January transfer window - Ins and outs

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mattylfc » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:42 pm

I Know its a dangerous time to start a topic such as this following this weekends defeat but what are your opinions on the following:

1. Do you think we will try and sign anyone in the january transfer window or do you think Rafa will wait until the summer to strengthen?

2. Do you think anyone will be out of the door half way through the season, loans included?

3. Who in your opinion should be top of Rafas list when we next venture into the market?

Lets try and keep this realistic please and keep our budget in mind, we wont be signing Ronaldinho.
mattylfc

Postby dawson99 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:44 pm

the players arent the problem. we got the players.

we just need the right tactics and maybe just a little self belief and a willingness to play
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:46 pm

good shout Dawson

Its depressing today and its been a bad start but there is no way Im giving up on a season on October.  We obviously need a run and some confidence but some of the posts about getting rid of players and even Rafa are a bit over the top.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:47 pm

agree with Dawson.  We have the players, we just need confidence and a starting 11 to get a run of games.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonidas08 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:49 pm

I also agree with that, We have a whole team worh of talented players. Just need to gel together and we will do fine.
Leonidas08

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:49 pm

the only player - if any - we will be signing in january will be a right back as cover for finnan.

hopefully lucus neil. he may not be the best RB, but for the money. 2 or 3 million, he's def worth it.

other than that i agree with dawson. no need for an in-depth discussion. we have the players... they just need to play... properly!
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:04 pm

Do we have the players to win a championship?  I dont think so.

At the moment I would like to see Agger in the side just for the fact he actually feels comfortbale on the ball and doesnt just hoof it forward. 

Would like a better RB but not Neil.  Lucan Neil doesnt improve the side at all. We need a RB  who is good technically and quick.

RW we are not strong enough.  Pennant wouldnt get in any other top side, Garcia isnt a winger and Gerrard shouldnt be playing there.  Should of signed Alves from seville.
puroresu

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:09 pm

puroresu wrote:Do we have the players to win a championship?  I dont think so.

At the moment I would like to see Agger in the side just for the fact he actually feels comfortbale on the ball and doesnt just hoof it forward. 

Would like a better RB but not Neil.  Lucan Neil doesnt improve the side at all. We need a RB  who is good technically and quick.

RW we are not strong enough.  Pennant wouldnt get in any other top side, Garcia isnt a winger and Gerrard shouldnt be playing there.  Should of signed Alves from seville.

We couldn't afford £13 million for Alves.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:09 pm

I think we will sign Lucas Neill as Alves is way out of our reach now! We need competition at RB as I have not been too impressed with Finnan this year.

I can't see us buying too many big names in January unless we offload a few players. I would get rid of Zenden for a start!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:12 pm

Im just waiting for someone to say beckham

{me saying it just then didnt count...right?   right} :D
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:14 pm

but we can only afford what we can afford...

and by that i mean we couldnt afford alves, so we had to sign pennant. alves was very obviously rafas first choice. but sevilla wanted more than we had.

and we are not looking for a RB to improve the side... we are looking for a back-up right back. Finnan is good enough.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:17 pm

dawson99 wrote:Im just waiting for someone to say beckham

{me saying it just then didnt count...right?   right} :D

apparently, acording to my best mates mothers friend whose aunts astranged son lives in madrid, we've been tracking a lad called david

its true i tell ya, i swear on my dead cats life
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:18 pm

mattylfc wrote:I Know its a dangerous time to start a topic such as this following this weekends defeat but what are your opinions on the following:

1. Do you think we will try and sign anyone in the january transfer window or do you think Rafa will wait until the summer to strengthen?

2. Do you think anyone will be out of the door half way through the season, loans included?

3. Who in your opinion should be top of Rafas list when we next venture into the market?

Lets try and keep this realistic please and keep our budget in mind, we wont be signing Ronaldinho.

:D

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mattylfc » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:20 pm

I agree and thats the response i was hoping for.  I dont think we need any drastic changes but we do need cover for finnan. I was just wondering whether people think that Rafa will try to sign the likes of Neill, or maybe holdout till the summer and then re-evaluate.

Personally i dont think we need to sell, was worried that such a topic may lead onto some silly suggestions linking a few players with the exit but im glad that people responded by saying we have a team full of good players.

The third question was the main one really and its aimed not at the january window as the topic suggests but more for next season.  I touched on the subject in a different thread and i do think we need to be looking at someone as a link-up player between the strikers and the midfield.  Someone who can dribble with the ball, run at players and create openings for the forwards (e.g Giggs, Mcmanaman).  At present the closest player to this mould is Garcia but his consistancy obviously lets him down.
Any ideas?
mattylfc

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:33 pm

mattylfc wrote:i do think we need to be looking at someone as a link-up player between the strikers and the midfield.  Someone who can dribble with the ball, run at players and create openings for the forwards (e.g Giggs, Mcmanaman).  At present the closest player to this mould is Garcia but his consistancy obviously lets him down.
Any ideas?

we have stevie G when he's back on form, kewell (when he's fit), Gonzalez when he gets used to the prem and matures alittle will be in the giggs/macca mold.

we are going through a bad patch. give it time.

consider this: you've got kewell/gonzo runing riot down the left, momo and alonso in the middle and stevie G on the right.... where would you fit a link player? I certainly wouldnt want to sacrifice a striker and only play with 1 upfront

In an ideal perfect world yes, we would have had alves or some other big name RW, but we don't have the money for it
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion