Zenden - Short term solution to the rw?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 2520years » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:44 pm

I like Riise too, he always gives 100%, even when things aren't going well for the team.  However, he has been out of form this season so far.

With Riise on form, I'd play him in midfield and Warnock at left back.  Zenden has to improve a lot before I'd want to play him.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby tubby » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:13 am

Riise hasnt had a chance to play yet. His onyl start i think has been against TNS at home and he playd well then.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:20 am

bavlondon wrote:Riise hasnt had a chance to play yet. His onyl start i think has been against TNS at home and he playd well then.

I agree, i dont really think Riise has been given a fair crack of the whip so far this season.
Maybe its because he has looked a bit poor in training, or it is more likely to be the fact that Rafa signed Zenden and wants to give him a chance to make an impact.
But imo Riise offers far more to the team.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:02 pm

Have to say I've been very dissapointed with Zenden so far this season, It's been like watching Garcia in a blonde wig without the trickery and wonder goals. Risse would deffinately be my choice for the left side, he's the fittest player at the club, always gives 100% and can make things happen with one of his busy runs or powerful shots. In short, as has been mentioned before I think Riise brings a lot more to the team in general.

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:24 pm

The_Rock wrote:Lets just play gerrard at right wing. And with rafa's preferance with 3 central midfielders....this is how the team would line up...

Goal
                           Defence
                        Hamann   Alonso         
    Gerrard                 Sissoko          Zenden/Risse
                                Striker

With a midfield of hamann, Alonso, Gerrard & Sissoko we will be hard to break down. And if we score a goal at the other end....1-0 to us  :D

and mid game Alonso or Hamann limp off with an injury, who do we bring on??
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:57 pm

Lee J wrote:
The_Rock wrote:Lets just play gerrard at right wing. And with rafa's preferance with 3 central midfielders....this is how the team would line up...

Goal
                           Defence
                        Hamann   Alonso         
    Gerrard                 Sissoko          Zenden/Risse
                                Striker

With a midfield of hamann, Alonso, Gerrard & Sissoko we will be hard to break down. And if we score a goal at the other end....1-0 to us  :D

and mid game Alonso or Hamann limp off with an injury, who do we bring on??

ffs leej, aint it obvious??!

we bring on someone else  :laugh:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:56 pm

Its true Zendens not really made that much oif an impact. He seems to try to run with the ball and justrun into players. In the super cup he did this 2 or 3 times. There were other times where Risse was making a run and begging for the ball ( we all know how good Riise can peel away from defenders and whip in a perfect cross) but Zenden went for the spectacular through ball (he must have been watching Alonso too much in training LOL) and just gavce the ball away. Although i was happy we signed him i think he is way past his sell by date. He may still only be 27/28 but for me hes not the player he was at Barca. I think once we sign that elusive right winger and/or Gonazales in the Jan window, it will send Zenden to the bench, which is quite frankly where he belongs. Hes just an experienced sub who can have a pop every now and again.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:09 pm

I said before we signed him that I thought he is absolute garbage. One or two got on my case (remember Pires, support the team don't slag it etc etc). I've got to say that sofar, his performances have even disappointed me, he's worse than I thought. By far Rafa's worst piece of transfer business sofar in my view, and I include Nunez, Pelligrino and Josemi in that equation. I'm pleased to say that sofar, Rafa has been big enough to admit an error, nice and quick too. Hopefully this trend will be followed with Zenden and my other current favourite, Morientes.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:48 pm

As for right wing, that indeed is a problem if Rafa allows it to be. We have to be creative. If I'm perfectly honest, I think we had the best central midfield in the Premiership anyway but now we’ve added the stand-out performer so far this season: Sissoko, we're even stronger in that area. Though young, at times rash, his boundless energy, enthusiasm has already won him several MOTM awards. Now here’s a simple question: who is the best right winger in the squad? I think it’s Steven Gerrard. Play a 4-5-1 with Crouch up top and a midfield quintet of (from right to left):

Gerrard  Sissoko  Alonso  Zenden  Garcia/Riise/Kewell

How good does that look? Play Zenden where he’s most effective, where he won Middlesborough player of the season: central midfield. Sure he’s not a Gerrard in the middle but Gerrard on the right would be devastating. Or play Hamann if you want to go defensive. Or play the enigmatic Garcia in his best position. Play Kewell if he’s ever fit otherwise play Riise. In fact, this formation is as solid as anyone in Europe, dare I say. That midfield has tons of energy, creativity, passing ability, defensive nous to match anyone in the premiership or Europe.

I would prefer Crouch up top simply because he has better ball control than Cisse (whose enthusiasm is infectious when he fights for the team instead of moaning). This is crucial in a 4-5-1 formation and allows him to bring others to play. Or play Crouch and Cisse at home when we play 4-4-2 against ‘lesser’ opposition.

We were never going to win the league this year and in a way I’m glad we didn’t get the men for these two positions because expectations would have been too high – seems they are already! People seem to have forgotten what type of team Rafa has turned into world beaters. Remember the Traore of 2 years ago. Even Riise. Maybe now expectations will be dampened a touch and this team will be able to grow into a more effective unit and come January/June when we can bring in new players, we’ll be in a better position to challenge. To beat Chelski and their deep pockets, we must be patient. This season might be a quiet one but I do believe we're moving in the right direction and we have the right man at the helm.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion