Who will you transfer list? - For the january transfer window

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:10 am

Toffeehater wrote:
ruskiy playmaker wrote:Well apparently David Silva has mentioned that he wants a move to Liverpool.  Wouldn't mind seeing him in a red shirt.

one player i would love to see at liverpool :)

Deffo an improvement over babel for the LW position....

Maybe could even give kewell a run for his $$$
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:59 pm

I hate threads like this. Why do people just think it's so simple? Buy a few players, sell a few players, job done? According to most all we need is a centre back, a left back, a top class winger and maybe a couple of strikers. The reality is, the top clubs hardly ever do a significant amount of business in January.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby burjennio » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:43 pm

Couldnt see anyone leaving Valencia until the summer, and if Koeman doesnt turn it round soon the exodus will truely begin, players such as Villa, Silva and Joaquin wont want to be hanging around a midtable team, and any of those would wak into any starting line up in the premier league
burjennio

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:29 pm

stmichael wrote:I hate threads like this. Why do people just think it's so simple? Buy a few players, sell a few players, job done? According to most all we need is a centre back, a left back, a top class winger and maybe a couple of strikers. The reality is, the top clubs hardly ever do a significant amount of business in January.

u're right mate big players never leave their clubs in January but it always help and gets our hopes up by planning early. I also agree with whom we need to buy , a cheap but good centre back [laursen] , a solid winger [silva]  and a creative solid striker whom finishes well [ drogba is a great example but he's too old]
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:15 pm

teamleader1 wrote:OUT
Gillett
Hicks
Parry

IN
One competent (very rich) owner
:D

:D

Out:

1) Sissoko
2) Carson - cos villa want him and we'll get about £10m

In:
1) Masch - is in but make it permanent - Palease
2) Class striker alongside Torres
3) Centre back - Rafa's preference
4) Kaka - well it is christmas and we can wish ay  :D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:40 pm

ruskiy playmaker wrote:Well apparently David Silva has mentioned that he wants a move to Liverpool.  Wouldn't mind seeing him in a red shirt.

Source, please. And I wish.

But players to go are Kuyt, Sissoko, Voronin, and maybe Riise.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:43 pm

stmichael wrote:I hate threads like this. Why do people just think it's so simple? Buy a few players, sell a few players, job done? According to most all we need is a centre back, a left back, a top class winger and maybe a couple of strikers. The reality is, the top clubs hardly ever do a significant amount of business in January.

Mascherano , Arbeloa, and Agger in the past 2. Anything like that I would be happy with.
JoeTerp

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:59 pm

Emerald Red wrote:

Source, please. And I wish.

But players to go are Kuyt, Sissoko, Voronin, and maybe Riise.

by Richard Field, 23 December 2007

Silva hints at Liverpool move

Valencia star David Silva has spoken of his unrest at the Spanish side which will alert those looking to recruit his services with Liverpool topping the list.

Silva made his breakthrough at the Mestalla last season with some stunning performances.

Things have since turned sour for the 21-year-old, who has fallen out with coach Ronald Koeman as Valencia slip to seventh in La Liga.

Rafael Benitez, the former manager of Valencia, made an unsuccessful inquiry about Silva last summer, but will be heartened by the latest comments from the striker.

“Everything has changed here and the whole atmosphere within the team is different,” Silva said . “England is a sensational country for football and Liverpool is a big team.”

The Spanish international signed a seven-year contract with the former Champions League finalists last June, but sporting director Miguel Angel Ruiz is reported to have given the green light for his departure.

LINK
Last edited by account deleted by request on Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:02 pm

JoeTerp wrote:

Mascherano , Arbeloa, and Agger in the past 2. Anything like that I would be happy with.

i meant the top clubs in general. certainly arsenal and united don't buy in january and chelsea will only be forced to buy this january due to being decimated by injuries, suapensions and the african nations cup. the major activity is done by the clubs who are facing relegation, panic, and feel that the only way to get out of their plight is to throw money at it. in this window i can see chelsea, man city and sunderland spending quite a significant amount between them.

as you say, agger was the major signing that we got during the january window and he's obviously been a great success. arbeloa (who nobody had even heard of when we signed) has exceeded all expectations and is now an integral part of the first team. as for mascherano, it's debatable as to whether we can sign him permanently without selling first.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:06 pm

certainly the Mashcerano situation was a one off.  But I can see us getting another player like Agger or Arbeloa to shore up the defense.
JoeTerp

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:10 pm

stmichael wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:

i meant the top clubs in general. certainly arsenal and united don't buy in january and chelsea will only be forced to buy this january due to being decimated by injuries, suapensions and the african nations cup. the major activity is done by the clubs who are facing relegation, panic, and feel that the only way to get out of their plight is to throw money at it. in this window i can see chelsea, man city and sunderland spending quite a significant amount between them.

as you say, agger was the major signing that we got during the january window and he's obviously been a great success. arbeloa (who nobody had even heard of when we signed) has exceeded all expectations and is now an integral part of the first team. as for mascherano, it's debatable as to whether we can sign him permanently without selling first.

But Rafa has bought at Christmas every year.

Last Christmas he brought in :-

Mascherano and Arbeloa

The year before :-Anderson, Kromkamp,Martin,Agger and Fowler

The year before that :- Pelligrino, Morientes and Carson

So he does have a past record of buying during the break.

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:29 pm

s@int wrote:
stmichael wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:

Mascherano and Arbeloa

yeah but how many of those were brought to go directly into the first team at the time? i'd argue only morientes. agger and fowler were introduced gradually after they signed. even the most ardent liverpool supporter cannot say they thought arbeloa would become a first team regular so quickly after we signed him.

my point is that teams buy players in this window to go straight into their first eleven more often than not. our squad's big enough already and we need to be signing players to improve our first eleven. it shouldn't just be a case of getting numbers in to make the squad bigger.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:45 pm

stmichael wrote:
s@int wrote:
stmichael wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:

Mascherano and Arbeloa

yeah but how many of those were brought to go directly into the first team at the time? i'd argue only morientes. agger and fowler were introduced gradually after they signed. even the most ardent liverpool supporter cannot say they thought arbeloa would become a first team regular so quickly after we signed him.

my point is that teams buy players in this window to go straight into their first eleven more often than not. our squad's big enough already and we need to be signing players to improve our first eleven. it shouldn't just be a case of getting numbers in to make the squad bigger.

I think our problem is more one of making our minds up about a few players and deciding whether to keep them or sell and bring in better(if possible).

Crouch and  Riise, will be in the last year of their contracts come the summer, so if we are going to sell it would be obviously beneficial to sell now.

Kewell's contract is coming to an end and unless we sign him up now, he can start talking to other clubs.

Same with Mascherano, he will be able to start talking to other clubs after Christmas.

I would sell Crouch and keep the rest myself, buy a top class second striker and a CB THEN GO ON AND WIN THE TITLE.

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:52 pm

s@int wrote:I would sell Crouch and keep the rest myself, buy a top class second striker and a CB THEN GO ON AND WIN THE TITLE.

easy as that. :D

i actually agree with you on the second striker business but that then throws up the question of systems. to play a second striker you essentailly play a 4-4-1-1. for me, the best player we have to play in this position at the moment is benayoun, but that then leaves the right side open to debate again. personally i think the personnel we have is perfect to play a 4-3-3, if we get a top quality left winger to play on the left of a front three, with babel on the right and torres down the middle.

this talk of david silva from valencia is interesting although i thought he was a left sided player. can he play as a second striker does anyone know?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby teamleader1 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:52 pm

Just take one look at the top scorers chart,
Anelka with 10 prem goals, availible for 10ml, would crawl back to Anfield to play alongside Torres (who wouldnte?)

it would be crimminal if we dont sell Crouch to city and get Anelka in,
him and Torres could just blast us right back into contention.

A lack of major activity in the Jan window will say everything about the yanks true intentions.
teamleader1

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion