Michael owen ? - If he goes how do we replace him

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Woollyback » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:18 am

To let Owen go would be foolhardy in the extreme unless we got some ridiculous offer like £50m for him which frankly ain't gonna happen. Keep him, he's England's best striker. 'Nuff said.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrLiverpool » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:22 am

It might happen......

there are idiots who spend millions.......

abramovich......

he was offering 70mil for Henry remember.
*I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong*
DrLiverpool
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adayinthelife » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:23 am

The decision is ultimately down to the man himself and I think if we do get 4th and he is offered a huge contract then maybe he will stay.
I would not get too excited even if we get 4th as Owen has come out on more than 1 occasion and commented on our defensive way of playing and how little service he gets.
It seems pretty obvious houllier will not change his thinking so maybe Owen has had enough even if we finish 4th.
To be honest who would blame him if he didnt sign???
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:34 am

I am not trying to provoke people at this forum. But since I am not running for president or anything. I can actually voice my own opinions and go against the masses.

I think Owen is past his prime. He is as much a part of our problem as any other player. Only player to deserve his current paycheck is Steven Gerrard. If we can get £ 25 mill. for Owen. That would be a great business deal. We could sign two world class strikers for that amount. Guily would cost about £ 8 mill and maybe we can get Viduka for £ 5 million. This leaves £ 13 mill for Cisse. Heck that is three strikers! I would swap Owen for those three guys any day. And so would probably any other guy in this forum. This is about Liverpool FC, not about the current players and staff. I support the club, not Michael Owen. Any player who want to play for us must perform and give 100%. If Salif Diao can't do this, sell him. If Owen can't, sell him too.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby glenbuck patriot » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:37 am

banana wrote:I am not trying to provoke people at this forum. But since I am not running for president or anything. I can actually voice my own opinions and go against the masses.

I think Owen is past his prime. He is as much a part of our problem as any other player. Only player to deserve his current paycheck is Steven Gerrard. If we can get £ 25 mill. for Owen. That would be a great business deal. We could sign two world class strikers for that amount. Guily would cost about £ 8 mill and maybe we can get Viduka for £ 5 million. This leaves £ 13 mill for Cisse. Heck that is three strikers! I would swap Owen for those three guys any day. And so would probably any other guy in this forum. This is about Liverpool FC, not about the current players and staff. I support the club, not Michael Owen. Any player who want to play for us must perform and give 100%. If Salif Diao can't do this, sell him. If Owen can't, sell him too.

You've definitely been on the Whacky Backy!
Pirrie Labour Club 1976 Bill Shankly Prize giving at local ABA Championships.

"You've been booked in to do a three round exhibition bout tonight Bill."

" My fights don't last three rounds SON!"
glenbuck patriot

Postby Woollyback » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:38 am

You can go with or against the masses. You also have to take it in the right spirit if the masses (or even the minority) go against you. Give your opinions, accept the opinions of others - it's the whole point of a forum.   :)
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby glenbuck patriot » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:43 am

Woollyback wrote:You can go with or against the masses. You also have to take it in the right spirit if the masses (or even the minority) go against you. Give your opinions, accept the opinions of others - it's the whole point of a forum.   :)

Wollyback are you a politician, you said a lot there and at the same time absolutely nothing, Should GH let Michael walk or not, would you try and keep him?

glenbuck patriot

Postby DrLiverpool » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:48 am

He already said to keep him unless we got 50mil.
Also he said that he is england's best striker.

I agree
DrLiverpool
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:57 am

Let us be fair. All of us would like to see Biscan, Cheyrou, Heskey and Diao leave. Unfortunately no clubs will pay much for these guys. Maybe Heskey can be sold for £ 2 millions. The others will leave on a free. Maybe we even have to pay them to leave. We have to pay Houllier to leave. That is for sure. The only players we can sell, and actually get some money back is Gerrard, Hamann, Kewell, Baros and Owen. I think we have to sell Owen and Hamann to correct Houllier's wrongdoings. We have to build a new squad and we have to raise money to do so. I think Owen is overrated, so I say sell. Owen, Pongolle and Baros are also very similar. We need more size and strenght. Hamann is a great player but maybe he and Gerrrard is not the best midfield partnership? Maybe we have to pair Owen with a more offensive creative midfielder? These are the kind of sacrifices we have to make.

However, I am prepared to give our squad a second chance if a new manager comes in. I think a new manager will have an immediate and massive impact on our players attitudes.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby glenbuck patriot » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:00 am

DrLiverpool wrote:He already said to keep him unless we got 50mil.
Also he said that he is england's best striker.

I agree

So we get £50 mil for Michael, he's gonna spend it on what? , the likes of ...Cherouy, the next Zidane, Diouff the next Pele, Traore your next milkman, Biscan your next tyre fitter, come on guy's get real the Man is a liabilitywith a "War Chest" full of cash, as I said in another thread Cisse wants to come to US even if we don't qualify for the CL, his MAIN reason the nightlife's sh##e in Auxerre!

glenbuck patriot

Postby DrLiverpool » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:04 am

If you read what I said before that post you'll notce I said "The best option is not to sell.....but if we had to then Henry or Ronaldo to replace him"or something like that.

I do agree that Houllier cant be trusted with money.
But dont worry Houllier will be gone at the end of the season.

Trust me I know
I'm really Parry online :;):
DrLiverpool
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby glenbuck patriot » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:22 am

Oh, well that's alright then you won't give the French pr##k the money :laugh:  :laugh:

glenbuck patriot

Postby azriahmad » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:45 am

Dr. Liverpool, are you sure that Houllier won't be around after this season ends? Looks like he ia unassailable and Moores is in love with him.

I generally agree that Owen can be repalced, Banana mentioned Guily, Viduka and Cisse. Guily has been excellent for Monaco this year and is really an unsung hero, not getting as much publicity as Morrientes. Perhaps these changes may work.

However, given Houllier's very defensive way of playing and the fact that Liverpool's midfielders can't string passes properly, even Henry will struggle to score if he were playing for us.

Owen? You have been a very good servant to Liverpool and if you get a better chance to win the Champions' League, by all means go and improve your game. After all, a player's career span is very short and we can't expect him to keep staying in an underachieving team which does not give him much service due the the playing philosophy of the manager.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:26 am

azriahmad wrote:Dr. Liverpool, are you sure that Houllier won't be around after this season ends? Looks like he ia unassailable and Moores is in love with him.

I generally agree that Owen can be repalced, Banana mentioned Guily, Viduka and Cisse. Guily has been excellent for Monaco this year and is really an unsung hero, not getting as much publicity as Morrientes. Perhaps these changes may work.

However, given Houllier's very defensive way of playing and the fact that Liverpool's midfielders can't string passes properly, even Henry will struggle to score if he were playing for us.

Owen? You have been a very good servant to Liverpool and if you get a better chance to win the Champions' League, by all means go and improve your game. After all, a player's career span is very short and we can't expect him to keep staying in an underachieving team which does not give him much service due the the playing philosophy of the manager.

Agree!
Actually its the manager thats the prob. Heskey though condemned by lots of ppl, i think he can score more if managed properly. Kewell will become world class as expected. Owen will not get injured as often as so on.....
And as the team play better no one would ever want to leave the club.
whylongball?

Postby The_Rock » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:49 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:Listen I have said this before, and now I say it again.

Keegan was replaced by Dalglish.

Dalglish replaced by Rush.

Rush replaced bt Aldo.

Aldo replaced by Rush (again).

Rush replaced by Fowler.

Fowler replaced by Owen.

Owen replaced by ?

I was myself worried when each of them left, Liverpool Football Club will go on and on and on

Yes, owen will eventually be replaced. If we get 35-40 million for him, i would rather we sell him. The team need strengthening in defence and midfield (with class not crass players). This will cost a lot though....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion