SUNDERLAND VS LIVERPOOL - Saturday 17th october, 3pm.

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:54 pm

why not play Carra or Agger in holding midfield?
JoeTerp

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:46 pm

I don't think we'll get anything from this game with our current midfield problems.  :censored: hate international breaks with a passion.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Scottbot » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:45 am

JoeTerp wrote:why not play Carra or Agger in holding midfield?

Either player could do it Joe but i'd rather see one of the kids (Spearing or Plessis) given a go. If they don't get a game then we'd just as well concede that neither of them will ever be good enough.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:20 am

i'm not too confident about getting anything out of this game, to be honest. gerrard and torres - our only real goal threats - are nursing injuries and even if they play may not be at 100%. mascherano and lucas arrive back in the uk today and probably don't even know what day it is. kuyt is apparently nursing an ankle knock after the internationals.

so without our two main goalscorers, our midfield battler, and our right sided workhorse we are significantly weakened against a decent sunderland side on their home turf. the only real positive is that agger may be back  and give us some quality and composure in the defence. we'll need it as sunderland will probably be able to wander through our midfield as and when they see fit.

in just about any other week i might go along with the idea of risking gerrard and/or torres for at least a part of the game. however, we have two huge games coming up with lyon and the mancs and we need our strongest possible starting elevens to get something out of those games. i'm not saying we should be writing this one off, but it may just be a case of damage limitation. if our bit part players can play to their full potential then we might just be able to nick something but i think we might have to be happy with a draw this weekend.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:49 am

Scottbot wrote:

Either player could do it Joe but i'd rather see one of the kids (Spearing or Plessis) given a go. If they don't get a game then we'd just as well concede that neither of them will ever be good enough.

Plessis played away against Suderland last season. Had a bit of a shocker if I remember. Alonso came on and completely transformed the game.

Agree about central midfield though. Who plays in there is anyone's guess. Whoever it is they'll have to be bloody combative though. That's what Cattermole and Cana are above anything else. May not be the greatest footballers in the world but they'll be well up for as scrap. That's why Mascherano has to play imo regardless of what time he arrives back today.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Greavesie » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:19 pm

Plessis played away against Suderland last season. Had a bit of a shocker if I remember. Alonso came on and completely transformed the game.

I was there that day, my God he was shocking, couldnt play a pass whatsoever.

I also remember the debate on here about Alonso changing the game n all, good times :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby stmichael » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:25 pm

by the way, zenden's just signed for sunderland
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:38 pm

Someone on RAWK has said Torres will be out for the next three or 4 games  :down:  :no
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:47 pm

Ciggy wrote:Someone on RAWK has said Torres will be out for the next three or 4 games  :down:  :no

oh my lord  :sniffle

really hope this is a load of b0llocks tho
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:26 pm

I think we'll see a patched up side figuring one or both of Torres/Gerrard, Benayoun, Riera, Masch or Lucas and possibly Kuyt (if I was to put money on anyone shaking of an injury in no time, it'd be on him). Spearing would be the other one to come into midfield if Gerrard doesn't play in there.

This is the kind of game where I can see us playing dull football and nicking it 1-0; penalty, free-kick, Kuyt shinner et al.
LFC2007

Postby Owzat » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:30 pm

Scottbot wrote:

Play a CB who's not having a great season in midfield when he's not a great passer or playmaker - terrific idea.

Agger is not such a bad shout, but we get back to the Aurelio as a CM debate. Whatever we pick should be positive, we're now at the point we can't afford to drop points in games like this.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:51 pm

five live reporting that gerrard is out aswell  :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:55 pm

Happy :censored: days. Both teams had qualified going into these games so what was the urgency to play them? I know we used to laugh and point in the past when Ronaldo or whoever pulled out 'injured' before an international game in the past so they could return to their club but we need to be doing the same. Especially when our squad is already so thin.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:56 pm

Greavesie wrote:
Ciggy wrote:Someone on RAWK has said Torres will be out for the next three or 4 games  :down:  :no

oh my lord  :sniffle

really hope this is a load of b0llocks tho

Yeah this better be b0llocks, it would be a major blow to be without Torres let alone for this game but particularly the Lyon and Manc games (somehow I don't suspect Vidic and Rio would be all that terrified about being up against neither Babel, Voronin nor N'gog... or even Kuyt as a lone striker for that matter) :down:. As I said though, fingers crossed it is a load of shyte.

Edit: just seen St. Mike's post about Stevie supposedly being out against Sunderland aswell :angry:. If both are out I agree with other posters we might have to be happy even getting a draw I'm afraid.
JamCar05

Postby tubby » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:57 pm

Scottbot wrote:

Joe what are you on mate?

I think it's time for Jay Spearing to be given a chance. I really hope to god Rafa does not try to play Aurelio in the centre again.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games