Riise - Are solution for our left wing?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:08 pm

I know its just West Brom but maybe we should consider converting him as a permanant keft winger. Hes got the stamina, strength, pace and thunderous left foot and likes to attack more than defend. If that is to happen, Troare will make his left back position his own. You'll have to feel for Harry Kewell becuase hes really starting to show some form and if any of this were to happen, he would be on the bench.

We know John Arne Riise likes to attack more than defend and is probably better at attacking than defending. Whats your opinions?

Excuse the thread name as i've made a mistake. Should really be:

Riise
Our solution for the left wing?

Excuse this thread if this has already been mentioned or posted somewhere.
Last edited by chiggz_likes_owen on Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:16 pm

Riise had a blinder today but Traores to dogey in that position dont forget it was only WBA not chelsea or the gooners.
I cant see Rafa playing him on the wing permanently even tho he is more effective in this position.
He was fantastic today great game lad.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:19 pm

He's a better full back.

He can do similar damage from that position, he lacks the skill and vision to play in midfield. The way i'd have my team playing he'd be the perfect left back.
115-1073096938

Postby LFCFan4Life » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:06 pm

He had a good game but against the worst side in the Premiership. Not the solution and the only reason he played in the midfield today is because Kewell is injured.
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:17 pm

but the way he played it didn't look like he was just filling in. i reckon he prefers to play in the more forward position and was making a big statement about it today. have you noticed that when he plays more forward he's confident about having a crack at goal whenever possible?

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:24 am

that would work to great effect against some sides, but other sides (aka good sides) anticipate that and can counter it with a run of their own.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:35 am

No, his control is not good enough.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Dalglish » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:52 am

Agreed. Rise has always been a preferred option at left back for me but deputises well at left Midfield . If Kewell's recent improvement continues we won't need Rise to play left Mid and his attacking abilities willcontinue to make us a much more attack monded side :)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:46 am

he's  full back with some skill!
whylongball?

Postby whelston23 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:51 am

i think he is the best attacking left back in the premiership.. seriously..
can be a new carlos... haha...
whelston23

Postby ssss » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:10 am

NOPE!!

Riise's a leftback through and through.....
ssss

Postby dawson99 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:33 am

roberto risse as we like to call him.
i like risse but kewell is looking better with each game and would get the nod ahead. its nice to know weve got some cover ni the futuer tho and as aleft back risse can make his darting runs forward every now and again anyways
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby addicted norwegian » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:05 pm

dawson99 wrote:roberto risse as we like to call him.
i like risse but kewell is looking better with each game and would get the nod ahead. its nice to know weve got some cover ni the futuer tho and as aleft back risse can make his darting runs forward every now and again anyways

I totally agree. Yesterdays performance was probably the best ever for Riise in the Liverpool-shirt, but he has proven earlier on several occations that he hasn`t got the technical skills needed to take on a defender. The only way he seems to pass his full back is when coming from behind using pace and stamina instead of techninc in his attempts to approach the box.
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:12 pm

as long as you pass the full back it doesn't really matter how you do it - dribbling past him with the ball or making good runs into that position to receive the ball. once riise gets a bit of space around that corner of the penalty area i always get the feeling he's gonna score. the way he can hit a ball with that left foot is breathtaking at times.

i agree that we need him more at left back than in midfield but hopefully rafa can develop the system that allows him to get into those forward positions.

wow - the guy was just on fire yesterday.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oakton » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:13 pm

The thing with Riise is he has no backup plans for his decisions, once he has the ball he just wanna go for the goal, he doesnt even consider other possible or better options, this is due to the lack of football smarts in him.
oakton

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion