So who do you want to replace him ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:11 am

Kharhaz wrote:
Disgraceful some of you are, trying to constantly belittle Houllier's achievements for this club.

Thats not the case at all, your trying to prove that Houllier is on a comparison with Rafa. He isnt. For many reasons, be it transfers, tactics whatever. The fact is Houllier, had the security and financial muscle to build a team, rafa hasnt. He has had to make do with wheeling and dealing, bringing in the free transfers, signing top players while accepting a wage drop. Your arguments are failing. Rafa has been at a major disadvantage compared to houllier and you seem intent on proving otherwise.

Benitez hasn't had money...not this a :censored: gain.

Benitez signings...our most expensive keeper. our most expensive defender. our two most expensive midfielders and our most expensive forward. How much more money does he need. He's spent more than 10 million on five players (Torres, Alonso, Kuyt, Babel and Mascheranho) Houllier spent 10 million plus on three (Diouf, Cisse and Heskey)

But just to prove the point even further, how do you explain the success of Agger who cost 5 million and Arbeloa even less then? Don't they prove that money isn't everything. Everyone (bar me) seems to rave about Aurellio he came on a free surely another example to why money isn't everything. Reina cost less than Cech yet is better. Agger cost less than Carvalho or Ferdinand yet is better. Alonso cost less than Essien, Carrick or Hargreaves yet it better. Torres cost less than Rooney, Shevchenko or Drogba yet last time I checked Torres was outscoring the three of them. So please explain to me why people say Benitez needs money.

Despite him bringing in our most expsensive player in every postition people still assume he needs more. Despite him being able to find bargins people still think it's neccassary to throw another 500 million to him. I really don't see how people can still think he hasn't had enough money.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby VamosRafa » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:33 am

Rafa has done a decent job in the transfer market, I basically feel he :censored: up in the summer of 06, which is the main reason were not challenging right now. Look at the tripe he brought in, Kuyt, Bellamy, Pennant Aurelio, Zenden. I realise he didn't have much money at his disposal but we were looking so good at the end of that season. with a brilliantly balanced midfield and an unbelievable post Chrismas run. He needed to make only 2 signings (Winger and Striker), on his budget he could have brought in at least 1 of real quality. To sign a few duds is one thing, to completely :censored: up a whole summers work is quite another. Rafa must be criticised for his signings during that time
VamosRafa

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:33 am

I said he never had the financial muscle. The pressure is on rafa to get champs league footy because of the money it brings. Like you have said, the UEFA cup is a trophy, however, it doesnt bring the finance to compete with todays game. And this is what I mean. GH could get away with the UEFA cup, rafa would be sacked.
Last edited by Kharhaz on Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:38 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
bigmick wrote:I've been one of Rafa's staunchest critics, but I honestly can't beleive people compare him to Houllier. FFS the Spaniard is in a different league, even when he's Rafa styling!! If Rafa left tomorrow, whoever took over could use the bunch of players he's been left with and have us right up there next season. Houllier on the other hand left Rafa with a heap of dross. Absolutely no comparison in my book, the only really poor signing the manager has made is Kuyt, and even then at least the's a trier and is doing a job for the team on the right.

When you compare him to the likes of Diouf and Diao, he looks like the bargain of the century.

Alright mick so you're saying that whoever takes over tommorrow won't have dross? Intandje, Aurellio, Kuyt, Voronin, Kewell (houllier's signing) to name a few.

Benitez has brought just as much (if not more) dross to this club. Some people seem to hold seem to think we can't criticise his transfers for bringing Torres and Mascheranho just like certain people think he can't be criticised because he won us the European Cup. That's bollox. He deserves criticism whenever he :censored: up and far to often he's :censored: up in transfers.

Next to the fella who said Houllier never won us a big one...Houllier's first four years he'd won us 4 major trophies...UEFA Cup, FA Cup and two league cups. I don't care how you try and decorate it, four trophies are better than two when they're all cup competitions. Also people say it was harder to win the European Cup, well that's total bollox as well. The only trophy we were playing for in the last couple of months of the 05 season was the European Cup. Houllier was still fighting for the FA Cup as well as the UEFA and managed to win both. People complain about Benitez having to put up with Houllier's dross what about the dross Houllier started out with...James, Babb, Harkness, Staunton, an unfit Redknapp, a McManaman who couldn't wait to :censored: off (similar to Owen under Benitez which is always raved about) Paul Ince trying to run the club and a few other :censored: players. Sticking with Houllier's first four seasons he managed to get us eight points behind the winners of the league, Benitez has only managed nine.

Houllier loves this club a sight lot more than Benitez does and far to many people on here forget what Houllier went through for this club and what he achieved while he was here. Well you lot continue to forget that it was down to Houllier why we were in the Champions League giving Benitez the chance to win it in 05. You lot continue to forget that it was Houllier who signed Hyypia, Smicer and Cisse (the penalty goalscorers in Istanbul) You lot continue to forget that it was Houllier who signed Dudek (the man who saved two penalities in Istanbul allowing us to win) You lot continue to forget that it was Houllier who gave Gerrard his debut. You lot continue to forget that it was Houllier who had a heart opportation because of how much time and effort he put into this club. You forget, I won't. This club has alot to be thankful for from Houllier. He may of :censored: up along the way, more times than he should of, but so has this man you now all class as a genius and how many of you laughed at the UEFA Cup success in 2001 eh. Not one of you I bet, you were all over the :censored: moon because we'd won it now it's not important. Well :censored: Mr Shankly as well eh, he only managed an UEFA Cup, how :censored: Mr Bill Shankly must of been eh folks ??? Disgraceful some of you are, trying to constantly belittle Houllier's achievements for this club.

GBJH, give us an honest answer here.  No wind ups, no sticking to your guns just because you've started down this path...an honest answer:

Would you want to see Houllier back at the club as Rafa's replacement?  If so, why?  If not, why not?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Rush Job » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:06 am

bigmick wrote:I've been one of Rafa's staunchest critics, but I honestly can't beleive people compare him to Houllier. FFS the Spaniard is in a different league, even when he's Rafa styling!! If Rafa left tomorrow, whoever took over could use the bunch of players he's been left with and have us right up there next season. Houllier on the other hand left Rafa with a heap of dross. Absolutely no comparison in my book, the only really poor signing the manager has made is Kuyt, and even then at least the's a trier and is doing a job for the team on the right.

When you compare him to the likes of Diouf and Diao, he looks like the bargain of the century.

Alright mick so you're saying that whoever takes over tommorrow won't have dross? Intandje, Aurellio, Kuyt, Voronin, Kewell (houllier's signing) to name a few.

Benitez has brought just as much (if not more) dross to this club. Some people seem to hold seem to think we can't criticise his transfers for bringing Torres and Mascheranho just like certain people think he can't be criticised because he won us the European Cup. That's bollox. He deserves criticism whenever he :censored: up and far to often he's :censored: up in transfers.

Next to the fella who said Houllier never won us a big one...Houllier's first four years he'd won us 4 major trophies...UEFA Cup, FA Cup and two league cups. I don't care how you try and decorate it, four trophies are better than two when they're all cup competitions. Also people say it was harder to win the European Cup, well that's total bollox as well. The only trophy we were playing for in the last couple of months of the 05 season was the European Cup. Houllier was still fighting for the FA Cup as well as the UEFA and managed to win both. People complain about Benitez having to put up with Houllier's dross what about the dross Houllier started out with...James, Babb, Harkness, Staunton, an unfit Redknapp, a McManaman who couldn't wait to :censored: off (similar to Owen under Benitez which is always raved about) Paul Ince trying to run the club and a few other :censored: players. Sticking with Houllier's first four seasons he managed to get us eight points behind the winners of the league, Benitez has only managed nine.

Houllier loves this club a sight lot more than Benitez does and far to many people on here forget what Houllier went through for this club and what he achieved while he was here. Well you lot continue to forget that it was down to Houllier why we were in the Champions League giving Benitez the chance to win it in 05. You lot continue to forget that it was Houllier who signed Hyypia, Smicer and Cisse (the penalty goalscorers in Istanbul) You lot continue to forget that it was Houllier who signed Dudek (the man who saved two penalities in Istanbul allowing us to win) You lot continue to forget that it was Houllier who gave Gerrard his debut. You lot continue to forget that it was Houllier who had a heart opportation because of how much time and effort he put into this club. You forget, I won't. This club has alot to be thankful for from Houllier. He may of :censored: up along the way, more times than he should of, but so has this man you now all class as a genius and how many of you laughed at the UEFA Cup success in 2001 eh. Not one of you I bet, you were all over the :censored: moon because we'd won it now it's not important. Well :censored: Mr Shankly as well eh, he only managed an UEFA Cup, how :censored: Mr Bill Shankly must of been eh folks ??? Disgraceful some of you are, trying to constantly belittle Houllier's achievements for this club.

Who`s having a go at his achievements?

Its his signings thats the problem. :D
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:09 pm

Bad Bob wrote:

GBJH, give us an honest answer here.  No wind ups, no sticking to your guns just because you've started down this path...an honest answer:

Would you want to see Houllier back at the club as Rafa's replacement?  If so, why?  If not, why not?

Well Bob if Houllier was the fella to replace to Benitez than I'd be happy because...he brought success to the club, he brought in a few top class players, he loved the club and he was willing to give the kids ago (even if not many made it)

If Houllier wasn't the replacement then I'd be happy because he made some dreadful buys, he was negative at times and he didn't look as if he could win us the league.

But in all honesty, I wouldn't mind Houllier. I think given the squad BENITEZ would leave, Houllier would have a better chance of winning the league than Benitez.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:55 pm

But in all honesty, I wouldn't mind Houllier. I think given the squad BENITEZ would leave, Houllier would have a better chance of winning the league than Benitez.

What like the squad houllier left benitez with.

Take a look at your post again john and tell me how you justify your last statement.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:08 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:Well Bob if Houllier was the fella to replace to Benitez than I'd be happy because...he brought success to the club, he brought in a few top class players, he loved the club and he was willing to give the kids ago (even if not many made it)

If Houllier wasn't the replacement then I'd be happy because he made some dreadful buys, he was negative at times and he didn't look as if he could win us the league.

Naturally, I completely disagree with you on this, John, but fair play for nailing your colours to the mast on this one.

For the record, I think Houllier did some fantastic things for the club during his tenure and that the core of the squad he assembled has provided Rafa with an essential foundation for our subsequent successes.

That said, I think Rafa is far and away the superior manager in just about every aspect.  I rate Rafa's signings much more than Houllier's, on the whole.  I certainly rate his tactical acumen as vastly superior to the Frenchman's and I completely disagree with any notion that suggests that Houllier cared more for the club than Rafa does.  The only area up for real debate, IMO, is in man management.  Many will rate Houllier higher because his more arm around the shoulder approach.  That said, Rafa took broadly the same players that Houllier had at his disposal for the better part of three years in most cases, and turned them into Champions League trophy winners in the space of a single season--that's some pretty astounding man management in my book.  Some will say he's gone backwards since then when it comes to getting the best out of his players but that, too, is debatable. 

No, for me, Rafa is vastly superior to Houllier in pretty much every department...and that's to take nothing away from the wonderful things the Frenchman achieved with us.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Big Niall » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:22 pm

I've given Rafa plenty of stick - for rotation and not (until this season with Torres) signing a really good attacking player.

But to compare him to GH is a bit insulting to Rafa.

GH was terrible, a total spoofer.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:26 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:Well Bob if Houllier was the fella to replace to Benitez than I'd be happy because...he brought success to the club, he brought in a few top class players, he loved the club and he was willing to give the kids ago (even if not many made it)

Naturally, I completely disagree with you on this, John, but fair play for nailing your colours to the mast on this one.

For the record, I think Houllier did some fantastic things for the club during his tenure and that the core of the squad he assembled has provided Rafa with an essential foundation for our subsequent successes.

That said, I think Rafa is far and away the superior manager in just about every aspect.  I rate Rafa's signings much more than Houllier's, on the whole.  I certainly rate his tactical acumen as vastly superior to the Frenchman's and I completely disagree with any notion that suggests that Houllier cared more for the club than Rafa does.  The only area up for real debate, IMO, is in man management.  Many will rate Houllier higher because his more arm around the shoulder approach.  That said, Rafa took broadly the same players that Houllier had at his disposal for the better part of three years in most cases, and turned them into Champions League trophy winners in the space of a single season--that's some pretty astounding man management in my book.  Some will say he's gone backwards since then when it comes to getting the best out of his players but that, too, is debatable. 

No, for me, Rafa is vastly superior to Houllier in pretty much every department...and that's to take nothing away from the wonderful things the Frenchman achieved with us.

and GH fell out with many many players if reports are true
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Big Niall » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:26 pm

Houllier talked down this club and the team he inherited from Roy Evans (which never finished outside top 4) and made out that finishing 4th was great when he was in charge.

A few months into Rafa's first season he was saying that as the team was doing poorly, it showed that GH was indeed a good manager and should still be there, yet when they won the CL, he said that it was basically his team and this proved that he was a good manager.

Total bluffer, can't stand the fella and never could, he should also have got Owen to sign or leave for a good transfer. Fowler is right about GH.

Cr*p football too - Heskey? ???
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:31 pm

Bad Bob wrote:

Well Bob if Houllier was the fella to replace to Benitez than I'd be happy because...he brought success to the club, he brought in a few top class players, he loved the club and he was willing to give the kids ago (even if not many made it)

Houllier brought success to the club and rafa didn't?  :lookaround
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:35 pm

Big Niall wrote:Houllier talked down this club and the team he inherited from Roy Evans (which never finished outside top 4) and made out that finishing 4th was great when he was in charge.

A few months into Rafa's first season he was saying that as the team was doing poorly, it showed that GH was indeed a good manager and should still be there, yet when they won the CL, he said that it was basically his team and this proved that he was a good manager.

Total bluffer, can't stand the fella and never could, he should also have got Owen to sign or leave for a good transfer. Fowler is right about GH.

Cr*p football too - Heskey? ???

i know! that fecking a$$hole had the cheek to say it was his team. and the way they mismanaged players like westerveld, fowler, camara, matteo, etc

terrible. i thought we had a very very promising scouse team under evans till GH came in and brought his loonies with him
maypaxvobiscum

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:36 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:But in all honesty, I wouldn't mind Houllier. I think given the squad BENITEZ would leave, Houllier would have a better chance of winning the league than Benitez.

What like the squad houllier left benitez with.

Take a look at your post again john and tell me how you justify your last statement.

I don't see what you're getting at igor.

But I'll try and justify it, if Houllier was to inherit this squad tomorrow I personally think he'd have more chance of winning the league than Benitez would with the same squad. It's very well suited to Houllier's style of play. With Alonso, Mascheranho and Kuyt being defensive minded players they suit Houllier's style much easier than Benitez' IMO. Benitez is more the kind of manager who wants the ball to do the work and with all due respect the likes of Kuyt and Mascheranho aren't great passers of a football, although Mascheranho is improving in this department.

I think Crouch would fit perfectly under Houllier who is always keen on the big man. Houllier signed Heskey for Liverpool and John Carew for Lyon. He likes the big man little man and even though Torres isn't a midget he's not the same size as Crouch. So I think under Houllier Crouch and Torres would work very well.

Houllier was always keen on a ball playing centre half (Hyypia) he'd have that replacement in Agger. Same with the right back, Houllier loved Heggem and Babbel who were both attack minded and chipped in with a few goals, so I think Houllier would get the best out of Arbeloa.

So I could see this squad suiting Houllier's style of play very well. We may become even more tedious to watch, and even more one dimensional because I will give Benitez his dues here, he does seem to have three or four plans for a game whereas Houllier only had the one really (throw it upto Owen and see what happened) but I would expect a league title quicker with this squad under Houllier than Benitez.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:37 pm

maguskwt wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Houllier brought success to the club and rafa didn't?  :lookaround

Have I at any point said Benitez didn't bring success? I don't think I have.
god_bless_john_houlding

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion