Transfer window - Closed 'til summer

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:50 am

I waited for three months with apprehention for the transfer window to open (you know new manager and all that), but now it is over I feel a little let down (although I am happy about Morra). The major talk this month has been whether or not Gerrard will stay, and not who will come.

My point is this, I wander how many pre-contracts have been signed (afterall the transfer window includes all negotiations between players and clubs). It may be that very good players have been "pre-signed" to come in summer on a Bosman's.

Finally if Gerrard has been sold, You would think that Raffa would have brought in a major midfielder (especially with the injuries we have had). After all, he must make sure of Champions league football to bring in good players in the summer and you would have thought he would have spent the potential Gerrard money to make sure of it. So whether Gerrard leaves or not, I think the deal has not been done.

Still all to play for...
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:58 am

Good post. I too felt a little bit let down by the activity (or lack of it) shown by LFC in the transfer window. I wanted to see a centre half and an attacking midfielder come in along with mr Morientes and mr Carson.
But every time the window opens, I worry about the whole Stevie G thing. I don't want to see him leave as when he goes, so will the passion and one of the best players I have ever seen put on the Red shirt. But I think you're right. We would have seen a lot of serious spending if he was destined to go, so that perks me up a bit. What we really need now is an ambulance, a magic lamp and a miracle. Well, stranger things...
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:17 am

We have until 12 oclock tonight, you never know maybe a suprise will spring up today, either that or we are totally skint.
I would have liked one or 2 players come onloan, for cover in the Champions League, we only have Baros and Mellor now for these games and if Baros gets injured, defences will be quaking in there boots at the thought of Mellor, no disrepect to the kid like but its true.

Another issue alot of quality players are cup tied so there was no point really buying top class players that would not be eligible to play for us.
I think Rafas wrote this season off TBH all this Stevie sh#t all the injuries, I know I cant wait for it to be over.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:27 am

That is my point, I wander if all the activities have revolved around "pre-contracts".
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:22 am

kazza wrote:That is my point, I wander if all the activities have revolved around "pre-contracts".

mmmmm.................. yer I know what ya mean but again disruption in the side come the season 2005-2006 new players again no consistancy loosing not gaining anything over the top 3 again.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby IrishRed » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:24 pm

I doubt Bentiez has written this season off...We can win a Cup and need that 4th Place....I`m happy we signed Nando and Carson....

We need more quality,but we have a good team,once Alonso,Cisse and Kewell are fully fit....Remember Houllier finished 7th in his 1st season....Bentiez is the right man for the job....He just needs time and some luck....

Look at Chelsea having a great season,but also having the luck that is needed to win silverware......

Bentiez has had the worst luck in the world with injuries plus all the Gerrard rumours...I think its amazing he has us in 5th place....

Nando will come good,and more quality will arrive in the summer...Remember Bentiez has already overcome moneybags Madrid...He can do it again given time.....He has to rebuild Liverpool....Liverpool fans need to put the past where it belongs and look to the future...We will always remember the great teams but have to look forward now.....
IrishRed

Postby el_stinger » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:10 pm

Guys we don't have the money for more signings, so with Mori and Carson coming, twas a great plus.

Don't get down in the dumps, remember, we are still in a great position this year to come away with 4th spot and a cup. Dont forget we are still competing in Champions League, that will instill some much needed morale.

All this with the smallest squad ever, is a pretty mean effort.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:26 pm

i absolutely despise the transfer window. i still can't work out what benefit it has. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby el_stinger » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:34 pm

Is that a serious question??   
???
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:39 pm

Look at it this way. We've signed:
Morientes - top, top quality striker. So our goal tally is certain to improve.
Carson - very good young goalkeeper. Arguably a better prospect than Kirkland
Pellegrino - an experienced defender, who will challenge Hyypia once his fitness level improves.

We've recalled:
Le Tallec - who should never have gone in the first place. He's definitely a better prospect than Pongolle, and looked sharp as anything in the pre-season games.

We've got rid of:
Diao - and about time too.

Another huge plus is that Everton haven't splashed out on a good enough replacement for Graveson. Arteta isn't a bad player by any means, but I can't see them going anywhere other than down now. The defeat against Charlton was a key result for me, and showed them up as the overachieving top 10 team that they really are.

I expected more from the January window, but money is clearly tight, and Rafa has shown that he's not one for a quick fix. And can we please stop talking as if every signing has been made with Gerrard's feelings in mind? Yes, he's important, but this is all getting a little old now.
ivor_the_injun

Postby mrcool2003 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:18 pm

arterta is not a good player at all, he was at rangers for a few months and was ******

glad we didnt get him, but i dont think its beyond us to brign in loans
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maure_is_sh1t » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:25 pm

i can only hope that morientes don't flop like reyes in arsenal though... i heard reyes scored only like twice in 19 games...thats terrible...
maure_is_sh1t

Postby Woollyback » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:33 pm

maure_is_sh1t wrote:i can only hope that morientes don't flop like reyes in arsenal though... i heard reyes scored only like twice in 19 games...thats terrible...

Reyes a flop at Arsenal ???
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:43 pm

and arteta has been class in spain as far as i recall.... hmmm
reyes lately has said hes homesick, will go to spain or italy in summer, in a swap with del piero
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:44 pm

del piero's well past it. i can't see why arsenal would let one of the brightest young talents in europe go for him.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion