In january window - Where do we strengthen?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Penguins » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:19 pm

Totally agree.

I just can't believe the club is satisfied with Kuyt, Maxi, Jovanovic as our wide players.

Not even Birmingham would be happy with that setup...
Just midtable quality straight through.

No pace, no creativity, poor crossing. Please take care of it so Carroll doesn't have to feed of tablescraps...
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:14 pm

Any news on Ashley Young ?

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Dundalk » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:16 pm

Kash_Mountain wrote:Any news on Ashley Young ?

Not happening
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:32 pm

If Adams doesn't sign can't say we had a succesful Transfer Window, We Lost a World Class Striker ,We payed a $hit load on a very talented boy way too much and we Got Suaretz which is great but can't play in Europe. We didn't strangthen our defence nor midfield....Surely there were much more options in Europe which our technical team couldn't detect ,shame.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:53 pm

I whinged at us paying £20 million for Robbie Keane, I also whinged when we payed £17 million for Glen Johnson. But with Roy Carroll, although I agree it is a ridiculous amount, if he does the job for us by scoring goals and creating many chances then the years to come will see that fee repaid with interest. Also we have spent that money on a good young player and we are actually competing in the transfer market for the first time in what seems like aeons !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mkingdom » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:06 pm

Penguins wrote:Totally agree.

I just can't believe the club is satisfied with Kuyt, Maxi, Jovanovic as our wide players.

Not even Birmingham would be happy with that setup...
Just midtable quality straight through.

No pace, no creativity, poor crossing. Please take care of it so Carroll doesn't have to feed of tablescraps...

KK plays 4-3-3

Reina

Kelly  Carra  Agger  Johnson

Mereiles  Gerrard  Lucas

Kuyt   Carroll   Suarez

I'm not saying we shouldn't sign Adam or a winger, but we look good with that 11, with Cole, Ngog, Jova, Maxi, Shelvey, Spearing, Wilson, Skrtel, Pacheco, Aurelio, and Soto also available.
mkingdom

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:23 pm

I have mixed feelings about our business. On the one hand, it's a relief to know we'll have two respectable (and two very different) options up-front instead of just Torres. In Suarez we have a cultured second-striker and in Carroll we have something completely different to what we've had previously - a powerful target man - and we've missed a strong aerial option up-front since Crouch left, IMO. Both are young, and this being a major step up to what they are used to, also have a point to prove. The pair of them also have a bit of history on the disciplinary front, and while that aggressive streak represents a risk, if positively channelled it can be turned into an advantage. Neither, though, are truly proven in a top European League and the combined fee of £57m is simply extraordinary. They really do have to hit it off to justify the money spent.
LFC2007

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:50 am

LFC2007 wrote:I have mixed feelings about our business. On the one hand, it's a relief to know we'll have two respectable (and two very different) options up-front instead of just Torres. In Suarez we have a cultured second-striker and in Carroll we have something completely different to what we've had previously - a powerful target man - and we've missed a strong aerial option up-front since Crouch left, IMO. Both are young, and this being a major step up to what they are used to, also have a point to prove. The pair of them have a bit of history on the disciplinary front, and while that aggressive streak represents a risk, if positively channelled it can be turned into an advantage. Neither, though, are truly proven in a top European League and the combined fee of £57m is simply extraordinary. They really do have to hit it off to justify the money spent.

im also concerned by the business done and to be honest i think we have overpayed massively for the two players. We also failed to strengthen to areas of the pitch where to be quite frank we are hopeless, centre back and the wings. The defence is like a siv and we struggle to create against the worst teams and now that we have sold Babel and Torres we have almost zero pace in the team.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:53 am

The rest of this season will be tought with the players we currently have at our disposal, and it will surely take Carroll and Suarez a while to get the partnership going, If we can make Europe this season I will be happy, but this summer will require a major overhaul, hopefully at some sensible rates of purchasing players
burjennio

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:27 am

Our net spend for the window worked out at about £1.8m
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby OneHotRed » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:53 am

No spend and I feel we have improved the team, not in the most important areas i feel we needed (defense) however, with forward players that can hold up the ball and use it better than i feel Torres did, some pressure may be relieved off them.
OneHotRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby worcester_red » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:56 am

We have definitely improved the team, we have gone from one good striker to 2 good strikers without actually spending to much.
worcester_red

Postby OneHotRed » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:46 pm

Even more inportant, we have a player now who can hold up the ball, that IMO was Torres's only weak area, lost it a fair amount with his back to goal, that wont happen with Carroll, I cant wait to see him sh1t in John Terrys mouth!
OneHotRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Calum » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:54 pm

Disappointed we didn't get Charlie Adam - I guess Tottenham put in a better offer. I'm hoping we'll sign him in the summer.
Calum

Postby crim cram » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:04 pm

If this is the last transfer window in which the "fair play" rules don't matter, then we should have bought more players.  I think we should have worked out a deal for Ashley Young and given Villa time to get in a replacement.  He's the best player in their squad and would be brilliant for us.  He's 25 and maybe FSG think that's too old to invest in a player that relies on pace so much.  I hope they address both wings in the Summer because that is(was) our weakness ATM along w/ central defense.
“Me having no education. I had to use my brains.”  Shankly
crim cram
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion