The left back situation - Is riise really the long term solution?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:56 pm

I ask this question because up until recently I don't think even Rafa knew the answer.

Obviously I think the general consensus will be that JAR is our best option at the current time. I think he's underrated to be honest in that his defensive play has improved in recent times and he can crack a ball better than any other player in the squad, possibly the premiership. However I'm still not totally convinced if he's the real deal in terms of nailing down that place on a long term basis.

Warnock impresses me with his aggression and i had high hopes for him at the start of the season. However his positional sense is still suspect and he lacks discipline. His development has also been set back about two-three years with shocking injuries.

Traore has the positional sense of a Japanese tourist and should be shipped out imo.

All in all, I suppose the point is, next season, would you be looking at getting a top class left back in or will JAR improve to the extent that he will be virtually undroppable from the side?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:08 pm

I've said a few times that I think we should get a top-notch leftback in.

Why the hell did Wayne Bridge go to f*cking FULHAM!?! I say - if he is a success there, we should nab him in the summer (not that Sh*tski will sell to us).

ST,
RM,
LB.
- the priorities in descending order as I see them.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:14 pm

Traore has to go, but I think;
- Warnock is more likely to improve than JAR because he's younger.
- as for JAR, it's pretty common that good attacking full-backs have dodgy positional sense at the back.

I like JAR and Warnock, they both give 100%, but I'm still not convinced either is really world class.  IMO I'd keep them both and try to coach improvements into Warnock.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:25 pm

i thought left back was one of the few places we were ok in. we got warnock and risse
(who is jar? i feel so dumb now)  - ((lol, finally worked it out))
we even got carragher who can cover there and traore if really need...

we need a striker and a winger, lets not keep playing fantasy football cheatski style
Last edited by dawson99 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:32 pm

What situation ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:49 pm

im starting to get scared ow me and leon are agreeing. should we do a centre mid situation now? :laugh:
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:29 am

dawson99 wrote:im starting to get scared ow me and leon are agreeing. should we do a centre mid situation now? :laugh:

No.

You should make like Roger and sh*g like bunnies!!!!!  :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:50 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:I've said a few times that I think we should get a top-notch leftback in.

Why the hell did Wayne Bridge go to f*cking FULHAM!?! I say - if he is a success there, we should nab him in the summer (not that Sh*tski will sell to us).

ST,
RM,
LB.
- the priorities in descending order as I see them.

Overated player. Riise's far better than Bridge, unless we can sign Ashley Cole i'm more than happy with Riise. He's as good as most in europe and he's still improving.
115-1073096938

Postby andy_g » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:36 pm

i don't remember us having too many problems down that side when riise is playing. people score against us by playing down that flank when traore is oon the field but its a different story with the norwegian. he's decent going forward and his defensive play is improving all the time, and of course the odd howitzer he gets on target is about as good as it gets. as the understanding between him and kewell improves i reckon we've got that side pretty much sewn up.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:58 pm

I don't rate Wayne Bridge at all..Warnock,Riise are much better than him...Warnock is probably the best long-term option but Riise is the best LB at the moment
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:35 am

I think Riise is an adequate LB for us both defensively and in attack.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:45 am

Riise will do the job and a good job at that, I dont think that we need to sign anyone for this position.

Unless Ashley Cole comes on the market for a tenner, then we are okay!
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1137139704 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:47 pm

stmichael wrote:Traore has the positional sense of a Japanese tourist and should be shipped out imo.

I read this post as i was leaving on friday and i particulary liked the 'imo' part :D

You're a nice MOD but obviously you'd make a poor coach.
Rafa gave Traore a new five year deal starting this season.
Traore was voted the most improved player last season and Rafa knows he's a valuable young player who can only get better.
Even carra was awful when he started playing as a central defender...he scored an own goal against the mans(is that forgivable?) twice the same season!!!

Or mebbe you are a better coach than Rafa?
I wonder if you have even coached kids from your area in local tournaments.

In Rafa we trust IMOH  :D
66-1137139704

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:24 pm

TRAORE IS SH|T

IMO

And most others opinion as well.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:33 pm

MudFace wrote:
stmichael wrote:Traore has the positional sense of a Japanese tourist and should be shipped out imo.

I read this post as i was leaving on friday and i particulary liked the 'imo' part :D

You're a nice MOD but obviously you'd make a poor coach.
Rafa gave Traore a new five year deal starting this season.
Traore was voted the most improved player last season and Rafa knows he's a valuable young player who can only get better.
Even carra was awful when he started playing as a central defender...he scored an own goal against the mans(is that forgivable?) twice the same season!!!

Or mebbe you are a better coach than Rafa?
I wonder if you have even coached kids from your area in local tournaments.

In Rafa we trust IMOH  :D

You deserve to be banned. You are nothing but a wind up merchant.

Firstly it was a four year contract.

Secondly, who voted him most improved player? I certainly didn't.

Thirdly, would you make a good coach? Just because someone has a lack of ability to judge a player doesn't mean they are a bad coach.

Fourth, Carragher was never awful. He's always from day one been a very good player. Players don't become good, you either have it, or you don't. You can't make diamonds out of shit.

Fifth, what does mebbe mean? Are you a woolyback? Have you ever been to a Liverpool match?

Sixth, so what if he hasn't coached kids? I coach kids, i have coached some excellent young players, i've played at a good level, you don't need to do this to see a player, although it helps its not the be all and end all.

Seventh, for you to even suggest he's a premiership player shows a lack of knowledge.

Eight, how many games has he played this season?

Nine, Rafa's bloody wrong and thats the end of it. Rafa can sit there all year and tell me Traore's a good player and i won't buy it. I know a good player when i see one and Traore isn't.

Ten, get lost you manc bastard.
115-1073096938

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion