Summer plans - Top priorities and realstic targets

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby the return of HAS » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:33 am

I know it is a little early but I think we should at least be planning our summer transfer activity by now. I believe we have 4 main priorities. In order of importance:

-Right Sided Midfielder – On the moment we have Garcia, Nunez and Smicer who can play there. Nunez is not of a high enough quality, Smicer is not suited to play in a wide position and looks set to leave anyway, and though Garcia is not bad he is not consistent enough and I think we could do better. My number one realistic target would be WESLEY SNIJDER of Ajax. He is a regular in the Holland side, can score and create. I think he is a player who could go straight into the first team, and I have heard that he has only next season to run on his contract so we could expect to get him for an expectable fee.

- Centre Back – We have longed for a centre back with pace for some time but for some reason it has never materialised. My top target would be SAMUEL KUFFOUR of Bayern Munich. He is strong and quick, has winners and runners up Champions League medals, and has played at the top end of the German league and Champions league for sometime. He is on a free transfer and the end of the season and he has said his first choice is to come to the Premiership, he is at a prime age of 28 and could give us a good 5 years service. With Kuffour alongside Carragher, and Hyypia as backup that would be a strong department for us. I know a lot of people rave on about Whitbread but I think that Raven is the better player so he would be my forth choice, he would have the opportunity to learn of three experienced defenders.

-Left Sided Midfielder – I can see Troare leaving in the summer and that would leave Riise as our first choice left back and Warnock as back up. Kewell is unchallenged as first choice left sided midfielder and I think we need a genuine left sided midfielder to put the pressure on Kewell. I can’t really think of a realistic target of sufficient quality of the top of my head.

- Central Midfielder – With Gerrard, Biscan and Diao set to leave that leaves us a bit bare. Also I don’t think Rafa will hang on to Diarra as he likes his central midfielder to be a bit more technical gifted and comfortable on the ball. John Welsh has just signed a new contract and Rafa seems to like Potter (He has appeared for us in all 4 competitions this season). So I think that Alonso and Hamann (if he signs a new contract) will be our first choice next season, and I think we need 1 more proven central midfielder. My choice would be MARK VAN BOMMEL of PSV, he is also available on a free transfer and wants a move to the Premiership. He is also at a prime age of 27 and could take over from Hamann after a year. That would mean Alonso, Hamann and Van Bommel fighting for 2 spots and Welsh and Potter fighting for 4th choice.

I know we are likely to buy more than 4 players in the summer but those 4 positions would have to be our priorities. 2 players would be coming for free and I’m sure we could get Wesley Snijder between 4 – 7 MIL. So there would be plenty of money left over from the Gerrard sale to buy more players.

I would love to know what you think of my views on our priorities and my choice of targets.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:41 am

some interesting ideas Has, I would go all out to get Vicente on the left wing.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:11 am

Aimar his talents are wasted rotting on the bench at Valencia Ayala aswell dunno why his bein frozen out at Valencia i don't think his played all season for them.If we could get Rosicky at a cut price i would welcome him but unlikely we would get anyone of them :(
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:55 am

Great post! But to buy these players, we need money. So we need to sell them first like Hypia, Hamman, Biscan, Diao, and Diouf.  Don’t get me wrong, they are good players, but maybe not in EPL or their days has gone. I will still like to see the young talent like John Welsh, Diarra and David Raven (This boy really impress me).

BTW, selling SG is like “killing the heart of Liverpool ”. Bad idea to sell him.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:34 am

HAS, let me get this right, you want us to sign Samuel Kaffour from Bayern Munich to play centre half for us in place of Hyppia?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:05 am

hey, why not sign someone English? Dont ask me who, it just seems like we're turning into a foreign premiership.

Im a grumpy b@stard today folks.  :(
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:06 am

lol lee j happy lad.
i cant say who we should or should no get. it all depends on the funds available, and it all depends on whether we sell a certain lad or not
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:15 am

Let's face it. It all depends on if we get CL football next year. If we end up in the useless cup, our options will be limited!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:29 am

LiverpoolMadman wrote:Great post! But to buy these players, we need money. So we need to sell them first like Hypia, Hamman, Biscan, Diao, and Diouf.  Don’t get me wrong, they are good players, but maybe not in EPL or their days has gone. I will still like to see the young talent like John Welsh, Diarra and David Raven (This boy really impress me).

BTW, selling SG is like “killing the heart of Liverpool ”. Bad idea to sell him.

There is more to Liverpool than Steven Gerrard. I say sell him to stop stupid comments like these.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fingers » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:44 am

i do think there will be changes next season (can you really see the likes of Biscan etc, gracing us with there presence next season??  no me neither)

but i'd imagine that many of these will be of the Alonso/Garcia type signings, had somone asked you before the season start who you would have bought to partner Gerrard in the middle of the park, how many could truthfully say Xabi Alonso, and yet Rafa buys him and he is  absolute quality, i think we will all be suprised (on more than one level) as to which players come in for next season.
As always I am focused on supporting the Cloob and the Manager
Fingers

Postby ckay » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:47 am

I just hope we get CL football so we have a better chance of holding onto our top players and also getting the higher tier of players to sign.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:01 pm

I would go all out to get Wright-Phillips for the right, I think he would be perfect, and I think a big enough bid would get him due to Man City's debts (just depends if we have the cash)

Also I reckon its a matter of time before Souness makes more enemies up at Newcastle, so maybe someone like Kieron Dyer might become available in the summer for centre-mid?

For cheaper options elsewhere, Kuffour isnt a bad shout as I think he may be free in the summer
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:41 pm

If I could choose only ONE player. I'd go for Aleksander Hleb. He is a fantastic player. Personally I think he would be an ideal replacement for Steven Gerrard if he leaves in the summer. Hleb is surely one of the best and most creative midfielders in the Bundesliga. I also think he is a good professional. There's no bullsh!t and he is no booze boy, late night party hoe f@ckin pimp.

A lot of players ruin their careers by acting like spoiled children. Kieron Dyer for instance. If he hadn't been out drinking 24/7 he could have become a great player. What about this Barton moran some want to sign? Not to mention Collymore, Hutchinson and the rest of the pack. Give me Aleksander Hleb and Xabi Alonso. Those guys are great players and they have a good professional attitude.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby the return of HAS » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:16 pm

LFC #1 wrote:some interesting ideas Has, I would go all out to get Vicente on the left wing.

Vicente is a quality player, and I know he has only next year to run on his contract. Also he has the same agent as Rafa, and the Valencia connection they had would help.

The only thing that I would be worried about is that some big clubs may be sniffing about if he looks set to leave.

But it’s a good shout.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the return of HAS » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:21 pm

the great one wrote:Aimar his talents are wasted rotting on the bench at Valencia Ayala aswell dunno why his bein frozen out at Valencia i don't think his played all season for them.If we could get Rosicky at a cut price i would welcome him but unlikely we would get anyone of them :(

Aimar - He is a good player, but I'm not sure how he would fit into our system, and also I think it may be a bit risky, because he seems like the sort of player who would have trouble adapting to the Premiership

Ayala - He is too old now.

Rosicky - He is the one that I would be most interested in out of the three. But i don't know if Rafa will play that sort of player in the centre and does he really like playing on the right. But it is a good suggestion.
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion