The january transfer window - How did we do? what does it tell us?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby worcester_red » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:59 pm

only me wrote:
Lee J wrote:you ungrateful bunch of tw.ats

go support chelsea you plastic b@stards :angry:

Fck off braindead Jihadist ,nobody needs your approval to post or prove their Support for Liverpool.

No but he talks far more sense than I've ever seen you do, fool!
worcester_red

Postby stmichael » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:01 pm

only me wrote:I think this Transfer window as well as those before demonstrate the weakness of out techanical/scouting staff ,for a team in the Caliber of Liverpool we should have had a list of numerous potential condidates for ALL positions that the manager should be able to pick and fight for. I have a creeping feeling that too many people in the Liverpool operations are spending time on Wnking around instead of doing their job. I have the same feeling over our medical staff but this is for another discussion.

Bottom line i felt we could and should have done much better on the transfer window. Had to sign at least one, CB/LB/CM.

pass us the rope. i'm gonna hang myself. we're doomed. doomed i tell ya.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:05 pm

jacdaniel wrote:Its a difficult market in January because nobody wants to lose their star players and therefore quote some ridiculous prices for their players. 

Thats why most of the deals get done on deadline day.  When the buying club gets desperate to fill a position in the squad, they tend to pay over the odds on deadline day.

Im not delighted with our dealings, but not hugely disappointed either.  Things might have been better if Torres had of left a week earlier and we had of had time to use the money wisely.

Lets hope the sum of the parts of Suarez/Carroll will improve the squad overall more than Torres/Babel.  Lets hope in the summer we can start filling some holes in the defence and on the wings.

A key point too often overlooked.  January is NEVER the time to fundamentally rebuild a squad.  You target a hole or two tops that needs addressing straight away and leave the real squad reshaping to the summer (when you have time to properly assess needs, identify a broader pool of targets and negotiate patiently).  Anyone expecting us to do massive amounts of business in this window--buying forwards, defenders and wingers to fill all of our problem areas--is kidding themselves.  You freshen up as best you can and keep calm and carry on until summer.  The difference is that this window we had the financial backing to properly freshen up rather than trawling through the cast-offs and has-beens pile hoping to find a bargain.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:20 pm

stmichael wrote:
only me wrote:I think this Transfer window as well as those before demonstrate the weakness of out techanical/scouting staff ,for a team in the Caliber of Liverpool we should have had a list of numerous potential condidates for ALL positions that the manager should be able to pick and fight for. I have a creeping feeling that too many people in the Liverpool operations are spending time on Wnking around instead of doing their job. I have the same feeling over our medical staff but this is for another discussion.

Bottom line i felt we could and should have done much better on the transfer window. Had to sign at least one, CB/LB/CM.

pass us the rope. i'm gonna hang myself. we're doomed. doomed i tell ya.

Now why would you do that? Try answering the arguement instead?
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby addy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Well, after the mayhem of the last couple of days, my thoughts (for what they're worth) on the Transfer Window and our new owners.

It's clear the owners have money to spend and are willing to spend it. I believe that Suarez and Adam were both big targets before it was known that Torres was leaving.

So, we potentially had £30 million to spend.

As it was, Torres spat his dummy out and changed the picture completely. From looking at Torres and Suarez as the partnership, with the possibility of strengthening midfield and defence, a drastic change of thinking was required and a striker became a priority.

We've lost Babel for 6 million and Torres for 50. Babel has the talent but apart from a few good cameo performances has never really delivered. Torres - well, we all know what happened there.

For 2 million extra, we have Suarez who has a goal scoring record to die for and Carroll, definitely over priced, but with all the skills and potential to be a stunning forward. And he's only 22.

That's good business.

Cash brought in has been spent on the squad, nothing taken out. We were chasing Adam all the way until 11.00pm.

That tells me the original £30 million is still there and will be spent on the team in the summer. A LB and LW is what we need in my opinion. With Carra coming back, Agger fit and with the progress kelly is making (I love this kid), I do not see a CB as an immediate priority.

I think it is clear our owners will spend significantly on the squad over the next 12 to 18 months. With the removal of the debt fears from the H&G days and a solid financial position, owners with a track record of success, two exciting young strikers and the prospect of a new ground or improved Anfield, the next few years look good for me.

I've read some of the negativity on here for the last couple of days and some posts amaze me. Yes we missed out on a couple of transfer targets, but 12 months ago we would have missed them all.

The damage done over the last few years could not have been repaired in 6 months and one transfer window!! We are moving in the right direction though. Get behind Kenny, the owners and the players and support!!
addy

Postby aCe' » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:34 pm

andy_g wrote:i don't see how we can complain too much. when torres was going we absolutely had to buy a striker, a proper number 9 style to play with suarez, as we didn't have any others. the defence is ok, we have a few of them even though we could use an upgrade. don't forget either that we actually put in a late 20 million pound bit for micah richards, so its not as if the club has its head buried in the sand on that issue.

the main issue is that we spunked a ridiculous amount of money on an essentially unproven striker. but we had the money and we needed one, i'm sure it wasn't just a name that kenny pulled out of the hat either. time will tell whether he was the right one to get or not.

I dont think many can or should be complaining about the players we brought in... Both very highly rated forwards that we had to pay top money forward and rightly so...

Nonetheless, we've struggled defensively this season and I genuinely thought our priority in the January window would be enforcing our backline with better players.. We didnt even need to go out splashing 10s of millions to sign top quality fullbacks and CBs, many good players would have been available for cheap if we had expressed an interest in signing them... The likes of Warnock, Pantsil, Upson, Mexes, Ziegler...etc etc are all players who are either out of contract soon or are not wanted by their respective clubs... All would have been step ups on what we have or represented better backup..

Lets be realistic here, we lost Torres, Babel and Konchesky and replaced them with Suarez and Carroll... Many will argue that a Suarez-Carroll partnership upfront will lead to us scoring more goals but what needs to be noted is that we'll have to change to a more attacking setup to make room for that 2nd forward...

That in turn will potentially add more pressure on our midfielders and backline... Im afraid another injury to Agger, Johnson or even Carra might undo all the good work done in bringing in 2 top strikers to the club..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:48 pm

only me wrote:
Lee J wrote:you ungrateful bunch of tw.ats

go support chelsea you plastic b@stards :angry:

Fck off braindead Jihadist ,nobody needs your approval to post or prove their Support for Liverpool.

hang on? i aint muslim?
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
jacdaniel wrote:Its a difficult market in January because nobody wants to lose their star players and therefore quote some ridiculous prices for their players. 

Thats why most of the deals get done on deadline day.  When the buying club gets desperate to fill a position in the squad, they tend to pay over the odds on deadline day.

Im not delighted with our dealings, but not hugely disappointed either.  Things might have been better if Torres had of left a week earlier and we had of had time to use the money wisely.

Lets hope the sum of the parts of Suarez/Carroll will improve the squad overall more than Torres/Babel.  Lets hope in the summer we can start filling some holes in the defence and on the wings.

A key point too often overlooked.  January is NEVER the time to fundamentally rebuild a squad.  You target a hole or two tops that needs addressing straight away and leave the real squad reshaping to the summer (when you have time to properly assess needs, identify a broader pool of targets and negotiate patiently).  Anyone expecting us to do massive amounts of business in this window--buying forwards, defenders and wingers to fill all of our problem areas--is kidding themselves.  You freshen up as best you can and keep calm and carry on until summer.  The difference is that this window we had the financial backing to properly freshen up rather than trawling through the cast-offs and has-beens pile hoping to find a bargain.

You are correct. It's just that one thing doesn't make sense ,Suaretz and Carrol signnings are a statement we are here to finish the Season with a Bang, which i like. But if that is the intention how come our most urgnet weakness (defence) wasn't addressed.....And that takes me back to my original arugment ,Bad scouters ,bad techincal team ,no preperations in advance....Oh well. Lets hope we score more then we conceed.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:52 pm

aCe' wrote:
andy_g wrote:i don't see how we can complain too much. when torres was going we absolutely had to buy a striker, a proper number 9 style to play with suarez, as we didn't have any others. the defence is ok, we have a few of them even though we could use an upgrade. don't forget either that we actually put in a late 20 million pound bit for micah richards, so its not as if the club has its head buried in the sand on that issue.

the main issue is that we spunked a ridiculous amount of money on an essentially unproven striker. but we had the money and we needed one, i'm sure it wasn't just a name that kenny pulled out of the hat either. time will tell whether he was the right one to get or not.

I dont think many can or should be complaining about the players we brought in... Both very highly rated forwards that we had to pay top money forward and rightly so...

Nonetheless, we've struggled defensively this season and I genuinely thought our priority in the January window would be enforcing our backline with better players.. We didnt even need to go out splashing 10s of millions to sign top quality fullbacks and CBs, many good players would have been available for cheap if we had expressed an interest in signing them... The likes of Warnock, Pantsil, Upson, Mexes, Ziegler...etc etc are all players who are either out of contract soon or are not wanted by their respective clubs... All would have been step ups on what we have or represented better backup..

Lets be realistic here, we lost Torres, Babel and Konchesky and replaced them with Suarez and Carroll... Many will argue that a Suarez-Carroll partnership upfront will lead to us scoring more goals but what needs to be noted is that we'll have to change to a more attacking setup to make room for that 2nd forward...

That in turn will potentially add more pressure on our midfielders and backline... Im afraid another injury to Agger, Johnson or even Carra might undo all the good work done in bringing in 2 top strikers to the club..

Thank you! i hope no one would call you a greedy t.w.a.t...for talking some sense.  :)
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:53 pm

clueless, you really are
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:57 pm

Lee J wrote:clueless, you really are

Yes i understand anyone who doesn't think like you is a clueless T.w.a.t Chelski supporter...We get it ,ok move on.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:02 pm

aCe' wrote:We didnt even need to go out splashing 10s of millions to sign top quality fullbacks and CBs, many good players would have been available for cheap if we had expressed an interest in signing them... The likes of Warnock, Pantsil, Upson, Mexes, Ziegler...etc etc are all players who are either out of contract soon or are not wanted by their respective clubs... All would have been step ups on what we have or represented better backup..

i don't completely agree with this bit. one thing we have certainly complained about over the past years is buying quantity and not quality, and i don't see any of the names in that list as anything more than squad players.

we have 4 decent centre backs - carra, agger, skrtel, and soto - plus the very promising wilson as cover. so we'll be fine til the end of the season when we can buy better, unless disaster strikes.

full back is a little more tricky, but kelly seems to have nailed the right back slot and johnson is adapting quickly to left back. we also have aurelio who is an excellent player when fit. we're a little thin on cover but we have options and i'd prefer that to wasting a few million on filler before the summer.

i'm sure the owners and the manger want to do something about our defence but are firm in their strategy of buying young and promising, even if it means splashing out. the late bid for micah richards should set our minds a little more at rest about this.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:04 pm

only me wrote:
Lee J wrote:clueless, you really are

Yes i understand anyone who doesn't think like you is a clueless T.w.a.t Chelski supporter...We get it ,ok move on.

:laugh:  poor you  :laugh:
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:10 pm

andy_g wrote:
aCe' wrote:We didnt even need to go out splashing 10s of millions to sign top quality fullbacks and CBs, many good players would have been available for cheap if we had expressed an interest in signing them... The likes of Warnock, Pantsil, Upson, Mexes, Ziegler...etc etc are all players who are either out of contract soon or are not wanted by their respective clubs... All would have been step ups on what we have or represented better backup..

i don't completely agree with this bit. one thing we have certainly complained about over the past years is buying quantity and not quality, and i don't see any of the names in that list as anything more than squad players.

we have 4 decent centre backs - carra, agger, skrtel, and soto - plus the very promising wilson as cover. so we'll be fine til the end of the season when we can buy better, unless disaster strikes.

full back is a little more tricky, but kelly seems to have nailed the right back slot and johnson is adapting quickly to left back. we also have aurelio who is an excellent player when fit. we're a little thin on cover but we have options and i'd prefer that to wasting a few million on filler before the summer.

i'm sure the owners and the manger want to do something about our defence but are firm in their strategy of buying young and promising, even if it means splashing out. the late bid for micah richards should set our minds a little more at rest about this.

Andy would you describe the performance of our back four (CB+FB) as decent? If that is the case then we need to agree to disagree. I thought since the beginning of the Year overall performance of the defence was poor ,and i also include our Defensive Mifielders...Yes Kelly looks as a decent answer ,But then you are losing Johnson as a natural RB or Right Winger ,Skertel is a disaster waiting to happen ,Agger when fit and this is a big when is more then decent ,Carra has a terrible seaon even before injury ,Soto is a decent backup and the LB position is not existing. If you feel this estimate is not accurate fair enough ,then we disagree.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:10 pm

just on the defence the reported bid for micah richards was a strange one for me. that smacked of a comolli signing to me because it came completely out of the blue and he was not being brought in to replace anyone. we do need a left back and a centre half in the summer though. surprised nobody went in for cahill of bolton.

when is carra due back anyway?
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion