STANDARD LIEGE VS LIVERPOOL - CL 3rd Qualifying round 1st leg

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:07 pm

Well yet another CL campaign kicks off on Wednesday night against the Belgian champions, who have just won their domestic league for the first time in 25 years. An away goal is vital but whatever the case we should have too much for this lot over two legs.

Is Gerrard fit by the way? If he is I think we'll see something like this.

Reina

Arbeloa  Carra Agger Dossena

Kuyt   Gerrard  Alonso Benayoun

Torres     Keane

This will also be the team that starts at Sunderland imo. I f Gerrard isn't fully fit then there's absolutely no point in risking him and I'm more than happy to see Plessis in the centre of midfield.

I'm going for a 2-0 win.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:12 pm

I don't see Gerrard being fit on time. It also looks like Alonso may stay with us after all!  :)

Plessis to start.

3-1 for the reds
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:19 pm

Remember what happened with Owen a few years ago before he went to Madrid? He was kept on the bench for the Champions League match against Graz in Austria and therefore wasnt cup tied before leaving.

I wonder if the same will happen to Alonso? Some of the clubs who are interested in him are in the Champions League and wont want him if he plays on wednesday night.

Lets hope he plays.......
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:30 pm

Rafa's said he will 'more or less' stick to the side that faced Lazio. I also don't believe Gerrard will be risked yet and Plessis will step up in his place.

This tie should be a formality - we have the quality even without the absentees to ensure safe passage to the Champions League proper. Then, who doesn't know and respect that across the breadth of the continent.

Last time we played these was 43 years ago - December 1965 in the 2nd round European Cup Winners Cup. Prevailing 5:2 on agg.

The team then:

Tommy Lawrence
Chris Lawler
Gerry Byrne
Geoff Strong
Ron Yeats
Willie Stevenson
Ian Callaghan
Roger Hunt
Ian St.John
Tommy Smith
Peter Thompson

Cracking side. I wonder if saint or Nanny Red were going the match then. That must have been a great time to be supporting the Reds...

Anyway I think we'll do a comprehensive job on Standard. Perhaps 3:0 overall.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Owzat » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:33 pm

We lost at home to Marseille, I don't think we should be getting complacent or talking about "formalities"
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Owzat wrote:We lost at home to Marseille, I don't think we should be getting complacent or talking about "formalities"

Goway.

These are in the bag!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Owzat » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:38 pm

red37 wrote:
Owzat wrote:We lost at home to Marseille, I don't think we should be getting complacent or talking about "formalities"

Goway.

These are in the bag!

If they're not, you'll be lynched  :nod
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:40 pm

red37 wrote:

Goway.

These are in the bag!

:D

Red, where are your lengthy, indepth, riddled written posts nowadys ?
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby red37 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:12 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
red37 wrote:

Goway.

These are in the bag!

:D

Red, where are your lengthy, indepth, riddled written posts nowadys ?

Ive lent 'em to bigmick.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:17 pm

red37 wrote:Rafa's said he will 'more or less' stick to the side that faced Lazio. I also don't believe Gerrard will be risked yet and Plessis will step up in his place.

This tie should be a formality - we have the quality even without the absentees to ensure safe passage to the Champions League proper. Then, who doesn't know and respect that across the breadth of the continent.

Last time we played these was 43 years ago - December 1965 in the 2nd round European Cup Winners Cup. Prevailing 5:2 on agg.

The team then:

Tommy Lawrence
Chris Lawler
Gerry Byrne
Geoff Strong
Ron Yeats
Willie Stevenson
Ian Callaghan
Roger Hunt
Ian St.John
Tommy Smith
Peter Thompson

Cracking side. I wonder if saint or Nanny Red were going the match then. That must have been a great time to be supporting the Reds...

Anyway I think we'll do a comprehensive job on Standard. Perhaps 3:0 overall.

It was 3 years later..... 1968 before I started going to the game mate (I'm not that old!) but I was supporting Liverpool and following their results at that time.

The strange thing is 3 years later when I started going, there were only two changes to that team ..... Emlyn Hughes and Alun Evans had come in for Gerry Byrne (out injured) and Willy Stevenson who had left.

I don't think we will risk Gerrard in this game, but hopefully Alonso will play and end all the talk of him going.

Plessis should get the defensive midfield role in a 4-2-3-1 formation, which I think we will use quite a bit in Europe this season, with Benayoun taking the problemmatic Left hand slot even if we make a dramatic signing in the next 24 hours (Yeah right  :D  )
account deleted by request

Postby Dundalk » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:18 pm

What channel is the match on?
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:21 pm

Dundalk wrote:What channel is the match on?

ITV 1 - 8.00 ...... MATCH STARTS AT 8.05
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:24 pm

Nowadays in Europe the richer leagues are richer, and the poorest leagues are poorer. 20 years ago, central europe teams like Anderlecht, Standard Liege, even Austrian (!) teams like Rapid de Viena were teams that could give you a hard afternoon. In the last years the english, italian and spanish leagues are so strong, that those names do not pose the same respect that used to cause.

I expect a comfortable win. I saw the team pretty much worked against Lazio. I also think we'd see something in the lines of the initial post of St Michael.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:27 pm

Dundalk wrote:Remember what happened with Owen a few years ago before he went to Madrid? He was kept on the bench for the Champions League match against Graz in Austria and therefore wasnt cup tied before leaving.

I wonder if the same will happen to Alonso? Some of the clubs who are interested in him are in the Champions League and wont want him if he plays on wednesday night.

Lets hope he plays.......

Yeh ive been thinkin that 2 m8

Pray 2 God he plays :)
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby RedBlood » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:31 pm

Reina

Carragher   Skrtel     Agger  Dossena

Benayoun    Gerrard    Alonso    Insua

Torres     Keane

Plessis if Gerrard isnt fit

subs