In january window - Where do we strengthen?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:37 pm

Zidane wrote:I think our defence will hold up, Agger has been class since coming in and I expect that to continue, Johnson has looked solid at LB and Kelly is solid at RB, that just leaves Carra/Skrtel as our weak link but even then, they can manage.  We can manage till the end of the season Kenny is changing a lot of things that aren't exposing our weaknesses at the back as much as Roy was.  Two clean sheets in a row should show that much at least.

Wish I could share your optimism mate.

Just think that despite the possible/inevitable departure of Torres instead of spending £35 million on an "apart from one good season whats he done yet" Carrol that money could have been better spent preferably on a defence that right now is composed of an RB apprentice, a past his prime CB an injury prone CB an inconsistent CB and a now playing out of position LB who's had questions raised against his defensive quality in his "natural" position at RB.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:39 pm

can't believe nobody has gone in for gary cahill at bolton.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:41 pm

yep especially with Bolton needing the finances.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Zidane » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:44 pm

I think teams will fear us even more now with these signings and just the aura that is slowly coming back, I dunno maybe it's just me I'm happy as :censored: right now.  Kenny is slowly getting us back up there right where we belong.
Zidane

Postby only me » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:47 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
Zidane wrote:I think our defence will hold up, Agger has been class since coming in and I expect that to continue, Johnson has looked solid at LB and Kelly is solid at RB, that just leaves Carra/Skrtel as our weak link but even then, they can manage.  We can manage till the end of the season Kenny is changing a lot of things that aren't exposing our weaknesses at the back as much as Roy was.  Two clean sheets in a row should show that much at least.

Just think that despite the possible/inevitable departure of Torres instead of spending £35 million on an "apart from one good season whats he done yet" Carrol that money could have been better spent preferably on a defence that right now is composed of an RB apprentice, a past his prime CB an injury prone CB an inconsistent CB and a now playing out of position LB who's had questions raised against his defensive quality in his "natural" position at RB.

Couldn't summed it up better - Great Post.

It just doesn't make sense ,signning top strikers proves Kenny wants to finish the Season with a bang but the at the same time continue relying on our shakey defence it's just counterproductive...Oh Well Carra better return a new and improved player otherwise we are Fcked.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:48 pm

woof woof ! wrote:

35mill would have at least gotten us a world class CB and a top class fullback...

Imo, 25 mill for David Luiz represents better value for Chelsea than Torres for 50mill.. They had no chance of winning the league with that backline...

Similarly for us, We'll most likely drop silly points yet again for conceding soft goals mainly due to the incompetence of our backline..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:49 pm

SSN website now reporting we made an approach to citeh over Micah Richards.  LINK
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kunilson » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:53 pm

hopefully our renewed front line will ease the pressure on our backline....which will in turn give the backline confidence and get them playing at a better level.
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby syma76 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:56 pm

@SkySportsChrisB:
Andy Carroll has arrived at Liverpool's Melwood training base and is set to undergo a medical. The Newcastle striker is closing on a £35m move.
syma76

Postby parchpea » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:11 pm

Seem to be bidding for eveyone just now, latest is Gervinho! not used to all this sweet jesus  :p
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:50 pm

Well, we should as so far we have spent 0 in total in this window.

50+6 for Torres and Babel and 22+35 for Suarez and Carroll.

I still can believe how many still don't get the thing about net spend.

If we buy 3 players for 80 million doesn't mean we spend 80 million if we at the same time sell 3 players for 80 million.

But that math just seem too hard for many people...
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby RedSi35 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:02 pm

Dalglish, Lee and Clark have left Melwood. Job done, are they now off to sign someone else? Adam?
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:10 pm

woof woof ! wrote:

Pretty much echoes my thoughts dude. I would haqve loved us to get Anelka into the Torres deal and spend a big chunk on a top drawer centre-half. Encouraged to hear we put a bid in for Micah Richards as it shows the club agrees that defence is a need. I'd still love us to get Hangeland but it seems he is a bit too old for the NESV. Someone like Simon Kjaer would be a great move but i'm guessing that would be one for the summer. At left-back I thought Warnock was a decent shout as a short-term stop-gap as i'm a bit concerned Kenny prefers to play Jonno out of position ahead of the fit again Aurelio.

One point on corners on set-pieces is that Carroll will be a MASSIVE asset for us in this department.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:12 pm

Still need a wide man. We've jusyt bought an absolute brute to play up front and we don't have a single player in the squad to put a decent ball in from the flanks unless Kenny is gonna put Stevie out on the right.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:18 pm

Scottbot wrote:Still need a wide man. We've jusyt bought an absolute brute to play up front and we don't have a single player in the squad to put a decent ball in from the flanks unless Kenny is gonna put Stevie out on the right.

Totally agree mate, our wide players crossing ability is nowhere near good enough.
Also there isnt really anyone in the side who can take a decent delivery with free kicks and corners, Adam would make a major difference in that department.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion