Could it be a blessing in disguise on euro exit? - Short term failure =long term success?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Could it be a blessing in disguise on euro exit? - Short term failure =long term success?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes : 44

Postby killerp » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:11 am

roberto green wrote:I was listening to talksport this morning and a caller came on who made me sit up and take notice, he said it could actually be a good thing in the long-term if we went out of Europe now and therefore never had the money it would revenue forcing the Americans hand to sell as they count on that money to keep them just about on the breadline.

I don't know about anyone else but I think this could well be the best scenario?

I hate to say this but

Torres = lots of cash
Mascherano = lots of cash

Both these players could be sold if yanks are in financial strife, don't forget Liverpool is their plaything & they already receive death threats from the fantastic management style they employed so far, a few more can't hurt eh?

The club will suffer much more before the Yanks budge on club ownership.
killerp

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:53 am

Lyon coach Claude Puel has assured Liverpool his side will go to Fiorentina looking for a win in two weeks' time.
Liverpool can still qualify from Champions League Group E if they win their remaining two games - but only if Lyon, who are already through to the knockout stages after Wednesday's 1-1 with the Reds, avoid defeat in Florence.

Even then it could come down to which team has the best head-to-head record.

But Puel said: "We will play fair. We want to win the group and avoid getting a tougher draw in the next stage.

"Liverpool have no need to fear what may happen. We will play to win the game and that will leave the situation in Liverpool's hands to win their last two games and go through themselves."
Benny The Noon

Postby LiverpoolFC_Kopite » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:44 pm

Bonuses Champions League 2008/2009 – 2009/2010
Group Stage (fixed): €5.4m – €7.1m
Group Stage Victory: €600k – €800k
Group Stage Draw: €300k – €400k
Round of 16: €2.2m – €3m
Quarterfinal: €2.5m – €3.3m
Semifinal: €3m – €4m
Losing Finalist: €4m – €5.2m
Winner: €7m – €9m
Theoretical Maximum: €23.7m – €31.2m

Bonuses UEFA Cup/Europa League 2008/2009 – 2009/2010
Group Stage (fixed): €115k – €900k
Group Stage Victory: €40k – €120k
Group Stage Draw: €20k – €60k
Round of 32: €70k – €180k
Round of 16: €70k – €270k
Quarterfinal: €300k – €360k
Semifinal: €600k – €630k
Losing Finalist: €1.5m – €2m
Winner: €2.5m – €3m
Theoretical Maximum: €3.815m (CL 6.2x more) – €6.06m (CL 5.1x more)

As you can see not qualifying from the group stage and assuming we get to the semis, as there's no guarantee we'll get past the first knockout, we only potentially lose 6-7 million,w so Im at a loss to understand why people are saying it's 'going to cost us 20 million if we get knocked out'. As far as I'm aware the majority of the CL pot comes from initially getting into the group stages right? I know going into the europa cup isn't a  notion that even entertain yet but IF we did and won it would go someway to recouping the deficit from missing out on CL money.

I'm not going to get into what the implications of missing are for Rafa, Players and LFC but the money we miss out on isn't a hell alot, even though we haven't a pot to pee in right now!
LiverpoolFC_Kopite

Postby lakes10 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:22 pm

Judge wrote:
roberto green wrote:I was listening to talksport this morning and a caller came on who made me sit up and take notice, he said it could actually be a good thing in the long-term if we went out of Europe now and therefore never had the money it would revenue forcing the Americans hand to sell as they count on that money to keep them just about on the breadline.

I don't know about anyone else but I think this could well be the best scenario?

recent history says NO

you are right it would be a bad thing, what there is a good chance that going ing to happen is the owners just put the club on the back burner till they feel they need to sell it, this would be arounf june next year.

its not like the Leeds thing could ever happen to us with G&H in charge, thet have loads of their own mony and the back can fource a payment from their own back in our account are blank, but i will noit evenget to that point as BOA will take over the loan and that when things will get very bad for the club.

you would be luck to get them to give the player £5 for new socks.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby In and Out » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:59 am

Footballing wise yes it was a blessing in disguise.

Ownership wise - nobody knows.
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:09 am

It's hard to say what the impact could have been had we exited Europe altogether on 09/12/09, but here's the split of league fixtures before and after that date

16/08/09-05/12/09 : P15 W7 D3 L5 F31 A20 PTS 24
13/12/09-09/05/10 : P23 W11 D6 L6 F30 A15 PTS 39

A slight increase in points per game, from 1.600 to 1.696 which would have resulted in ONE point had we continued that form. What it would have been had there been no Euro Disney distraction who knows, we never won a game in the Premiership after we exited that competition, While Europe can cause problems with fixtures before and after a midweek trip, we showed an ability to lose or draw against almost anyone so with no real consistency I think we can put our cr ap season down to how we played rather than Europe
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ben oseman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:25 pm

a resounding no for god sake
alberto aquilani = class footballer. only a matter of time my friends and we will be enlightened
ben oseman

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:35 pm

Whens the big unveiling ceremony, the "haha you feckers I actually supported Everton all along"? That's always the best bit, this preamble stage is just a bit boring to be honest.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:47 pm

ben oseman wrote:a resounding no for god sake

you must hear that a lot from girls  :laugh:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ben oseman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:53 pm

actually no m8, im red through and through. laddie mcdine
alberto aquilani = class footballer. only a matter of time my friends and we will be enlightened
ben oseman

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion