Could it be a blessing in disguise on euro exit? - Short term failure =long term success?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Could it be a blessing in disguise on euro exit? - Short term failure =long term success?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes : 44

Postby roberto green » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:06 pm

I was listening to talksport this morning and a caller came on who made me sit up and take notice, he said it could actually be a good thing in the long-term if we went out of Europe now and therefore never had the money it would revenue forcing the Americans hand to sell as they count on that money to keep them just about on the breadline.

I don't know about anyone else but I think this could well be the best scenario?
roberto green

Postby THEBARON » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:21 pm

Interesting pont but wouldn't we still be in Europe if we came 3rd because we would go into the Europa League?

If we had a lengthy run then there would still be money coming in , albeit vastly reduced compared to the money from the Champions League.

I think if we failed to qualify for next seasons Champions League then the yanks would take a different view.
THEBARON

Postby Avi Cohen » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:04 pm

Being in the Europa League is equivalent to being forced to sit at the kids' table at a wedding.

To be taken seriously as a footballing force we have to qualify from the CL group. No question.
AND HERE COMES AVI COHEN!! OH I SAY - AT THE SAME END HE'S GOT ONE BACK!!!!!!!!!!
Avi Cohen

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:39 pm

If we didnt make CL etc and the yanks needed money to pay of repayements there is only one way they would get it -

Selling top players .

Not good at all .
Benny The Noon

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:41 pm

No.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:43 pm

Its a scenario alright but the chances of it working would probably be quite slim.

If the question was.. would you rather put the owners under more pressure by not qualifying for the champions league or qualify for the champions league and not put the owners under further pressure? my answer would defo be the second one.
Fauxy

Postby Reg » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:52 pm

2 negatives dont make a right but when you see both T&T selling their US based teams it kinda makes you think they're here to stay doesnt it so I dont think they'd abandon ship just because we miss CL for one season. In short, No is my answer.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aqualanigan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:08 am

NO F*CKING WAY.

1. would be a joke playing back in the europa league. (uefa cup you know what i mean)

2. other teams would be laughing at us, a club like us being knocked out so early, we belong in the champions league.

3.we need the money, and if getting knocked out of it doesnt change the yanks mind we could b truly screwed.

4. not being in the champs league would make us less attractive to other foreign investoer anyway
aqualanigan

Postby Dazzer » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:25 am

aqualanigan wrote:NO F*CKING WAY.

1. would be a joke playing back in the europa league. (uefa cup you know what i mean)

2. other teams would be laughing at us, a club like us being knocked out so early, we belong in the champions league.

3.we need the money, and if getting knocked out of it doesnt change the yanks mind we could b truly screwed.

4. not being in the champs league would make us less attractive to other foreign investoer anyway

No thats not true at all they know we have ok ish team and great fans just being out of CL 1 year will not make us as you put it less attractive to other foreign investoers.In fact i dare go as far as to say they want to buy into us more as our price as a club will be less.Not saying I want us to go out of the CL tho but you know what they say "every cloud" and all that.
Dazzer
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:05 am

The latest run of poor results may be getting the yanks a bit nervous about their "FRANCHISE", and they may have told Rafa he has to make the CL a priority to pay off the loans, its a very dangerous game to play using a football club in leverage buyouts there is no guarentee of success something most of us have been saying for a long time.

But this is what happens when you dont invest money into the squad and hope for the best. We really did need a new striker in the summer and the owners didnt want to buy one.
We are paying the price for this now and will continue to do so until the problem has been addressed Ngog, Kuyt, Voronin and Babel are not options to replace Torres when he goes off injured and he cannot play every game either.

So their cushy little number may be up soon either that or the stubborn b@stards will sell off *insert name players name here* to pay next seasons 30 million re-finance payments.

Then you see a Leeds situation unfolding. Like many of us have warned people about, but ostrichs bury their heads in the sand...............
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:43 am

Fauxy wrote:Its a scenario alright but the chances of it working would probably be quite slim.

It could be a blessing in disguise.......................if we were in a stronger position in the league. That way we could focuse while the others were distracted by Europe and the mickey mouse cup.

As for whether the owners would be "forced to sell" is debatable. I think they'd be more likely to do what a lot of people on here refuse to do and that's blame the manager, that then could well force the issue over his future.

Or even worse, no money and they could sell a player to a tempting bid to make up for lost revenue, £50m+ for Torres or £36m+ for Gerrard.

The most likely KNOWN consequence is we'd end up in the U ropey league and make progress in that, making parallels with 2002/03 all too real. Remember the manager then got only one more season, lucky to get that with some of the embarrassments that happened that season. It is one thing a lot of the "fergie seven year plan" faithful seem to overlook, back then only Champions played in the Champions League and it wasn't a money spinning fixture extravaganza so there wasn't that to contend with.

Man Utd fixtures 1992/93

Premiership : 42
UEFA Cup : 2 (0-0 on aggregate, lost on penalties to Torpedo Moscow)
League Cup : 2 (lost away to villa 0-1)
FA Cup : 3 (lost away to Sheff Utd 1-2 in R5)

So they played a total of 49 games, least we've played under Rafa is 55 and if we don't progress in any cups we'll play 47 this season. Chances are we'll play at least 49 given you have to finish bottom in the CL not to drop into Europe's 2nd (rate) competition.

It's one of the factors people who subscribe to this theory you have to give a manager time simply overlook or choose to ignore. Not only are Liverpool expected to qualify for the Champions League, they are also expected to progress and that strains a squad which has had money but is not the richest. Our 1st team squad cost around £148m, the problem is beyond the 1st team there is a lot of wasted money, and SEVEN of the squad didn't cost a penny
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheLad » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:10 am

No, no, no.
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby hello_red » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:26 am

We need Europe, I am not bothered by the implications for the Americans of us not getting into Europe or getting into the knock out rounds of the Champs League.

As as club we need the revenue and profile this competition gives us. No matter how much the Americans mess us around financially it would be ultimately worse not being a Champs League side in our current situation.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Anfield's Finest » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:48 am

No - pretty silly question.
Anfield's Finest

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:58 am

Ciggy wrote:The latest run of poor results may be getting the yanks a bit nervous about their "FRANCHISE", and they may have told Rafa he has to make the CL a priority to pay off the loans, its a very dangerous game to play using a football club in leverage buyouts there is no guarentee of success something most of us have been saying for a long time.

But this is what happens when you dont invest money into the squad and hope for the best. We really did need a new striker in the summer and the owners didnt want to buy one.
We are paying the price for this now and will continue to do so until the problem has been addressed Ngog, Kuyt, Voronin and Babel are not options to replace Torres when he goes off injured and he cannot play every game either.

So their cushy little number may be up soon either that or the stubborn b@stards will sell off *insert name players name here* to pay next seasons 30 million re-finance payments.

Then you see a Leeds situation unfolding. Like many of us have warned people about, but ostrichs bury their heads in the sand...............

:nod  :nod
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion