LIVERPOOL vs Southampton: Saturday 21 Sept 2013 - 3pm KO

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby redno7 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Image vs Image

League position : Liverpool 1st   vs  Southampton 11th

Form guide :  Liverpool - W W W D    vs   Southampton - W D L D

With the Mancs playing each other this weekend nothing short of a convincing victory will do. We can stretch our lead at the top!

Interesting facts about our visitors town...

Most of Southampton’s residents are b@stard children, and are quite often born with horrific disfigurements, primarily because of the sailors that stopped off for a few days to do their “business”, spread tropical STD’s then jump back aboard their vessels and sail off into the sunset, never to be seen again – no one visits Southampton twice. The lack of father figures has resulted in a higher than average crime rate.
With an imbalance between permanent female and male residents in Southampton, most women are the sole bread-winners in their households. The number one occupation is prostitution, and the highest earners tend to be those with the least amount of bodily defects.

Lets stuff em
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby mkingdom » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:29 pm

The big talking point will be what to do in Coutinho's absence before Suarez returns. His loss against Swansea saw us look drab and devoid of ideas so someone needs to spark some creativity.

There's also the quandry of right back and if Agger is fit. I assume he won't be.

I think Gerrard's days of playing number ten are over, so I think we'll go with something like this

Mignolet

Toure    Skrtel    Sakho     Enrique

Henderson  Lucas  Gerrard

Aspas      Sturridge    Moses

or a slightly more adventurous line up and my preferred would be

Mignolet

Toure    Skrtel    Sakho     Enrique

Lucas   Gerrard

Aspas     Alberto   Moses

Sturridge

A win is always vital, but at home versus an out of form team, we have to now push on and consolidate our good start.

I predict 3-1  Sturridge, Aspas, Gerrard
mkingdom

Postby redno7 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:57 pm

Could be a game for Alberto to step up.
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:42 pm

Most of Southampton’s residents are b@stard children, and are quite often born with horrific disfigurements, primarily because of the sailors that stopped off for a few days to do their “business”, spread tropical STD’s then jump back aboard their vessels and sail off into the sunset, never to be seen again – no one visits Southampton twice. The lack of father figures has resulted in a higher than average crime rate.
With an imbalance between permanent female and male residents in Southampton, most women are the sole bread-winners in their households. The number one occupation is prostitution, and the highest earners tend to be those with the least amount of bodily defects.

I've missed you starting match threads Lee   :D

If we can combat the power of Schneiderlin in their midfield and deny Lallana the space he needs to play then we can take all three points ,but
a match against this current Southampton team is definitely no easy game. I expect us to win ,but it will be an abrasive affair in that midfield
and I just hope Lucas and Gerrard are on their respective game for this encounter.
Last edited by RED BEERGOGGLES on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:51 pm

This game will be very difficult.

We won it 1-0 last year and this time we have no Suarez. Okay we have Sturridge but Suarez is alot better.

Id take any win

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Going to be tough ! I'm unbeaten in match threads this season - should have let me start the thread ;)

Hopefully Kelly will play after he played well the other night

Pepe

Kelly
Skrtel
Agger
Enrique

Gerrard
Henderson
Lucas

Moses
Sturridge
Aspas

Haven't got many other options really

Going to be a struggle to combat against their midfield - Wanyama will be a key player for them
Benny The Noon

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:58 pm

I can't believe some of the negativity I've read regarding this game as if we're playing Real Madrid or something. It's Southampton. They've won 5 out of their last 20 league games and have scored a mighty 2 goals this season.

2-0 to us.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:13 pm

stmichael » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:58 pm wrote:I can't believe some of the negativity I've read regarding this game as if we're playing Real Madrid or something. It's Southampton. They've won 5 out of their last 20 league games and have scored a mighty 2 goals this season.

2-0 to us.

I don't believe the need for positivity should outweigh ,or in any capacity negate our worrying form in the second half of games mate.
If we're to genuinely believe we can stay at the top of the league then a need for a more realistic description of dogged teams like
Southampton who employ a rigid set up and have bought well in the last window ,needs to be adjusted.

In summary Southampton will give us a game ,and Schneiderlin is a veritable beast of a midfielder who could quite easily boss proceedings
against Gerrard and co if their application and concentration  is anything less than 100 % .

I hope I'm wrong and we play them off the park ,but in all seriousness this is a game against a team that can play a bit.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Hustler 2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Can't say with any conviction that we are going to win, or even score many goals, but any win will do.

We should make it four wins seeing as it's only Southampton.
Get down and Boogie !!!!
Hustler 2
LFC Advanced Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:22 pm

stmichael » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:58 pm wrote:I can't believe some of the negativity I've read regarding this game as if we're playing Real Madrid or something. It's Southampton. They've won 5 out of their last 20 league games and have scored a mighty 2 goals this season.

2-0 to us.

I don't believe the need for positivity should outweigh ,or in any capacity negate our worrying form in the second half of games mate.
If we're to genuinely believe we can stay at the top of the league then a need for a more realistic description of dogged teams like
Southampton who employ a rigid set up and have bought well in the last window ,needs to be adjusted.

In summary Southampton will give us a game ,and Schneiderlin is a veritable beast of a midfielder who could quite easily boss proceedings
against Gerrard and co if their application and concentration  is anything less than 100 % .

I hope I'm wrong and we play them off the park ,but in all seriousness this is a game against a team that can play a bit.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:30 pm

Southampton had a decent summer. I think Wanyama in there could cause us all sort of problems, especially without Coutinho. He's a good player, one I really wish we would've gone after, and if he starts giving them control of the midfield, you know what happens to us.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby damjan193 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:27 pm

redno7 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:27 pm wrote:Interesting facts about our visitors town...

What the f*ck  :laugh:

Anyway, Swansea away was a tough match which I expected us to draw, but if we want keep challenging for whatever we're challenging for in the league, we must win in games like these. Southampton at home (and the following 4 league games for that matter) are games where we should be getting full points.

Make no mistake though, Southampton are far from a bad team. Our obviously fragile midfield will find it hard to deal with Schneiderlin and the physical presence of Wanyama, and players like Lambert, Osvaldo and Lallana are dangerous attackers and are definitely going to be hard to handle. On the other hand, while their team looks good on paper, their results don't look very impressive, knowing that they played against weaker teams. They've scored only 2 goals so far.

As for us, unfortunately we're missing key players. Wisdom shouldn't be starting, but I don't think Kelly is fit enough yet. I'd start with Kolo at RB, especially if Agger isn't fit to start as CB. The biggest problem is obviously Coutinho. Although Alberto scored a hat-trick for the u21s, he looked like he was a bit lucky to be honest and Sterling looked like he had a far bigger contribution and influence in the game (judging from the highlights). But then again, Sterling isn't the kind of player we need as he isn't the creative passer sort of a player. I really don't know who should we be starting instead of Coutinho. There's Allen as well of course (if he's fit?).
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Hustler 2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:46 pm

Team:
                    Mignolet
      Toure Sakho Agger. Enrique
           Hendo. Gerrard. Lucas
           Aspas. Sturridge Moses

I cant see him playing anything else, with no other options. Unless he gambles on Alberto or Sterling?

Prediction: 2-0 - sturridge + gerrard.

Get down and Hustler Booooogiiiieeeee!! :p
Get down and Boogie !!!!
Hustler 2
LFC Advanced Member

Postby redno7 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:11 am

Benny The Noon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:56 pm wrote:Going to be tough ! I'm unbeaten in match threads this season - should have let me start the thread ;)

I've no problem with you starting all future match threads but put some effort into them mate  :laugh: 

no offense but your match thread openers are full of facts with stats and figures and blah blah yaaawwnn. At least I try to raise a smile with some bizzare facts or a half dressed female!

anyway, as you were...

Should be a win, no excuse to lose this one...     

Liverpool 3 - 0 Southampton (Moses, Sturridge 2)
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby radun5 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:25 pm

redno7 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:11 am wrote:
no offense but your match thread openers are full of facts with stats and figures and blah blah yaaawwnn. At least I try to raise a smile with some bizzare facts or a half dressed female!

You mean you try to raise a smile with a bizzarre (old) woman and some half dressed facts !  :D
radun5

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games