The left back situation... - ...an old problem

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:08 pm

The current left back situation is a bit of a worry I think most people will agree.  Insua can be forgiven for inexperience at times, but his performances this season have been consistently poor imo.  He struggles positionally and most of all he is just too slow and gets stripped for pace when isolated against any winger with a bit of speed.  He's young and learning still, he'll get better positionally, but he'll not get quicker.  Compare him to the left backs at our rivals - Evra, Cole, Clichy are light years ahead of Insua and if we want to get back up there challenging then we need a better player in there.

It got me thinking though - when was the last time we had a good left back?  You could argue Aurelio last season when he managed to stay free of injuries for long spells.  But before that there's been a long list of failures.  Traore, Ziege, Dossena, Harkness, Dicks etc etc.

Riise was a good player but always better coming forward.  Carragher was probably our most solid left back when Houllier played him there in our treble season, but offered nothing going forward.  Warnock has come on at Villa and is a decent player, but imo never as good as some make out.  Under Evans we played with wing backs but even then it was McAteer and Jones so we never had a natural left footer unless the distinctly average Bjornebye played.

I think you need to go back to Steve Staunton's first spell at the club for the last time we had a genuinely quality left back (he was too slow to play fullback when we brought him back and was past it to be quite honest).

We were continually linked to Evra before United signed him, shame we didn't get him as he is top class.  So any suggestions for who we could bring in?  We may have missed the boat with Bale, I think we could have got him a season ago when he was out of favour at Spurs.  I think Drenthe could be a good attacking full back although left mid seems to be where he gets played, and he doesn't get much game time at the moment.  I'm struggling to think of any decent suggestions to be honest, but we need to do something.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:23 pm

i'm stumped on that one too. in an ideal world i would pay someone the money a new player would cost to fix aurelio for once. like you say, when he had a run last season he looked excellent, and on the occasions he has played this season he has also looked the business. maybe onece these new medics get settled in to their jobs we'll get a couple of our sick notes playing a few more games and it won't look so bad...

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:13 pm

Carragher left back
Greek in the middle
Sorted
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby roberto green » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:27 pm

Sir Roger wrote:Carragher left back
Greek in the middle
Sorted

Simples   :grinning:
roberto green

Postby Sir Roger » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:37 pm

roberto green wrote:
Greek in the middle
Sorted

Just like me
:eyebrow
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:52 pm

Yes we saw the left back situation problem at it's worst in the Benfica game, very poor decissions from Insua, and most of them we can blame to inexperience and/or a player not handling well pressure.

His inexperience wouldn't have been that much of a problem had the Fabio Aurelio injury nightmare hadn't continued this season.

And for the future what, do we take the Benfica and this season as the proof Insua won't be good enough? I wouldn't agree that. Even if I agree the Benfica game was a very bad one, with lots of judgement decissions, I think that lad has quality for our future.

It's a bit like Agger, whose inexperience we paid at some points, but I think he must be our CB for many years.

The problem is that besides a future we have a present, and right now we have a very big -- and old -- problem in the left back
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:52 pm

Sir Roger wrote:
roberto green wrote:
Greek in the middle
Sorted

Just like me

Choping and changing like Rafa?  :D

Just kidding.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:54 pm

Agger left back tomorrow for me , he can defend and get forward. The greek and Carragher in the middle with Jonno on the right
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:01 pm

Ive always thought Agger would suit left back to be honest..

I would be more than happy with Aurelio as our 1st choice left back but he's injury prone.

The only left back that I can think of who we might be able to get cheap is Belhadj from Pourtsmouth. Ive seen him going forward a lot and he looks very strong. But ive never really seen how good he is defensively.
Fauxy

Postby Sir Roger » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Sabre wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:
roberto green wrote:
Greek in the middle
Sorted

Just like me

Choping and changing like Rafa?  :D

Just kidding.

:blush:
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Aussie Style » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:30 pm

john craig wrote:I'm struggling to think of any decent suggestions to be honest, but we need to do something.

Taye Taiwo of Marseille would be a fantastic signing IMO. Reasonably quick, left footed, good strength, can put a good ball in, gets stuck in, can take freekicks and corners and has an absolute bullet of a shot. Nigerian international and still only 24. Would cost £10mil or more though.
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:21 pm

Aussie Style wrote:
john craig wrote:I'm struggling to think of any decent suggestions to be honest, but we need to do something.

Taye Taiwo of Marseille would be a fantastic signing IMO. Reasonably quick, left footed, good strength, can put a good ball in, gets stuck in, can take freekicks and corners and has an absolute bullet of a shot. Nigerian international and still only 24. Would cost £10mil or more though.

Thats who i have read somewhere that we have been linked with.
I havent seen enough of him to know whether he is good enough.
But replacing Insua needs to be a priority definately.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Aussie Style » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:57 pm

Aforementioned bullet of a shot/freekick ability

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9L8VyDnrg4&feature=youtube_gdata

Would love to see him here.
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby red_guy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Aussie Style wrote:

Good shout. This guy is good. Agree.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:27 pm

10 mill... we have not got 10 quid!!
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion