THAILAND VS LIVERPOOL - Wednesday 22 july 2009 14:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ElNino9 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:46 am

Liverpool begin their Asian tour with a fixture against the Thailand national team on Wednesday.

A familiar face will lead the opposition out against the Reds - former Everton midfielder Peter Reid took charge in September 2008.

Reid is joined by former Tranmere and Liverpool youth goalkeeper Steve Darby who has managed clubs in nearby Singapore and Malaysia.

The Reds met the Thai national side prior to the 2003-04 campaign and ran out 3-1 winners with goals coming from Emile Heskey and a Vladimir Smicer double.
ElNino9

Postby ste123lfc » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:49 am

Is it on telly?
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby ElNino9 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:53 am

Only live on the LFCtv website.
ElNino9

Postby Madmax » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:28 pm

Goals please... So far both games have been a bag of shyte!! Anyhow good workout for hte lads.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:14 pm

well its ElNinos turn to see what result he can bring around. The goals will come we just need to put a strong side out, which he probably will do very sson because the league starts in three weeks. I'm gonna say 3:1 :)
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby ElNino9 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:50 pm

27-0, Villareal did it!
ElNino9

Postby Madmax » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:00 pm

ElNino9 wrote:27-0, Villareal did it!

yeah lol what a scoreline.. Trying to catch the highlight of that match
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ElNino9 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:02 pm

DAY ONE WITH THE REDS IN THAILAND
Paul Eaton in Bangkok 20 July 2009 

It's been a hectic first day in Thailand for the Reds - but we've been with them every step of the way as Rafael Benitez and his men have sparked scenes of joy in the capital.

It was supposed to be a low-key arrival into Bangkok's old airport when the Reds touched down earlier today, but that didn't stop hundreds of fanatical Reds from clinging onto all possible vantage points to watch their heroes emerge from their chartered plane. Fortunately most of the players had slept during the overnight flight so were able to smile for the cameras.

Such is Liverpool's popularity in Thailand, a local TV station have a permament presence in the team hotel - and cross live to speak to their on site presenter every time a Liverpool player wanders past. There are fans swarming around all floors of the hotel - apart from the team floor which has been secured.
There are even reports that members of the local fan clubs - who live in the city - have checked into the hotel this week to try and catch a glimpse of their idols.

And talking of presenters, LFC TV is clearly hugely popular in Thailand if the amount of people wanting their photograph taken with our very own Claire Rourke is anything to go by.

Press conferences abroad are often different animals to those at home with foreign media asking random question after random question. Our favourite from the opening press conference was a question aimed at the manager.

"Rafa, do you want Tom Hicks and George Gillett to sell their hockey teams so you can have more money?"

The boss laughed off the question - which was more than Ryan Babel could do when he was asked for his opinions on the swine flu outbreak.

Rafa had some nice words to say about Babel during the press conference, going out of his way to insist the Dutchman will be a hit this season. "He worked hard in the summer, he has come back fit and when you have that mentality then you will always improve," said the gaffer. No doubt a big confidence booster for Ryan to hear his boss talking in such glowing terms.

You'll Never Walk Alone is being played repeatedly on the hotel's in-house TV channel, featuring welcoming messages from Pepe Reina, Dirk Kuyt, Xabi Alonso and Steven Gerrard. A nice touch.

Of course Stevie is the one big name missing from the travelling party - and his good mate Carra was keen to pass on a message from the skipper. "Myself and Stevie have been here before and have always had enjoyable trips, so I know he is disappointed he can't be here this time. He will be doing his fitness work back home and I'm sure he'll be ready for us for the start of the season."

The players enjoyed a light work-out at a local sports club this afternoon - but the real action on the training field begins on Tuesday with a double session as the players gear up for Wednesday's friendly at the National Stadium

The man with the biggest smile in the hotel today is Steve McMahon, the man whose Profitable Group has made this tour happen. "I'm so proud to see Liverpool FC in the Far East and to have been a part of making it happen is fantastic," he beamed. We'll hear more from Steve on the website tomorrow.

The players rounded off their first day in Thailand by attending a welcome reception at which dozens of local fans got a dream opportunity to have a photograph with their heroes. Even after a long flight and a gruelling first day, the players still had a smile and a kind word for everyone before retiring for some much-needed sleep.

ElNino9

Postby ElNino9 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:04 pm

ElNino9

Postby Liverpool KAIGELS » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:44 am

This is terrible , the reds are playing in between my country . This on north on thailand and next they will be going to singapore which is in the south , and i'm stuck with the bloody mancs playing in my country :(
Liverpool KAIGELS

Postby Keris » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:16 am

Liverpool KAIGELS wrote:This is terrible , the reds are playing in between my country . This on north on thailand and next they will be going to singapore which is in the south , and i'm stuck with the bloody mancs playing in my country :(

Twice in the space of 3 days.
I'm running out of things to vomit.
Keris
LFC Super Member

Postby ElNino9 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:38 pm

KENNY AND DIRK THRILL THAI KIDS
Paul Eaton in Bangkok 21 July 2009 

Kenny Dalglish and Dirk Kuyt made dreams come true in Thailand earlier today when they put local kids through their paces at an adidas sports clinic.

In the surroundings of the Chulalongkorn Stdaium, Dirk and Kenny first answered questions from the assembled media before going out onto the field - along with members of the club's community coaching team - to show off their skills and help the lucky youngsters improve their talents.

Even though the hot weather made conditions almost unbearable - "I only went in goal and started sweating," joked Kenny - the smiles on the kids faces at the end of the session ensured Liverpool had made yet another positive impression during their visit to Thailand.

"The standard was quite high actually," said Kuyt. "The most important thing was to see the kids enjoying themselves and having fun.

"It was a bit strange giving the clinic alongside Kenny because he was a hero of mine, and so to then be with him helping kids was fantastic. We really enjoyed ourselves out there, and it's great that the club can do so many positive things while we are over here."

Unsurprisingly, Dalglish also received a rapturous ovation when he entered the arena and he was pleased to play his part in giving the locals an afternoon they'll never forget.

"We put them through their paces for a bit and the lads did well," he said. "It's never easy in this heat but everyone seemed to be having a good time and it was fun to be involved.

"Dirk probably did a bit more than me because he has younger legs, but it was good to get back out onto the field again and run around a bit."

But does he see a future for Dirk as a coach?

"I think Dirk has the right mentality and professionalism to do whatever he wants to do," he added.

"He's very attentive and well mannered and well liked in the dressing room. If it's something he wants to do then why not?"

The Liverpool squad were split up today to undertake a series of commercial events.

While Kenny and Dirk were at the adidas clinic, several members of the squad went to an adidas store while others took part in events hosted by club sponsors Carlsberg.

Those players not involved in any of these events went to the Grand Palace in Bangkok, pictures of which you'll be able to see later today on Liverpoolfc.tv.
ElNino9

Postby ElNino9 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:42 pm

ElNino9

Postby ElNino9 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:46 pm

Image    :laugh:  :laugh:

ElNino9

Postby ElNino9 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:54 pm

TRAINING:

ElNino9

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games