Sunderland vs Liverpool 15 SEPT 2012 17:30 KO

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:58 pm

stmichael » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:49 pm wrote:we can't change things though, that's the problem. when downing is your main option off the bench that proves just how limited and threadbare the squad is.

Weve got what weve got. People going on about it is not going to change anything.
I actually thought Downing livened things up when he came on and with Sterling on the other wing we were more of a threat than we have been in a long time
Thommo's perm

Postby only me » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:09 pm

We had more then enough chances to win the game ,Shelvy ,Borrini ,Johnson ,Gerrad ,Sterling ,Suarez all i remember at the moment with good open chances to score....But it's not a coincidence our failure to sign a top form striker is our greatest weakness at the moment. We ALL said not signing a striker was a huge mistake ,guess what we were right. I always say a pair of healty eyes and some basic common sense would make most fans good football managers ,how we missed the striker postiion is yet to be studied. In the meantime hope for the best prepare for the worst.

BTW - i would drop Gerrard from the first team ,Give Sahin his run at the game ,Stevie is really poor at the moment.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:14 pm

Thommo's perm » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:58 pm wrote:
stmichael » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:49 pm wrote:we can't change things though, that's the problem. when downing is your main option off the bench that proves just how limited and threadbare the squad is.

Weve got what weve got. People going on about it is not going to change anything.
I actually thought Downing livened things up when he came on and with Sterling on the other wing we were more of a threat than we have been in a long time

If it's one thing introducing Downing achieved it's stretching them, we finally had some width on both sides of the pitch. Other than that he has this thing about passing to the centre circle or just screwing things up. I struggle to think of a good ball he put in today
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby stmichael » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:28 pm

i'd actually consider playing downing at left back if enrique is out. i don't really like johnson there although he's done well whenever asked to do so.

borini i thought was really poor and i'm still perplexed as to what he is. he's not a wide man and he's not physically imposing enough to lead the line. suarez doesn't want to lead the line either. i agree that gerrard has been poor recently but as i keep saying i wouldn't have him in the midfield three. with our inability to create and score we need him as close to the goal as possible so he needs to be in the front three, probably at borini's expense.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby parchpea » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:56 pm

Suarez aside we have no cutting edge and we overpaid double for Borini.

No surprises really, you can play the ball around all day but without an
end product its worthless.

A lad of 17 is our most dynamic player and that says a lot about where
we are at this point.

Mid table fodder but debt free right, walk on  :buttrock   :glare:
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby The Hustler » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:07 am

Lets resemble. An lfc team shall we!!'?
The Hustler
LFC Advanced Member

Postby alwayslfc » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:41 am

Are you guys looking forward to the ManUtd game? I'm not, this is the game I've been dreading the most. This game, I am very sure, we'll have a lot of good possession, hit the b.loody woodwork countless times, create lots of goal scoring opportunities and yet will struggle to score because our poor owners refused to invest in a striker during the last window. And the end of 90 minutes, it will be at least a 2-0 win for those b.astards and their fans will have a field day ridiculing us and we'll be in bottom 3. If the owners are still stubborn about not investing in the team after the Jan window, we'll be fighting for 4th place all right, yes 4th from bottom. Right now, I'll be glad if we are still in the PL next season.
alwayslfc

Postby Boocity » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:19 am

I agree with Thommo, we've got what we've got until January, moaning and cursing the owners is'nt going to change anything, I liked the way we play although I do get a bit nervous of the passing around our penalty area. I reckon we will start to come good when the players get used to the system.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:29 am

alwayslfc » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:41 am wrote:Are you guys looking forward to the ManUtd game? I'm not, this is the game I've been dreading the most. This game, I am very sure, we'll have a lot of good possession, hit the b.loody woodwork countless times, create lots of goal scoring opportunities and yet will struggle to score because our poor owners refused to invest in a striker during the last window. And the end of 90 minutes, it will be at least a 2-0 win for those b.astards and their fans will have a field day ridiculing us and we'll be in bottom 3. If the owners are still stubborn about not investing in the team after the Jan window, we'll be fighting for 4th place all right, yes 4th from bottom. Right now, I'll be glad if we are still in the PL next season.

EVERYBODY PANIC  :help
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Boxscarf » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:03 pm

Knowing us we'll beat United next weekend.
Boxscarf

Postby Greavesie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:14 pm

Boxscarf » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:03 pm wrote:Knowing us we'll beat United next weekend.

Is that a smidge of positivity I read?  :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Roger Red Hat » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:10 pm

a point away to sunderland and a win against united. I'd take that any day of the week mate,
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Hustler » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:18 pm

Boxscarf » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:03 pm wrote:Knowing us we'll beat United next weekend.

We need to.
The Hustler
LFC Advanced Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:02 pm

I don't envisage many teams will return from The Stadium Of Light with maximum points ,Martin O'Neil has his team well drilled ,and although not
pleasant on the eye it will prove effective . As for Rodgers well at least the man is sticking to his principles and playing in the fashion he believes
will eventually prove fruitful ,I actually thought we played some lovely one touch football and are slowly starting to dictate possession with our passing.

I honestly believe Rodgers will definitely get this right if he is afforded patience and the time to force home his style of play ,lets face it the man seems
resolute in retaining the same formation and shape so its looking promising in that respect.

YNWA
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:51 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:02 pm wrote:I don't envisage many teams will return from The Stadium Of Light with maximum points ,Martin O'Neil has his team well drilled ,and although not
pleasant on the eye it will prove effective . As for Rodgers well at least the man is sticking to his principles and playing in the fashion he believes
will eventually prove fruitful ,I actually thought we played some lovely one touch football and are slowly starting to dictate possession with our passing.

I honestly believe Rodgers will definitely get this right if he is afforded patience and the time to force home his style of play ,lets face it the man seems
resolute in retaining the same formation and shape so its looking promising in that respect.

YNWA

the thing is though mate swansea had trouble converting possession into goals and at the moment we are having the same trouble ourselves.
for all the talk of total football our 3 goals have come right out of the stoke city handbook, 2 have them were from set pieces and the third was a scrappy goal after a defensive error by titus bramble, if we had to solely rely on `barcelona style` passing to open teams up we wouldnt have a single goal in 4 games.
whatever formation, system or philosophy you use, wether you play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or use a christmas tree formation or whatever, wether you hoof the ball downfield or wether you knock it around like the 1970 brazil side it is all a means to an end, the idea of the game is to stick the ball in the opposition`s net and at the moment we arent doing that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games