Zenden - Short term solution to the rw?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jammydodger » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:15 pm

What do you think?

My view was that, he is clearly short of pace, and therefore rarely has the pace to get past the full back and to the byeline to cross the ball, so his only realistic option is to cross from deep.

As that stands, we all know his right foot isn't brilliant, but because he cant get to the byeline, a good right foot isn't essential. And as he has been crossing from deep this season, it will be easy for him to cut in, onto his left and whip in an inswinging cross, which is always difficult for goalies to handle.
jammydodger

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:23 pm

i'd play kewell there when he gets fit.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JohnBull » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:27 pm

He was player of the season last year at Boro but played in a more central role.
No RW but he's still a good player but where do you fit him in in the middle ?
I'll never wait for Ned Kelly to "come good" - no heart, no bottle,and often, no interest
Last edited by JohnBull on Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liverpoolrich » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:27 pm

may i ask whats wrong with garcia  ???
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Postby jammydodger » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:28 pm

Garcia???

Yeah, it's great when he scores the odd wonder goal, but he drifts inside to frequently, his first touch is terrible and he gives the ball away far too easily.
jammydodger

Postby liverpoolrich » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:33 pm

jammydodger wrote:Garcia???

Yeah, it's great when he scores the odd wonder goal, but he drifts inside to frequently, his first touch is terrible and he gives the ball away far too easily.

but hes gonna be our best shot at rw and zenden is a class lw lets leave him there
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Postby JC_81 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:36 pm

liverpoolrich wrote:may i ask whats wrong with garcia  ???

Exactly mate :bowdown

Garcia played on the right for pretty much all of last season and imo he was one of our most important players last year.  He got some very important goals.  Ok he still gives the ball away too much and the reason he cuts in too much is that he's actually left footed.  But he's still pretty effective there.

We need a right winger no doubt about that, but Garcia was good enough last season as a stop-gap and he'll be good enough until January too :nod
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Afroman » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:36 pm

liverpoolrich wrote:
jammydodger wrote:Garcia???

but hes gonna be our best shot at rw and zenden is a class lw lets leave him there

No he isn't.
I agree with st mick Kewell might be good down that side.
Then Garcia can play more centrally
Afroman
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jammydodger » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:49 pm

I'm sorry,

But i personally would be disappointed if Benitez persists with Garcia on the right, when it is clear he doesn't know the first thing about playing as a winger..
jammydodger

Postby El Nino_#9 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:54 pm

as i have said before, i am hoping to see kewell on the right for us this season.
he had a few great games for us there in his first season. he can get crosses in with his right foot as well as his left. plus he can cut inside and curl a few shots in the top corner. the goal against levski sofia comes to mind in the UEFA cup.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:36 pm

john craig wrote:Garcia played on the right for pretty much all of last season and imo he was one of our most important players last year.  He got some very important goals.  Ok he still gives the ball away too much and the reason he cuts in too much is that he's actually left footed.  But he's still pretty effective there.

We need a right winger no doubt about that, but Garcia was good enough last season as a stop-gap and he'll be good enough until January too :nod

JC , Garcia was only effective when he did cut inside (sometimes he was awesome) but as an out and out RM/RW he was abysmal and your assertion that he was "good enough as a stop gap" is imo laughable.If we don't have a RW capable of beating and going past people down the line and putting in a decent cross for the likes of  Morientes and Crouch  we should at least employ someone to  make our right flank safe and solid ,someone who can at least put in a decent diagonal ball and defend down the right .Looking at our squad Finnan strikes me as the only realistic option for that role .
Having said all of that I have to admit that I am totally fu'cked off that we have not been able to fulfill such a glaring requirement in the teams make up and i'm tired of watching quality LFC players having their reputations damaged and their abilities stifled by being forced to play as "square pegs in round holes "

Lets face it ,even before the window opened it wasn't only rafa that knew we needed a RW/RM  most lfc fans knew that this time last year  ! 
I still can't believe that a year on a club such as ours has found it impossible to sign a decent player for that position ,  :angry:

ps , don't get me started on the equally long running CD question .   :veryangry

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stoney » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:43 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
john craig wrote:Garcia played on the right for pretty much all of last season and imo he was one of our most important players last year.  He got some very important goals.  Ok he still gives the ball away too much and the reason he cuts in too much is that he's actually left footed.  But he's still pretty effective there.

JC , Garcia was only effective when he did cut inside (sometimes he was awesome) but as an out and out RM/RW he was abysmal and your assertion that he was "good enough as a stop gap" is imo laughable.If we don't have a RW capable of beating and going past people down the line and putting in a decent cross for the likes of  Morientes and Crouch  we should at least employ someone to  make our right flank safe and solid ,someone who can at least put in a decent diagonal ball and defend down the right .Looking at our squad Finnan strikes me as the only realistic option for that role .
Having said all of that I have to admit that I am totally fu'cked off that we have not been able to fulfill such a glaring requirement in the teams make up and i'm tired of watching quality LFC players having their reputations damaged and their abilities stifled by being forced to play as "square pegs in round holes "

Lets face it ,even before the window opened it wasn't only rafa that knew we needed a RW/RM  most lfc fans knew that this time last year  ! 
I still can't believe that a year on a club such as ours has found it impossible to sign a decent player for that position ,  :angry:

ps , don't get me started on the equally long running CD question .   :veryangry

:D

why bring doom and gloom in here woof lad :no  :D
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:36 pm

:D[/quote]
why bring doom and gloom in here woof lad :no  :D[/quote]
Your Smiley is noted , That aside ,whats your opinion ?   :kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:04 pm

Kewell for the rightside more than zenden
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsforever » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:29 pm

Yup Kewells better on the right, wudnt be good to play zenden out of position. Hopfully we can get mark gonzalez in as soon as possible so that we wont have a problem there.
The rafalution begins.. Happy Days!!
redsforever

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion