Zenden - Short term solution to the rw?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kopite_1232002 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:34 pm

iv seen more crosse from the left this seasson than i did all last seasson. keep faith
kopite_1232002

Postby 109-1093441336 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:44 pm

Christopher lee would keep away from our lot.
109-1093441336

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:56 pm

I dont know about Zenden? He has showed a few glimpes of quality but nothing near what he did for Boro!!its early days in his LFC career and way too early to judge!It could go either way!He may be a complete flop or he may end up creating and assisting a load of goals scorig some a hes capable of and playin out of his skin!! My problem with playing a left footed player on the right wing is the fact that when a left footed player strikes a ball from the right the ball will swing in towards the goal away from the attacking striker! Hence taking venom from the finish if it happens,at the same time giving the striker more work to make a good contact as the ball is going away from his head/foot and thats without the mention of the ball heading towards the outcoming goalie and not away from him(or her if ur playing Arsenal) giving the keeper more of a chance!!
Id say that playin a left footed player on the right or vice versa reduces goal scoring oppertunites greatly and is very innefficient but at a last resort and if the winger in question has a certain amount of defencive capabilities to his game it may work out ok!!
But i stress when u play against the bigboys this will be a huge weekness that will be exploited!!
66-1120597113

Postby Raoul » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:04 am

I think this is a good question.

Zenden on the right, Riise on the left doesn't sound too bad to me, all things considered.  I do take the point about what the impact might be on Zenden, the last thing we need is to ruin Zenden's confidence (hope he doesn't read this forum...).  But what are the options:

- Kewell?  I'll believe it when I see it.
- Garcia?  I like him, but a RW he ain't
- Finnan?  Good option, but then who plays RB?  Josemi till Jan? :no
- Cisse?  NO NO NO
- Sinama?  Well, this is worth looking at, still he is a striker isn't he...?
- Sissoko?  I think I read somewhere he has played there?  Anyone know?
- Stevie?  This would be a waste.
- Smicer?  Useful squad player.  Oh, thats right, he's gone...
- Nunez?  Not great, but at least he'd be playing in position.  Oh, thats right, he's gone too...

It seems to me there are enough options there for now, but I think playing Zenden on the right at least sometimes might be as good as we've got.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matrix » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:07 am

remember the buzz when harry signed for us, he has been a bit unlucky with injury  but he is back now and hopefully he can stay injury free this season   when kewell played for leeds he switched wings a bit and always admitted he likes playing on the right wing just as much as the left, but this all depends on rafa   i think rafa will mix it about a wee bit   it will be a big season ahead for kewell, garcia, and zenden    if these three pull there weight we will be verry strong this season   ???

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:26 am

I think Garcia and HK can do the job on the RM, Zendan and Riise can play in LM ...
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:43 am

woof woof ! wrote:
john craig wrote:Garcia played on the right for pretty much all of last season and imo he was one of our most important players last year.  He got some very important goals.  Ok he still gives the ball away too much and the reason he cuts in too much is that he's actually left footed.  But he's still pretty effective there.

We need a right winger no doubt about that, but Garcia was good enough last season as a stop-gap and he'll be good enough until January too :nod

JC , Garcia was only effective when he did cut inside (sometimes he was awesome) but as an out and out RM/RW he was abysmal and your assertion that he was "good enough as a stop gap" is imo laughable.If we don't have a RW capable of beating and going past people down the line and putting in a decent cross for the likes of  Morientes and Crouch  we should at least employ someone to  make our right flank safe and solid ,someone who can at least put in a decent diagonal ball and defend down the right .Looking at our squad Finnan strikes me as the only realistic option for that role .
Having said all of that I have to admit that I am totally fu'cked off that we have not been able to fulfill such a glaring requirement in the teams make up and i'm tired of watching quality LFC players having their reputations damaged and their abilities stifled by being forced to play as "square pegs in round holes "

Lets face it ,even before the window opened it wasn't only rafa that knew we needed a RW/RM  most lfc fans knew that this time last year  ! 
I still can't believe that a year on a club such as ours has found it impossible to sign a decent player for that position ,  :angry:

ps , don't get me started on the equally long running CD question .   :veryangry

:D

Thats a very valid point about players confidence. Constantly playing players out of position does them no good at all.
Putting Cisse on the right might put some teams under threat because his pace will trouble most players, but that is not his position..he is a goalscorer, when goalscorers score goals there confidence gets higher and higher and there level of performance can rise so much.
I am with Woof on this, i really cant believe that over the whole summer we did not sign a right sided midfielder and a cb.
Dont get me wrong i am not knocking the lads we have brought in, but he knew we needed the other positions sorting...they are still not, and now we are left debating who to play out of position for 4 months...half the season. RIDICULOUS  :angry:

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby teamleader1 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:45 am

I dont think for one minute that we have seen anything like the real zendon as a LM, give him time-

Saying that Im a bit confused how he gets the shout over Riise, at worst Riise should have gone to left back -

I would always have him in the side as hes the best LM & LB at the club,and dont forget his performance at CD when Pelegreno got dragged off

I think theres enough talent already at the club for LM to be a success -

Its RM where the probs are
teamleader1

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:51 am

Zenden to me is a very limited player....i am not slagging him here its just my opinion.
He seems a decent lad and a steady enough player, but if i am totally honest i have never seen him beat a man with skill or pace. His crossing is very good although he sometimes crosses a bit early due to the fact he cant beat his man.
Read a few posts stating that he is a far better winger than Riise...imo that is utter nonsense.
Riise also has no skill, but is direct and sometimes beats his man due to a decent turn of pace and better judgement of when to pull wide.
He scored a few goals last season...,blackburn away and the league cup final to name 2...where he pulled off the right back and applied the finish, i dont see Zenden ever being in that position to do that.
I have actually bet my mate £50 that Riise scores more than Zenden this season, the only thing that will prevent this is him not playing.
Again i am not slagging Zenden he is a good honest pro...but should not be a starter for LFC as he wasn't at Chelsea or Barca.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby teamleader1 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:59 pm

ACE- while respecting your opinion, I think a better time to judge would be in jan-
I remember shaking my head at how poor our RB was in the bad old days of houlier- houlier was sacked and the RB is now the CD and an inspiration to every player at the club

my own yardstick these days is how much effort a player puts in even when things arnte quite right yet-

weve had and still have some lazy bstrds at the club
but in my opinion Zendon isnte one of them

So lets not judge to soon m8
teamleader1

Postby The_Rock » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:02 am

Lets just play gerrard at right wing. And with rafa's preferance with 3 central midfielders....this is how the team would line up...

Goal
                           Defence
                        Hamann   Alonso         
    Gerrard                 Sissoko          Zenden/Risse
                                Striker

With a midfield of hamann, Alonso, Gerrard & Sissoko we will be hard to break down. And if we score a goal at the other end....1-0 to us  :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:01 am

matrix wrote:remember the buzz when harry signed for us, he has been a bit unlucky with injury  but he is back now and hopefully he can stay injury free this season   when kewell played for leeds he switched wings a bit and always admitted he likes playing on the right wing just as much as the left, but this all depends on rafa   i think rafa will mix it about a wee bit   it will be a big season ahead for kewell, garcia, and zenden    if these three pull there weight we will be verry strong this season   ???

Kewell will not stay injury free this season, he's already injured.

Houllier played Kewell on the right and he was totally ineffective...just another player playing out of position.

The simple truth is that there is no-one in the current squad who's natural position is right-midfield.  I think we'll see Finnan there in some games with Josemi behind him.  Perhaps especially in away games where Rafa seems to like being as defensive as possible.

:idea
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Paul C » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:23 am

We need a RW that will put crosses in for Nando, Crouch and Cisse not someone who always cuts back infield and gets in the way of the CM, I like Garcia but I don't think that RW is his position.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hobbes » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:32 am

jammydodger..

I would use Finann there rather than Zenden or even Garcia. Finann make decent cross from the right corner and he is also good defense wise. Therefor move him forward and Josemi as right back. OR the best is 3-5-2 formation. We have wonderful defensive midfielders. Let them care for Cara and Hypia and Warnock or Traore.
???
hobbes

Postby tubby » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:12 pm

My opinion of Zenden is this: He is no longer the player he was at the nou camp, he gives possesion of theball away too easily, at times in the super cup he was awful. He is having big problems communicating with Riise for link up play. This in particular is a big worry for me as i think Riise is one of our hardest workers and best and hes somehow not preferred before Zenden. I know Zended done good for Boro but the fact is that he is past his sell by date and is nothing more than an experienced sub (like say smicer was). In my view he is a wast of money, in wages i mean. With the money we will be paying him for the duration of his contract we could have got a handfull of decent young players (you can never have enough youngsters), or funded the MO deal, or Simao.

I guess im sounding a bit harsh on him and ill give him time before irip into him again but heneeds to start playing good soon.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion