his raw youth ... I totally agree about Mavinga too lightweight but a mouthwatering talent if he adapts his physique mate his tackling is akin to Henchoz who I rate as one of the finest tacklers in the Game in his time at Liverpool

I think Pacheco's emergence in the Spain under 19 team is a real blessing he is suddenly looking like the player we know he can be ... the only downside is it will not just be exclusively Liverpool Football Club who will be sitting up taking notice ... and if he finishes the competition as the most outstanding player then all the Top teams will be sniffing around

I like Michael Roberts, but I wouldn't be putting any money on him.  He is an interesting story.  He was mostly playing second fiddle to Pepper in his first season in the U18s, but really emerged last year and played very well.  In his first season he was more of the defensive minded player, and he didn't exactly do poorly, but Pepper caught more attention.  Then Pepper fell out of favor for one reason or another, and young Coady came into the team as the defensive midfielder, allowing Roberts to play further forward.

After his first season, I wasn't so sure that we would end up promoting him or not, but he certainly played his way into the reserves with his performance last year.  Wether or not he kicks on at reserve level is another matter entirely.  He doesn't seem to have any qualities that immediately jump out at you and make you think 'hey there is something special about him,' but he does seem efficient and well rounded, and I am looking forward to seeing him over more 90 minute periods.

I think Mavinga would be the type that would always need to be paired with a big bruising type of CB.  Him and Ayala are a good combo because Ayala is no nonsense and good in the air, and if he ever gets caught out for pace, Mavinga usually has enough to cover. I imagine the partnership would work the same way with Kyrgiakos.
JoeTerp

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:22 pm

JoeTerp wrote:I like Michael Roberts, but I wouldn't be putting any money on him.  He is an interesting story.  He was mostly playing second fiddle to Pepper in his first season in the U18s, but really emerged last year and played very well.  In his first season he was more of the defensive minded player, and he didn't exactly do poorly, but Pepper caught more attention.  Then Pepper fell out of favor for one reason or another, and young Coady came into the team as the defensive midfielder, allowing Roberts to play further forward.

After his first season, I wasn't so sure that we would end up promoting him or not, but he certainly played his way into the reserves with his performance last year.  Wether or not he kicks on at reserve level is another matter entirely.  He doesn't seem to have any qualities that immediately jump out at you and make you think 'hey there is something special about him,' but he does seem efficient and well rounded, and I am looking forward to seeing him over more 90 minute periods.

I think Mavinga would be the type that would always need to be paired with a big bruising type of CB.  Him and Ayala are a good combo because Ayala is no nonsense and good in the air, and if he ever gets caught out for pace, Mavinga usually has enough to cover. I imagine the partnership would work the same way with Kyrgiakos.

A good summary Joe although I feel personally that the likes of Roberts certainly has it in his locker to become a top defensive midfielder he is 100% committed in his tackling and reminds me of a young Lee Bowyer with his simple yet effective distribution ..

Here's a question for you have you seen the lad we have just sent to Blackburn's Academy Thomas Williams I watched him in the under 15s at Anfield when they played Cambridge & District  ...and he was one of the fastest players I have ever seen ... they won 8 nil and the lad they are calling the new Rooney  Ryan Cox scored 5 goals but this Williams lad scored a cracker and was the catalyst for virtually every good move they  created .... I am just scratching my head as to why he is at Blackburn now    ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:57 pm

I have heard of Ryan Cox but not Williams.  Raheem Sterling is pretty fast, so is Toni Silva; both technically gifted as well.  Amoo also has a lot of both pace and power, but needs to work on decision making and his delivery.
JoeTerp

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:17 pm

JoeTerp wrote:I have heard of Ryan Cox but not Williams.  Raheem Sterling is pretty fast, so is Toni Silva; both technically gifted as well.  Amoo also has a lot of both pace and power, but needs to work on decision making and his delivery.

Haven't seen much of Silva ...is he any good ?
but young Raheem certainly looks quick and tricky ,for me although a technically blessed player Sterling needs to adapt his game more to incorporate passing rather than trying the spectacular on every occasion ... I Like Ngoo as well looks a decent player capable of giving a torrid time to any defender
Looking forward to watching the reserves this season Joe especially given we will be watching the talent of Suzo and to a lesser extent Bruna who needs to step up his game ,but is well capable of doing exactly that (his free kicks are brilliantly executed ).....All in all  its an exciting young team
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:10 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:I have heard of Ryan Cox but not Williams.  Raheem Sterling is pretty fast, so is Toni Silva; both technically gifted as well.  Amoo also has a lot of both pace and power, but needs to work on decision making and his delivery.

Haven't seen much of Silva ...is he any good ?
but young Raheem certainly looks quick and tricky ,for me although a technically blessed player Sterling needs to adapt his game more to incorporate passing rather than trying the spectacular on every occasion ... I Like Ngoo as well looks a decent player capable of giving a torrid time to any defender
Looking forward to watching the reserves this season Joe especially given we will be watching the talent of Suzo and to a lesser extent Bruna who needs to step up his game ,but is well capable of doing exactly that (his free kicks are brilliantly executed ).....All in all  its an exciting young team

Silva is electric. Typical Portuguese technique in a wonderkid, but with good size, strength, and pace.

I'm sure they will teach Raheem how to play with teammates overtime.  Its good to know that he has tricks up his sleeve if he needs em.  Would much rather have to put a leash on an overly creative player than to try and encourage someone to be more creative than they feel comfortable doing.

Ngoo is such an enigma.  He has soooo many qualities that make him absolutely unplayable when they are all working.  They played him on the left wing for a couple months last year, and it freaked me out seeing someone that tall out wide.  He is so deceptively nimble with his feet, sort of like Crouchie, maybe even better.

Bruna has actually been developing fine.  He was really making progress during last year, but then suffered an injury which really hurt his season, and then when he came back, they played him on the right, which is really his 3rd position.  His best position is behind the striker and thats where he is playing while Pacheco is away.  He scored and set up a goal against Oldham at the weekend though.  He also takes a mean set piece.  He is pretty good on the left too, but he has to be in a free flowing side to be effective out there because he is good at playing 1-2s, spotting runs and slipping in through balls.  He has enough of a trick on him to make room for a cross, but not enough pace to really put the fear of god into defenders when running at them.  Also his crossing is not currently at the same level as his dead ball delivery, but there haven't been a lot of great targets in the reserves lately either. He is capable of making some incredible touches; saw him trap a ball on a 60 yard goal kick like he was catching an egg once, it was pretty unreal. Needs to work on keeping his concentration level up for all 90 minutes as he can drift in an out of games, although that is sort of the nature of playing out wide.This is probably his make or break season though.  He might see a loan spell at some point and I hope he impresses.  All our wingers are in their late 20s, so hopefully a young one will step up.
JoeTerp

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:36 pm

Going to be taking my lad to watch the reserves at Prenton Park a lot this season ,so I am looking forward to seeing some of these promising youngsters......... anyway thanks for the info Joe ... Cheers lad
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:54 pm

its live on the offal :nod made up
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games