Gerrard on the right - Short term solution?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:29 am

I'm not for one minute suggesting that gerrard should be moved out to the right on a permanent basis but thinking about it logically I don't think it would be a bad move in the short term, at least until we get a natural right winger in. We do have until the 31st August when the transfer window closes after all.

Think about it. He's got loads of pace and drive and he's without doubt our best crosser of a ball. Look at the ball he put in for Morientes last night. He'd take to it like a duck to water. Hell he can play anywhere. Last season he played central, wide right, right back and even as a second striker.

Central midfield is the one area where we are particularly strong. I'd have no qualms about Alonso and either Sissoko or Hamann playing in the centre with Stevie on the right on Saturday. Garcia looks so far off the pace at the moment and a blind man could see that he's not a wide man anyway. Last night he was back to his normal self of being equally adept at giving the ball away with either foot.

Some may feel that playing Gerrard on the right would diminish his impact on the game as a whole. I just think that Gerrard's willingness to track back in defence would be vital aswell, especially against Boro. Nearly all their attacking will come down the left with Downing and Queudrue so having Gerrard on Downing would limit their attacking options somewhat.

Let me re-emphasise. This is only a short term solution for the first few games of the season.

Thoughts?
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:36 am

I remember suggesting this towards the back end of the season as a short term solution becuase we had no right winger and we had Hamann, Alonso and Biscan in the middle, plus Garcia was much better off a main striker.

But I don't think one person even agreed with me.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:41 am

I know what you're saying and I agree on principle that it would be a good solution to our right wing quandry in the short term. But on the other hand, Gerrard is such an influence in the middle, it seems foolish to take him away from a possition that he has made his own. No one at the club plays like Stevie, and pushing him to the right would take away his power, even if it did add a new dimension. I think Finnan is a better option when Josemi is fit. Ok, he can't shoot particularly well, but his crossing is tip top. Failing that, playing three across the centre with little Luis as a supporting striker is also an option that would suit more and have Stevie G on the right side of that midfield three.

However, I'm sure this will not be a problem, with Parry, Moores and Rafa all beavering away in the transfer market, we should find a suitable right winger before the 31st.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:48 am

Funnily enough this crossed my mind watching last nights game . Garcia was so f'kin' hopeless (imo) I found myself hoping Rafa would take him off stick hamann or sissoko alongside Xabi and move gerrard to right mid .Certainly would see this as a temporary measure and only use it when necessary .Last night certainly highlighted again how if we are going to get the best out of Nando (and now crouch) quality crosses from out wide are definitely required .
Not having a go at Garcia ,wide right isn't his best position ,but last night was one of the most ineffectual performances I've seen from him .I even found myself wishing Nunez was still with us  :wwww .

Right winger urgently required .
Last edited by woof woof ! on Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:13 pm

The thing is, you end up being shot down with the whole "You gotta play Stevie G in his best position" argument.

But what about what's best for the team? With him on the right, the team has a more natural balance. At least he'd provide some width, something which we haven't had for years now.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:17 pm

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Adebisi » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:19 pm

Not sure if sticking Gerrard out on the right for the full game is the best idea but agree that is could be a good short term solution

Perhaps giving Gerrard more licence to move out to the wings will definetly benefit Morientes, if he gets good delivery weve all seen how great a header of the ball he is
Adebisi

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:25 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Here is the topic I was talking about:

http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9814&hilit=steven+gerrard

if you look at that thread, leon says:

"the answer for the right is simple, it's nunez".

maybe not eh leon? :D  :laugh:  :D
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:27 pm

That was a classic line, never mentioned it after I saw the pictures of him
???

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:39 pm

Gerrard for right midfield.

You know it would work! you dont need speed to cross a ball in, what you do need is to creat half a yard to cross a ball -

i'd love to see finnan and gerrard team up down the right in a simular way to what neville and beckham did at the manure redsox

i think gerrard would get into the box alot from the right hand side as well! stick sissoko in centre mid, let him run his little cotton socks off, and that leaves alosno to pull the strings.

try it rafa - my gran said you should try everything at least once...you might like it!  :blues: :blues:

....I'm the bee's knee, his legs and his arms.....
Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:24 pm

actually, sod the right of midfield, rafa's been considering playing him upfront. :oh:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N149630050811-1409.htm
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:38 pm

Hope Rafa's just having a laugh . I like to see Stevie stormin' forward and banging them in BUT his contibution from midfield is immense ,take those midfield responsibilities away from him and  bang goes half his game.

:(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:44 pm

actually, sod the right of midfield, rafa's been considering playing him upfront. 

:O  - well he did play him just off of the front man a few times last season, the article just notes his versatility, proving he'd be effective on the right as per my previous post

:laugh:

....I'm the bee's knee, his legs and his arms.....
Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolFC_Kopite » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:01 pm

I suppose if Carra or Sami get injured then we could stick Stevie at the back, what with his ferocious tackling and if are strikers aren't performing why not stick him up front aswell for a bit? ???
LiverpoolFC_Kopite

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:44 pm

:D
While we're at it ,why not give him a pair of goalies mitts but still allow him the freedom to roam .  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion