Out with the old, in with the new! - Summer transfer activity!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dakoo1981 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:30 am

I dont think I am alone in saying that this current liverpool team is falling short of meeting everyones expectations. In my opinion I think that big changes in personel are needed. Look how far we have fallen behind arsenal, united and chelsea. Gerrard Houllier's tactics and choices this term have left alot to be desired. Sadly i dont share the same belief in this team as he does, and i find it no surpsrise he is under intense pressure. His excuses arent cutting it anymore.

To be fair though blame should not be placed solely on his shoulders. Its out there on the pitch what really matters. And this team frankly are letting the fans down all over the pitch. The whole team has become stale and we have too many mediocre players. Our star players like Gerrard and Owen will not stay for long if things dont change.

Ive made a list of players I would like to see leave the club this summer, and a list i would like to see join us. Please feel free to share you opinions with me.

Firstly the players who i would want out. I feel that they have given us as much as we can expect from them. I dont think they can help take this club forward.

OUT
Heskey
Biscan
Diouf
Diao
Baros
Murphy
Henchoz
Hamman
Smicer
Cheyrou

I think this is alot of players to get rid of in one season but if we can get the following players i think we will do alot better next season. I also think we can get about £30million for selling all of these players.

Now the players who I would like to see join us

IN
Cisse
Tristan
Mexes/Stam
M. Svensson (Southampton)
Giuly/Malbranque
Van Bommel/Van de Vaart
Wright Phillips
Jay Jay Okocha

I think we should try really hard to get Jay Jay because he will be free in the summer!!! He could definitly make things happen and give ammunition to owen, which he has been lacking in alot this season!

I reckon we could get all of the players above for £50-£60million. Lets hope the club makes it to 4th this season and the board is willing to invest the extra £30 million having sold all of our mentioned players.

Tell me what you think.
dakoo1981

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:22 am

I can see where you're going here dakoo....well, I'm going to keep this short and sweet..

I think we should keep Baros because he is young, pacey and a good player

i think we should also find a replacement for hamann, sometimes he pisses me of espicially when we were against Arsenal[away] Southampton[home] when he randomly tries to do a tackle and falls :laugh:

Otherwise everyone else must go

What do you guys comment on Riise? I think we should keep him, what do you think?

I hope to see WP, Mexes and Cisse nest season

Some of them are unrealistic targets...Van Der Vaart i don't think so
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:57 am

Heskey
Biscan
Diouf
Diao
Baros
Murphy
Henchoz
Hamman
Smicer
Cheyrou

Hamann is one of our best players.
Murphy is an excellent squad player capable of scoring 10+ goals a season.
Baros hasn't had a chance and has impressed when he has played.
Smicer still has something to offer even if its only as a bit part player.
Henchoz is an excellent defender and it would be silly to let him go.

I think you are simply nutz.

Svensson is no better than Henchoz. Tristan and van der Vaart wouldn't come to Liverpool. Okocha isn't a Liverpool style player and would never fit into a 4-4-2 and Stam wouldn't come as he's ex Manchester United.

Cisse looks a superb player, Mexes..... i'm not convinced but he's been watched by europes top clubs so there must be something there, Malbrangue is a very good player and Guily of Monaco looks superb.

A massive clear out isn't whats needed. Its a trim down on the cr#p and to improve the first 11. 4 out and 3 in.
115-1073096938

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:06 am

Where were you when Baros playing, Dakoo?
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SantaGiveHoullierTheSack » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:26 am

We can't afford to off load so many players and replaced them with so many new faces in one go. Things might not gel. Gradual change is the key!
I say out with:
-Cheyrou (next to useless, makes you wonder about Houllier's judgement)
-Dioa (couldn't pass, couldn't play)
-Diouf (erratic. Could be MOTM one day and clueless the next)
-Heskey (pathetic scoring record for a centre forward, nuff said!)
-Traore (Bambi on ice? Error prone. Just not good enough)
-Hamann (one steady player I hate to see leaving but will still command a good fees for our new recruits. Also will help our more attacking oriented approach)
To be replaced by:
+Cisse (good, pacey and powerful but how long before he produce?)
+Ibrahimnovic (tall & skillful...sould complement Owen)
+Dawson/Mexes (pacey defender to play alongside Hyppia)
+Makaay (if available)

That should be enough new faces for this summer. Gel them and change our playing style. We need quality and not quantity as we have too many squard players already.
...and please no Wright-Phillips. Our forward is too lightweight already!
SantaGiveHoullierTheSack

Postby swiss_kopite » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:26 am

[quote="dakoo1981"][/quote]
agree, except these:

OUT:
- no way:
  - murphy -> good teamplayer
  - baros   -> can't see why he should leave
  - (henchoz)  -> good defender, but maybe he wont accept to sit on the bank

IN:
- no way:
  - tristan -> overrated, was longtime-injured
  - stam -> do you know where he played before???
  - jay jay okocha -> doesn't fit to the kop

if we should buy a new striker (except cisse, if he's really coming; forget about makaay: he's very strong, but bayern would never let him go), why not frei from stade rennes? he scored i think 15 goals this season even though rennes isn't a top club and he wasn't in the starting 11 all the time. he would be cheap, but really good
swiss_kopite

Postby Paul C » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:59 am

Get rid of Baros and Hamann are you joking  :D

Murphy is a good squad player but not a starting 11 player and I think Henchoz deserves to stay.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:28 am

swiss_kopite wrote:
dakoo1981 wrote:

agree, except these:

OUT:
- no way:
  - murphy -> good teamplayer
  - baros   -> can't see why he should leave
  - (henchoz)  -> good defender, but maybe he wont accept to sit on the bank

IN:
- no way:
  - tristan -> overrated, was longtime-injured
  - stam -> do you know where he played before???
  - jay jay okocha -> doesn't fit to the kop

if we should buy a new striker (except cisse, if he's really coming; forget about makaay: he's very strong, but bayern would never let him go), why not frei from stade rennes? he scored i think 15 goals this season even though rennes isn't a top club and he wasn't in the starting 11 all the time. he would be cheap, but really good

Er... your all forgeting one important thing? none or very little of this will happen if GH, and thommo/sammy lee are still in charge next season, coz none of them can spot talent if it hit them in the face!, and yes i would clear out the dead wood with GH at the top of it.
OUT
henchoz
murphy
diao
douif
smicer
hamman
traore
biscan
cheyrou
heskey
These players have either had their chance to prove that they are good enough to wear the`red`shirt and failed miserably, they are overated, or some of them will never `cut` it with Liverpool. ???
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby swiss_kopite » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:00 am

REDTILLDEAD wrote:OUT
henchoz
murphy
diao
douif
smicer
hamman
traore
biscan
cheyrou
heskey
These players have either had their chance to prove that they are good enough to wear the`red`shirt and failed miserably, they are overated, or some of them will never `cut` it with Liverpool. ???

henchoz, hamann, heskey and murphy??? in which of your three 'categories' would you put them?

imo:
- henchoz is still strong
- hamann too, but i would still sell him (for a good price)
- heskey WAS good, some time ago i was quite glad he was with us!
- murphy???

i think the way (especially) heskey is treated is unfair! he may have lost his strength and i'm glad if he leaves (hope we'll get some money for him) but he was very valuable in the past! some people show to little respect ...
swiss_kopite

Postby JBG » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:01 am

Hamman is one of our best players but I think its time for a new approach. We patently need someone who is more constructive in midfield if we are to progress.

He has been a great servant to the club and one of Houllier's best buys but everything must come to an end and I think that both player and club need to move on.

We won't get our hands on Mackaay or Rafeal Van Der Vaart so its kind of pointless people putting their names forward.

Mackaay is one of the best strikers in Europe and there's no way Bayern would sell him and Van Der Vaart will probably go to Man UTD or Barcelona.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby swiss_kopite » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:09 am

you're right with makaay, but why not invest (and risk) some / much money in Van der Vaart? he's very talented, and as you wrote before: why not compete with european giants like barca? why should he go there if he doesn't know if he's playing or if the club can pay his salary? if he comes to liverpool, he could be a team leader and keyplayer, and every player wants that!
swiss_kopite

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:17 am

I`m afraid its a catch `22` if we dont qualify for the CL then we wont attract top players, and if we do then we need to offload a lot of dead wood, and give whatever transfer funds are available to a manager who can spot talent (not gh). ???
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:18 am

Danny, his workrate has been good and he also has a deep red blood is his body.
Hamann is no good? not in my sense
Baros should go away? You make many many of us laugh.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrLiverpool » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:37 pm

dakoo1981 wrote:I dont think I am alone in saying that this current liverpool team is falling short of meeting everyones expectations. In my opinion I think that big changes in personel are needed. Look how far we have fallen behind arsenal, united and chelsea. Gerrard Houllier's tactics and choices this term have left alot to be desired. Sadly i dont share the same belief in this team as he does, and i find it no surpsrise he is under intense pressure. His excuses arent cutting it anymore.

To be fair though blame should not be placed solely on his shoulders. Its out there on the pitch what really matters. And this team frankly are letting the fans down all over the pitch. The whole team has become stale and we have too many mediocre players. Our star players like Gerrard and Owen will not stay for long if things dont change.

Ive made a list of players I would like to see leave the club this summer, and a list i would like to see join us. Please feel free to share you opinions with me.

Firstly the players who i would want out. I feel that they have given us as much as we can expect from them. I dont think they can help take this club forward.

OUT
Heskey
Biscan
Diouf
Diao
Baros
Murphy
Henchoz
Hamman
Smicer
Cheyrou

I think this is alot of players to get rid of in one season but if we can get the following players i think we will do alot better next season. I also think we can get about £30million for selling all of these players.

Now the players who I would like to see join us

IN
Cisse
Tristan
Mexes/Stam
M. Svensson (Southampton)
Giuly/Malbranque
Van Bommel/Van de Vaart
Wright Phillips
Jay Jay Okocha

I think we should try really hard to get Jay Jay because he will be free in the summer!!! He could definitly make things happen and give ammunition to owen, which he has been lacking in alot this season!

I reckon we could get all of the players above for £50-£60million. Lets hope the club makes it to 4th this season and the board is willing to invest the extra £30 million having sold all of our mentioned players.

Tell me what you think.

Firstly what must be done is houllier leaving.
Then the transfers can happen.

I dont think we should sell Hamann,Baros,Henchoz or Diouf (unless we get a good r.mid to replace him he is undoubtedly the best right mid in the squad). Hamann is a great player and so are Baros and Henchoz.

I think if we get a good manager like Martin O'Neill and got the following players we could challenge for the league next season.

Mexes/Gallas or another class and pacy c.defender.

Cisse/Ibrahimovic

Van Der Vaart/Parker

Van Der Meyde/Melbranque

imagine this team

Kirkland
                Hyypia     Gallas
      Finnan                          Riise 
            Gerrard   VanDerVaart
VanDerMeyde                        Kewell
                   Cisse  Owen

I think that team would be capable of winning the league.

Also these are realiostic targets as Gallas and parker might be p#ssed off with lack of games and games out of position. Cisse no need to explain. Melbranque might want to play for a bigger club. VanDerMeyde has lost his place to stankovic + he is class , remember his goal against arsenal in the CL earlier on in the season. VanDerVaart and Ibrahimovic might want to come and play in england but it would take a lot of persuasion to get them to anfield also there would be a lot of competition to sign them.

why would you want to sell biscan ?  :D
*I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong*
DrLiverpool
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:49 pm

This is not championship manager. It is stupid to sell 10+ players and buy 10+ players. This will ruin moral (it can actually get worse...) and make people feel insecure. I think 4-5 in/out is more realistic. A new MANAGER must be given time and money to build a new team. Forget next season. We will not win the premiership next year. The thing I would like to see next year is a formation and gameplan that works.

Top signings would be:

Guily (Monaco)
Clemente Rodriguez (Boca Juniors- left back)

These players will not be too expensive and both are WORLD CLASS.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion