Summer transfer targets.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Italian Job 2005 » Fri May 27, 2005 5:37 pm

Everyone seems to have had their say about who they think will leave this summer and for what its worth, here's my take on the imminent clearout.

Dudek
Traore
Smicer
Baros
Biscan
Diao
Diouf
Mellor
Le Tallec
Kewell

However, im far more interested in who will be coming to Anfield.  Rumours are everywhere, with Liverpool linked with several top quality players.

By far the most exciting of these is Joaquin.  Forget SWP, this guy is far better.  We're talking in the class of Robben and possibly even better.  Real Madrid have been linked with him for ages but have never made a move.  Man U are also said to have made an approach, but with our Spanish Contingent, Anfield may well appear a more inviting prospect.  Joaquin himself said in an interview that he was more familiar with Liverpool because of its Spanish connections.

The imminent arrival of Reina seems to be basically a done deal.  It appears we're going to have to pay in the region of 6-8 million for him and I just hope that he's as good a keeper as Cech who was bought for 7 million.

Owen Hargreaves arrival also seems highly probable.  Although I dont think he should be a first choice player, I do think he will be a valuable asset and is exactly the sort of signing we need if we are to win the Premiership within the next few years.  If you look at Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea, they all have quality to replace quality and at 2-3 million Hargreaves could become an invaluable asset at a bargain price.

Replacing Traore at left-back will hopefully be Evra - think Ashley Cole and you get a picture of what this player is like.  This guy is a class act and in my opinion would be a welcome addition to the squad.  He's far more attacking than Traore and would hopefully give us excellent width and more penetration down the flanks.

Fernando Torres is another name widely touted - I personally find this hard to believe.  If we bought him we would have to empty our transfer kitty for the summer and I would rather see Cisse and Morientes given a crack at leading the line.  Cisse can hardly be judged on this season alone and he did bloody well to make it back from injury by the end of this season.  I still have great faith that he can become the striker he was in the French League.  Morientes was unfortunately cup-tied and has also suffered injuries.  He is still adapting to a new country and I see him becoming a great asset next season as he becomes more familiar with the Premiership.  I don't deny however, that we need more cover in the forward line.  It seems far more likely that we will either sign Crouch or Johnson - possibly both.  This is no bad thing as both have a proven pedigree in the Premiership - netting 17 and 21 goals respectively last season.

Finally I would not be at all surprised if Benitez raided Valencia as it is a team he knows well.  Do not be surprised if either Baraja or Aimar come to Anfield within the next month.

Finally this is a list of every player that we have been linked with over the last few months - if even half of this lot arrives then the future looks promising.

Sergio Ramos
Jesus Navas
Nicolas Anelka
Jose Manuel Reina
Michael Ballack
Ruben Baraja
Peter Crouch
Andy Johnson
Dirk Kuyt
Stelios
Joaquin
Shaun Wright Phillips
Fernando Torres
Marek Mintal
Pablo Ibanez
Milito
Ricardo
Owen Hargreaves
Michael Owen
Del Horno
Patrice Evra
Pablo Aimar
Vincente
Mista
Sissoko
Tomas Rosicky
Vincent Kompany
The Italian Job 2005

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 27, 2005 6:14 pm

agree with a lot of what you say mate but i`d keep dudek and traore. djimi`s still quite young and his favoured position is centre half so i`d keep him as cover if we do sign this left back. he has improved a lot under rafa and who`s to say he`ll stop here - defenders get better with age and experience.
regarding the keepers i`d keep dudek and sell kirkland, i think its too risky to sell our current no.1 because who`s to say this reina is going to be the answer to our keeping problems, the likes of kirkland, friedel and david james all looked class acts until they played for us. we are in the same boat as united with keepers because some players who look very competent at other clubs come apart at the seams when they don the gloves for a high profile outfit.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby stapo1000 » Fri May 27, 2005 6:28 pm

Some of those players wouldn't be good enough for what rafa has in mind:
stelios, johnson, crouch, anelka.
Some of them aren't realistic targets:
w. phillips, ballack, joaquin, owen, del horno, torres.
Some I have never heard of:
Ramos, Navas, Ibanez, Ricardo
Some of them I've heard of but know little or nothing about or have never seen them play:
Mintal, Kompany, Kuyt
The rest, however, could be possible targets, but it's too early to speculate. Cant we wait til the manager and players are back from there (well earned) summer breaks and then we'll talk sh*te about comings and goings til the cows come home :p
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri May 27, 2005 6:35 pm

Nevre heard of ViNcente.
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Fri May 27, 2005 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby stapo1000 » Fri May 27, 2005 8:21 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Nevre heard of ViNcente.

Valencia left winger. Would be excellent signing but very expensive (15+mil)
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Fri May 27, 2005 8:22 pm

oh sorry, just see now that you were takin the p!ss
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 27, 2005 8:30 pm

Valencia are gonna lose most of the players over the summer. if we get any it will be baraja IMO
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Fri May 27, 2005 8:31 pm

dawson99 wrote:Valencia are gonna lose most of the players over the summer. if we get any it will be baraja IMO

Ideal replacement for didi should he leave
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby onizukaeikichi » Fri May 27, 2005 8:36 pm

one of the most delicious things are joaquin and kompany
onizukaeikichi

Postby Gareth G » Fri May 27, 2005 10:23 pm

I've never seen the word "nevre" before!
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri May 27, 2005 10:45 pm

I've never seen the word "nevre" before!

:D Stu you might want to check your own spelling next time, tumblesh1t.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Eazy-E » Fri May 27, 2005 11:36 pm

Yes, Traore was playing the Milan strikers onside the whole night. I think Baros might stay ??? I think he can improve next season. We need some centre-back's as cover for Jamie and Sami. I hope Didi stays cause we have a classy midfield. Kewell is gone. If we get Joaquin then we have the key to unlock defences.
''I kick :censored: and i take names. You're in my pocket. Shut your mouth. Rest your gums. I own you bitch.''
Eazy-E

Postby LiverpoolUSA » Sat May 28, 2005 12:26 am

Could anybody tell us a little bit about the players being mentioned to come to Anfield for us who don't get to see as many games? Or at least tell us about the big/promising names that might come
LiverpoolUSA

Postby lfclfclfc » Sat May 28, 2005 12:43 am

pretty comprehensive list of players linked with us. just a couple more additions - david albelda from valencia and mark gonzalez from albacete.

though rafa has been promised a sizeable transfer kitty (around 30m), this is not exactly a sum for free-spending. in my opinion. these are the areas we need strengthening.

?
                        carson

finnan    carragher          ?               ?
    ?         hyypia         traore       warnock

?         gerrard        alonso         riise
nunez     hamann        welsh            ?

garcia
                          morientes

?
                cisse
lfclfclfc

Postby L-type » Sat May 28, 2005 5:16 am

Reina
                       carson
                        Dudek

finnan      carragher          ?             Patrice Evrah
Josemi    hyypia         traore       warnock

Joaquin?   gerrard        alonso         riise
nunez     hamann        welsh            Kewell

garcia
                         morientes
                          Mellor
                          Pongolle

cisse

Deep squad but we have the money for it considering we have 30 mil plus 6-8 mil more for baros.  Joaquin is the only person we would have trouble with, but i think he would fancy us over chelsea any day.  If not it was posted that we launched a bid for swp.  Mellor is british, someone we need for the homegrown rule" Pongolle is getting better and better.  We need experience so i would reccomend keeping dudek.  WE dont need any right backs as we have finnan and josemi.  Finally Kewell will have until january to impress and then he'll be gone for whatever money we can salvage from him as well as hopefully sign evra.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion